Highlighted
Trusted Contributor
Kudos
Views

Re: Technology Tuesday - How to Increase Your Internet Speed at Home

Message 1 of 2

Just some random thoughts on items the video did not cover. Not in any particular order:

1) ISP provided gateways are usually not the best in the WiFi area. You may want to consider bypass the gateway router and use you own better router or add wifi extender.

2) Most routers broadcast in two frequencies. 5 GHz or 2.4 GHz. 5 is faster but the range and wall penetrating power is less. 2.4 is slower but can travel farther. Test both and see which on give you better results.

3) Direct connection with ethernet cable is always better than wifi, but sometime it is not practical. Consider using a power line adapter which kind of turn you house wiring to ethernet cable. Then you can get connected to the router via the wall outlets.

4) If you need to upgrade your router, consider getting the latest "Wifi 6" equipment. You most likely will not see any benefit immediately because most devices are compatible to Wifi 5 or Wifi 4 only. Some new cell phones are already equip with Wifi 6. The other devices will definitely follow in the near future.

5) If you device, especially laptop only has 2.4 wifi frequency band, you can get a 5GHz wifi 5 usb wifi dongle. It is a very inexpensive upgrade and I experienced excellent bandwidth improvement on my laptop. I have not seen any affordable wifi 6 dongle yet.

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Community Manager
Kudos
Views
Replies

Technology Tuesday - How to Increase Your Internet Speed at Home

Message 2 of 2

Have you experienced slow internet speeds while video chatting, streaming movies, or working from home? Try these tips to improve your internet speed ⬇️

Do you have any other tips to share? Hit reply!

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Replies
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users