Take the AARP Smart Driver course and you could save on auto insurance! Sign up today.

Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Re: Scan Guard

Message 1 of 21

Since I joined this discussion I downloaded the Malwarebytes and it is a great tool! It removed a lot of junk and blocked many web sites! I am impressed.

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 2 of 21

I use several of the same programs you do. I use the free version of Avast (which in yearly rankings, the free Avast, free AVG and free Kaspersky all rank higher than most paid programs without the bloatware. I believe Commodo may still be available and it used to rank high, but I should check into this again as I haven't come across anyone mentioning it in some time now. But it seems all exchange places in the top 3 each year). I use also use Adblock Plus and the free version of Malwarebytes. I also use SUPERAntiSpyware (the paid version). I also use Avast's site-rating option, which lets you know if a site is known to be safe or not. It's a help to steer you away from bad sites in search engine results. I use Firefox and also use the free InterClue program. It allows you to read many webpages by just hovering over a link. It doesn't work on 100% of webpages (maybe 80%), but if you just want to read something on an interesting looking link but you're not sure if the site it leads to is safe, it's another extra safety measure.

Like you, I don't think you can rely on just one program. It's been years since I've had a virus, but because the bad buys are always ahead of the good guys (since they can't make a fix for a virus or other malware problems until the problem surfaces), I try to take all the free precautions I can. As I mentioned, the only program I get the premium service from is SUPERAntiSpyware, which is rather inexpensive.

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 3 of 21

We use a Norton Internet Security subscription that allows us to protect up to 3 devices. It allows live updates of the software anytime Norton releases new protection, firewall protection, full system scan and a quick scan that scans commonly infected areas and start-up files which takes about 3 minutes to run that will remove ad ware/tracking cookies that we pick up on our computers every time we surf the internet. And I usually run this quick scan before I log off my computer. I think it cost about $75 a year and well worth it.

Kudos
Views
Gold Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 4 of 21

M I use Kaspersky Internet Security and was advised of this virus scanner at the time I bought my computer inmay 2013 from best Buy Best Buy.  For about $100.00 per year you get unlimited remote somputer support and their expertise has saved me many times in the past whwn I had compter issues. One of the best investments I've made and continue to renew annually!

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 5 of 21

I don't use any anti-virus on malware software and haven't for years.  I have run many different versions of linux os and have never needed it.  My os of choice now is ubuntu and it runs clean and fast.

Kudos
Views
Frequent Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 6 of 21

You are 'lucky' you only have a very limited understanding of the problems.

You are only partially correct.  The truth is much worse.  Ever since server side polymorphism SSP was invented in the early 90s the good guys have been losing to the bad guys.  Google it if you like.  Better yet - https://nakedsecurity.sophos.com/2012/07/31/server-side-polymorphism-malware/ Anti virus scanners can't detect SSPs because the malware signiture is unique.  Although hackers will attack you from every angle possible the second most effective attacks anyone that opens the web page without you having to do anything.  Only protection schemes like Blue Coat can protect you from that attack unless an add is infected.  You should always use an add blocker.  Blue Coat has an application open the page before you do then scan the page for an infection.  The most common and successful is where computers attack every IP in a list.  That works like the robo calls were the robot alls evey number in an exchange.  You call unlisted numbers and cell phones that way. A big bot net can scan every computer in the world in 24 hours if the computers are on and connected to the internet.  A study in 2000 measured a average of 2-3 attacks a second for an computer just turned on and connected to the internet.  No doubt that is a small number compaired with today.  These can get around security software using hundreds of different attacks.  You need to block popups like adds.  You don't need to click on a popup to be infected.  Using a hidden port, you can be infected the instant the popup pops.

In the 90s before SSP your virus scanners would find malware every week or two.  That was when there were 2-3 thousand unique malware signitures created in a year.  Today there is over 100,000 found daily.  How come your software hasn't found any?  Because it can't.  A few years back when the head of McAffee anit-virus scanner left the company he confided he was leaving because the software was worthless.  Of the 100,000 malwares discovered in a day less than one aday gets acted on.  Because they are unique, there is no use looking for it on another computer. It would tek years to scan for every signiture found in a year (billions).  They only worry about destructive malware.  They are not going to waist time on something that just spies on you and steals your credit card information. 

All home computers and cell phones have spyware on them no matter what defenses you have.  The only way they know ransomware is on your computer is when it tells you. 

For the last few years malware infects your hardware.  It cant be detected or removed unless you remove the infected hardware.  You just toss the computer but that is stupid since it will just infect the next computer you replace it with within seconds of it starting up. 

How does the security of a site protect you? (https vs http)  It doesn't.  All it does in encrypt the traffic to and from the web page.  That doesn't prevent an infection anymore than the pill prevents AIDs..

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 7 of 21

Great advice. Thanks

Kudos
Views
Silver Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 8 of 21

I would concur. I try to run it at least weekly.

Kudos
Views
Silver Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 9 of 21

I don't rely on just one (there is NO program out there that picks up everything; some are better at this, some are better at that...)

I run Windowes Firewall for one. It's not the best and can be confusing to configure, but it does a decent job. I also run Avast! antivirus, for one thing because it has a really good browser plugin, and it does a good job scanning my emails (it catches, on the average, a couple ransomware emails a week). And, of course tyhe real-time protections that Chrome and Cyberfox have built in. For further scafety, I run MalwareBytes (i run the free version; I have to start it manually, but it does a very good job (caught a rootkit virus recently, that nonoe of the other packages detected). I also run Spybot S&D (Search and Destroy). Takes a bit longer to run, but it dos a very thorough scan. And you can set it to scan the "system", which scans memory and system files, or to scan "files", which does just what you;d think. And it takes a LONG time to run in that mode (obviously). Avast! and the firewall are thonly programs that load at boot time and run always - well, except for Ccleaner, but that's not realy an antivirus thing.

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 10 of 21

I don't know but will investigate! Thank you.

Kudos
Views
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Have you taken a memorable trip to a destination others should know about? Post a Trip Report

city skyline captured on tablet