Eye scans and gene editing are among the new frontiers in Alzheimer’s research! Learn more in AARP’s report on medical breakthroughs.

Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Re: Scan Guard

Message 11 of 21

Info Seeker tc8559098: Wouldn't you agree that running MalwareBytes periodically gives an additional level of protection?

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 12 of 21

Hello, I would give E-Set a good look. I have used it for years and they are very responsive and can handle anything. Best product I ever had to date!

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 13 of 21

I just bought a new Dell laptop recently and Microsft support told me that evrything I needed to protect my laptop came with the OS. They said I did not need to soend eztra money for 3rd party software. So far so good!

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 14 of 21

Yes, but those are magazines paid by SW companies to review their products.  There may be some differential but nothing to justify the cost. US-Cert, NIST and a host of other non-affiliated sites are the best source of info if you are looking for information about this subject

I ran very large data centers as part of my 30 yr career as a CIO\CTO and in the last couple of years myself and my peers began to stop putting in these add-on products since we didn't see the value.  In all that time there was never a single breach.  Infections were caught at the desktop level and cleared. 

The most dangerous are the ransomeware and similar type that none of the vendors will detect and protect against until it has already show up on a multitude of systems.

Don't waste your money or add more bloat SW to your system.  Most of the new paths for attace come through via popups or addes on non-https sites.  Don't click on adds, open attachements from soneone you don't know and make sure your browser enforces https or warns you when you have gone to a site that is not secure.  

Kudos
Views
Trusted Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 15 of 21

"...If you are running Windows 10 the built in Windows Defender app is just as good and sometimes better than anything on the market.  Norton, Scan Guard, etc., won't do anything more for you other than degrage the performance of your machine....". 

Not true according to PC Mag and some other sites. Yes, packages like Norton do degrade your system. But these major anti-virus software packages almost always score a bit better than Defender.

As I read all the time, Defender isn't bad, just not as good as other packages one has to pay for.

"...Why is everyone a victim? Take personal responsibility for your life..."
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 16 of 21

If you are running Windows 10 the built in Windows Defender app is just as good and sometimes better than anything on the market.  Norton, Scan Guard, etc., won't do anything more for you other than degrage the performance of your machine.  

With the new threats out there like ransomware you will more than likely be hit before the softwaremakers issue a package that identifies it.  

The newest version of the web browsers, Chrome and Edge, have made significant strides in trying to prevent you from going to pages that may have something malicious on them so make sure they are up to date.

Kudos
Views
Frequent Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 17 of 21

Kudos to those who replied about Scan Guard. I'll stick with what I have.

Sandee2
Kudos
Views
Trusted Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 18 of 21

What computer/device do you have and what Operating Sytem?

I have McAfee Total Protection and it scans my PC once a week.

I have Windows 10 on both my computers, Desktop and Laptop.

I also use and run the Microsoft Malicious Software Removal Tool once a month.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/malicious-software-removal-tool-details.aspx?id=16

I don't have or use Scan Guard. I suggest you do a lot of research before using anything. A Google search on the product can tell you a lot.

Kudos
Views
Recognized Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 19 of 21
I have used Panda Security product for over a decade. Having worked in IT for 30+ years, it is, imho, the best value and the most protective product, and easy to download, install and use (almost 0 user intervention required).

There are other products out there that are good, but I have Panda installed on all family, extended family and friends computers that I set up and no one has ever complained or called me to turn it off or reported malware, virus, or cyber-attack.

Keep in mind, there is also the question "can I uninstall if I don't like it?". Everything I've read about the product you're asking about points to "sure; if you have a lot of patience." (same thing I have read about other free protection software.

Sometimes free or low cost is something to consider thoughtfully. The old adage is true, in my experience, especially when it comes to computers and software: "You get what you pay for."

#VegasStrong

#NeverTrump

Phil Harris, actor and showman, to John Fogerty of CCR: “If I’d known I’d live this long, I’d have taken better care of myself.”
Kudos
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 20 of 21

One year old and they still get a "FAIL", not worth the download from me. More SCAM than Scan.

Microsoft forums

BleepingComputers

Still give it a not worth downloading.

In closing if you still might like to try it. Don't, not worth it.

Frozen

Kudos
Views
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Roundtable Discussion:
Ask questions and get advice from fellow entrepreneurs