Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Anonymous
Not applicable

Technology

How do you access this AARP Community Board?

Honored Social Butterfly

I'm with @fffred .  I prefer my desktop with keyboard, mouse, and much larger screen (monitor) than my 8" Android tablet or iPhone.  Since I don't haul my desktop with me, the tablet and phone work when traveling or away from home, but 2-finger/thumb typing on a small touchscreen is a PITA. Much easier (and faster for me) to type with both hands.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Lol @MsStretch I am 100% with you and @fffred . I spend way too much time hitting the wrong keys on my Android ๐Ÿคฃ๐Ÿ˜‚

0 Kudos
Trusted Social Butterfly

A desktop computer connected to a 46" television.  I sit on a recliner 10' from the screen and use a wireless mouse on the arm rest.  I sometimes use a small wireless keyboard that I rest on my lap.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@aruzinsky wrote:

A desktop computer connected to a 46" television.  I sit on a recliner 10' from the screen and use a wireless mouse on the arm rest.  I sometimes use a small wireless keyboard that I rest on my lap.

๐Ÿ’ฅHi @aruzinsky thank you for stopping by to join our discussion! ๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ’ฅ

0 Kudos
Bronze Conversationalist

Mostly  on my laptop as that's the device I open first in the mornings, and close last at night, when I do social media. Once in a while I have used my phone and its dictation feature instead of typing, but the dictation doesn't always get my pronunciations and it's annoying to have to correct the wrong words.

Anonymous
Not applicable

๐Ÿ’ฅLol @DeahWA I have never used it but I have received texts where it was obvious it was used. ๐Ÿคฃ๐Ÿ˜‚ Hugs.๐Ÿ’ฅ

0 Kudos
Gold Conversationalist

@Anonymous 

@DeahWA 

The "dictation" functions are really great, especially on the small screens (keyboards) of smartphones. Yes, I do often have to go back and tidy up stuff. But for some of my long-winded dissertations it's worthwhile. And for some instant messages it's not important, the gist of the point gets through.

25 years ago I used "Dragon" speech-to-text software on a pc. "it...was...very...difficult...to...dictate...like...that". But based on my phone's capabilities I'm tempted to try that software again.

Some of my contacts use iMessage on their iPads and iPhones. I don't care for that system myself, I find it unreliable. But I am forced to use it at times on my iPad. Sometimes I just draft an email in gmail on my computer, then go to the iPad and copy/paste from the draft email into iMessage. Again, this wouldn't be necessary except for my long-windedness (LOL)

Anonymous
Not applicable

@fffred wrote:

@Anonymous 

@DeahWA 

The "dictation" functions are really great, especially on the small screens (keyboards) of smartphones. Yes, I do often have to go back and tidy up stuff. But for some of my long-winded dissertations it's worthwhile. And for some instant messages it's not important, the gist of the point gets through.

25 years ago I used "Dragon" speech-to-text software on a pc. "it...was...very...difficult...to...dictate...like...that". But based on my phone's capabilities I'm tempted to try that software again.

Some of my contacts use iMessage on their iPads and iPhones. I don't care for that system myself, I find it unreliable. But I am forced to use it at times on my iPad. Sometimes I just draft an email in gmail on my computer, then go to the iPad and copy/paste from the draft email into iMessage. Again, this wouldn't be necessary except for my long-windedness (LOL)

๐Ÿ’ฅLol @fffred so you are one those ๐Ÿคฃ๐Ÿ˜‚ I have something on my Android called text-to-speech which I have not looked into ๐Ÿ™„ ๐Ÿ’ฅ

0 Kudos
Gold Conversationalist

@Anonymous 

Ahoy, AngelaVA!

I access the board via:

1 - my laptop/desktop computer (Win 10) with a web browser (generally use Chrome).. This is my preferred medium for "serious posting"

2 - my iPad Mini with web browser. This is nice if I'm lounging on sofa and surfing/reading. The tablet form is nice for reading forums, newspapers, magazines, etc. (still though, for serious research I prefer using my laptop)

3 - I sometimes use my Android phone with web browser. Generally, this mode is for late at night in bed and I will just read. Although sometimes I just have to reply to a post and I really hate doing this on the phone (and the iPad) because it is so tedious to type with one finger and invariably things get messed up. Which is unfortunate because I would only be responding to some urgent/serious post in this scenario!

Anonymous
Not applicable

@fffred wrote:

@Anonymous 

Ahoy, AngelaVA!

I access the board via:

1 - my laptop/desktop computer (Win 10) with a web browser (generally use Chrome).. This is my preferred medium for "serious posting"

2 - my iPad Mini with web browser. This is nice if I'm lounging on sofa and surfing/reading. The tablet form is nice for reading forums, newspapers, magazines, etc. (still though, for serious research I prefer using my laptop)

3 - I sometimes use my Android phone with web browser. Generally, this mode is for late at night in bed and I will just read. Although sometimes I just have to reply to a post and I really hate doing this on the phone (and the iPad) because it is so tedious to type with one finger and invariably things get messed up. Which is unfortunate because I would only be responding to some urgent/serious post in this scenario!

๐Ÿ’ฅThat is awesome you have so many choices @fffred ๐Ÿ˜‰๐Ÿ’ฅ

0 Kudos
Gold Conversationalist

@Anonymous wrote:

๐Ÿ’ฅThat is awesome you have so many choices @fffred ๐Ÿ˜‰๐Ÿ’ฅ

@Anonymous 

I have been known to use smoke signals sometimes when my other systems are down.    <wink>

Silver Conversationalist

@Anonymous iPhone 

Anonymous
Not applicable

@LindaB671 wrote:

@Anonymous iPhone 

๐Ÿ’ฅ@LindaB671  thank you for stopping by to join our discussion. ๐Ÿ˜ No pressure to answer the following. What are the pros and cons of using your device on the AARP Community Board? Thanks, Angela ๐Ÿ’ฅ

0 Kudos
Silver Conversationalist

I like the convenience and ease of using my iPhone. Sometimes the screen is a little small though.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Android

0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Android

๐Ÿ’ฅPros are, convenience. I can access the board when I am out and about. Had to have a funeral for my old Dell Laptop. Cons, lol, my finger always hit the wrong letters and screen too tiny. Thanks, Angela ๐Ÿ’ฅ

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

Desk Top.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@nctarheel wrote:

Desk Top.

๐Ÿ’ฅ@nctarheel thank you for stopping by to join our discussion. ๐Ÿ˜ No pressure to answer the following. What are the pros and cons of using your device on the AARP Community Board? Thanks.๐Ÿ’ฅ

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

OK I have a question has anyone used the newer Windows 10 software for dictation.

Have two friends that want to try dictation software, about all Iโ€™ve used has been my iPhone after rotator cuff surgery and Dragon for Doctors back in the 90โ€™s.

Has pause, dragon pause, improved pause, or pause, is pause, it pause, still pause. Messed up.

Has anyone tried Microsoft voice recognition software itโ€™s part of windows 10. And can be opened with Windows Key and H?

Back to my friends they have strong accents, Scottish and Joisey. Want to try free before jumping fully into software.

No smartphones and only own Windows 10 at the moment.

thanx

Froze

And yes, after long days/nights, I'd still like to swing these hunks of glass , plastic and silicon against the nearest wall Come on retirement!
Gold Conversationalist

@Frozenoem   bit of a delay in my reply. I used to have Dragon software 25 years ago. It. was. painful.

My iPad and my Pixel phone both have speech-to-text transcription.

The iPad is not very great. It's okay but would require a lot of manual editing to clean it up (if I'm going to use the iPad for some long-winded thing I will just type it in an editor and copy/paste into iMessage ...which is about the only thing on the iPad that I would create new sourcwe material).

But the Pixel phone... its "dictation" function is awesome! It works for email, for Telegram, etc. I send new messages or dictate notes to myself, shopping lists, To Do lists, etc. It works so well that I'm tempted to try Dragon again. Or try the built-in Win 10 functions

cancel
Showing results forย 
Showย ย onlyย  | Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Centipedeยฎ and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP