Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Question anyone using a free OS

Honored Social Butterfly

Question anyone using a free OS

Looking for a free simple to use OS for non-computer people and need suggestions.

Windows I’d need to sell Operating system to remain Microsoft vendor. Don’t mind giving computer trade-ins and ups but, OS would put me in legal bind.

So who uses free OS’es. And what version do you find as simple-est to use.

Some internet and some excel-like spreadsheet usage. For requirements.

Linux what version?

Ubunto?

or Reactos?

Or another please fill in the blank?

The recipients don’t have 501c3 tax exempt status so, can’t get free Win10 OS via Non profit donations.Already had that thought.🤣

Any ideas would be appreciated, something irks me about hauling good starter systems to dump, or parting out. Would prefer to give as usable systems with free operating systems and no, I can’t reuse a scrubbed hard drive it’s not allowed under my agreements.

Froze

And yes, after long days/nights, I'd still like to swing these hunks of glass , plastic and silicon against the nearest wall Come on retirement!
0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

Loaded and playing with it now.

considering the number of times I’ve recovered Windows all varietieties using Linux District.

Thoughr you might like to check this out.

https://www.zdnet.com/article/hell-freezing-over-microsoft-readies-its-own-linux-for-windows/

Froze

And yes, after long days/nights, I'd still like to swing these hunks of glass , plastic and silicon against the nearest wall Come on retirement!
0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

@aruzinsky 

It’s loaded but, still haven’t been using it. Had a rush build come in, and have been cussing at it.

The new build, old fingers, magnifiers and 64 super-tiny loctited screw.🤬

So, it’s been sitting and waiting patiently, the laptop also has a slight issue it’s charger is past its prime. Have extra charger and need to turn voltage down.

Figure after the river recedes, I’ll have an idea of whether this will or won’t work. Best guess, I prefer the 64-bit OS - all drivers found🤣.

Including printer👍

Best I can say for the moment, setup was a breeze, and I have run off memory stick in the past.

Spring in Maine from blizzards, to high winds, rain to snowmelt, and flooding - it’s fun and warm.

Froze

0 Kudos
Trusted Social Butterfly

@Frozenoem wrote:

@aruzinsky 

It’s loaded but, still haven’t been using it. Had a rush build come in, and have been cussing at it.

The new build, old fingers, magnifiers and 64 super-tiny loctited screw.🤬

So, it’s been sitting and waiting patiently, the laptop also has a slight issue it’s charger is past its prime. Have extra charger and need to turn voltage down.

Figure after the river recedes, I’ll have an idea of whether this will or won’t work. Best guess, I prefer the 64-bit OS - all drivers found🤣.

Including printer👍

Best I can say for the moment, setup was a breeze, and I have run off memory stick in the past.

Spring in Maine from blizzards, to high winds, rain to snowmelt, and flooding - it’s fun and warm.

Froze

Just in case you missed it, during installation, you are presented with a desktop with an icon that says "Install" on it. That desktop may fool you because Linux is not installed until after you double click that icon.  After installation, you are presented with a welcome screen with tabs to update and install new software and drivers.  If your internet connection works, updating is easy from that welcome screen.

0 Kudos
Trusted Social Butterfly

Had you paid attention, from here,

https://community.aarp.org/t5/Computer-Questions-Tips/How-to-Build-a-Gay-Computer/td-p/2102599

you would know that I used Linux Mint Cinnamon 19 (64 bit). 

I bought it on a DVD for $5.95 here

https://www.osdisc.com/products/linux/linuxmint

It may interest you to know that I recently installed and successfully activated Windows XP Professional OEM from a DVD that I previously used to install XP on another computer about 15 years ago.  After the installation software failed to connect with the activation server on the 5th or 6th try, it activated.  I was surprised.  Only a few browsers work on XP.  I settled on Mustang.

Honored Social Butterfly

@aruzinsky 

Not surprising on XP but, I’m reseller for 1 more year, I don’t mess with M$, I’m small they’re huge better lawyers.😇 Would like Company to continue after I’m But, a memory.Remember what’s his name?

I’ve used Linux before and even Red Hat, Knoppix,Unix,  etc, for recoveries and dual boot situations, and some work.

Never as stand alone system, not aware of it’s joys as an operating system, merely as a tool.

Can it handle a simplified excel type spreadsheet, inventory and WP with drivers for HP or Canons.

There’s another OS, They want Android but, no faith in it as OS.Updates are slow in reality.

Will support for a year then I’m gone🤣 for warmer climes. Want it relatively bullet proof for updates for noobs.

Wanted a backup plan, for their b/u plan.

https://www.ubuntupit.com/top-10-best-windows-alternative-open-source-operating-system/

Have been looking at Mint seriously for last several days. 

Will be loading it on 2 machines with a couple other maybe os’es built on Debian or Linux. One display will be touch screen .

Drivers can be such a pita. Why I asked for input from real users.

Touch screen is wish list item for another user, maybe.

Personally I kinda like Mint, could grow used to it and may try other than as boot stick on one of my laptops.

But, then need an AV they “Linux” have had malware and viruses in past.

Have been perusing Linux.org

and “naked Security 2016”.

Froze

0 Kudos
Trusted Social Butterfly

@Frozenoem wrote:

@aruzinsky 

Can it handle a simplified excel type spreadsheet, inventory and WP with drivers for HP or Canons.

Just for you, I tested my Canon IP 2820, and it worked on my Linux Mint Cinnamon 19 (64 bit) withoput downloading additional drivers.

I am unfamiliar with Excel but there is LibreOffice for Linux and I am slightly familiar with the Windows version.

As far as I can tell, Linux Mint Cinnamon 19 (64 bit) works well without having to download many drivers.  The only driver that I remember adding was a graphics driver to display via an HDMI cable to my TV.  Most remarkably, my ethernet Internet connection worked without additional drivers.  Even Windows 7 required me to install an ethernet driver from a dvd.

In contrast, I never could get Internet to work on an older version of linux  (v.16?).  It apparently expected a DSL connection and I had a telephone modem.  It was very frustrating.

A word of caution.  During installation, Linux uses ambiguous names for your hard drives like "sd1".  If you have multiple hard drives, before you install linux, to be safe, disconnect the SATA cables (leave the power connections) from all of the hard drives that you don't want linux on.  The good news is that, unlike Windows, Linux can be installed on an external drive, hard or flash.  I have mine installed on an external USB 3.0 SSD.

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

@aruzinsky 

Thanx, will be loading on extra laptop sometime this week or by Tuesday latest. Rolling blackouts and snowstorms, getting old with flickers and generator start-ups.

Cinnamon sounds good, have an extra clean 500 Gb kicking about. And a loaded memory stick in cinnamon version can’t recall, 18.1 or 18.3?

Already aware of sda1 and few other cuss words.”fsck”

maybe. Have a tradepub ebook/*.pdf on little used Linux operation and commands.

Only need stable power, and lack of back pain, my favorite Triplett just bought the farm, 3 smoking cells 🤬 later.

Froze

0 Kudos
Trusted Social Butterfly

@Frozenoem wrote:

@aruzinsky 

Thanx, will be loading on extra laptop sometime this week or by Tuesday latest. Rolling blackouts and snowstorms, getting old with flickers and generator start-ups.

Cinnamon sounds good, have an extra clean 500 Gb kicking about. And a loaded memory stick in cinnamon version can’t recall, 18.1 or 18.3?

Already aware of sda1 and few other cuss words.”fsck”

maybe. Have a tradepub ebook/*.pdf on little used Linux operation and commands.

Only need stable power, and lack of back pain, my favorite Triplett just bought the farm, 3 smoking cells 🤬 later.

Froze

How did it work out?

0 Kudos
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Block Champ and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP