Refresh your driving skills and learn about new car technology with the AARP Driver Safety page.

Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Re: Pros & Cons of Different Types of Devices

Message 1 of 18

Aside from the challenge of small screens, Excel executes in crippled mode on non-computer devices, if at all. This is especially true if you use pivot tables and analysis packs. Array formulas are also iffy in most cases. 

I use a lightweight laptop in addition to my desktop and critical files are synchronized between the two with Dropbox. Except for Photoshop, the two computers have the same applications. So, Office files can be viewed and edited between the two computers. Calendars, contacts and mail are also synchronized between the computers as well as my iPhone.

If you are able to live in the Google environment, then a Chromebook is a simple and inexpensive solution. It is basically a Chrome browser on steroids running on a tailored hardware platform. Your files and applications reside on Google's servers and mostly require internet connection to operate. Applications available are only those pre-loaded on the servers or those you select from the Google Store. Recently many Android apps are becoming available for Chromebook. I have viewed, edited and interchanged MS Office files using Google Docs applications without any problems. Your files are automatically on your Google Drive and available via any other Chromebook or Chrome browser.with your login. Chromebooks cost about $300 or less.

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 2 of 18

DON'T THROW AWAY THE BOX!  I bought an I-phone at Target, left the box at home, hated (still hate) the I-phone. NO ONE (Target, Apple, Verizon, etc.) would accept the I-phone without the box. I don't like the I-phone at all. Had to have it replaced within 3 months. After the OVER-expensive contract runs out, I'm going back to a cheap flip phone. I just read that flip phones are sellling fast in Japan, since people are tired of paying these outlandish bills! 

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 3 of 18

As a retired IT guy, our household has several laptops, two Android WiFi tablets and 2 smartphones. My wife will soon give up her iPhone 4S for a flip phone. She finds it too slow and too hard to use. She reaches for my Android phone in the car to look up things. I use my phone as a wifi hotspot for the laptops and tablets when we are traveling.

Excel is indeed too cumbersome to use on a tablet except view data.

I don't trust the cloud for my important data. I assume any data in the cloud is no longer private. I use an app called B-Folders for contacts, logins/passwords, notes and credit card info for online purchases. All data within the app is encrypted.  B-Folders runs on Windows, Android and IOS. It has an encrypted sync feature that syncs between any version over wifi. While data entry is possible on all my devices, I do most of it on a laptop then sync with the other laptops,  phone and tablets.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 4 of 18

I use an iphone, ipad and a Mac computer. My files are accessible without going through a lot of work. All my files are in the cloud which makes it super simple to access at any time.

Kudos
Views
Respected Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 5 of 18
Last thought re guides to using smartphones in general without promises try tradepub dot org/com/ I can't remember what or which, and I'm back on the phone so, I can't access that email at this time.

The joy of smartphones I really don't want all my email accounts appearing on one phone even with a Microsoft Outlook app on the iPhone.
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 6 of 18

Try going to http;//www.Makeuseof.com and searching for both Android or iOS smartphones for a brief rundown or guide to using the things. And lifehacker or if

you know what type of smartphone and and it's OS - I might be able to find a guide of tips for it or a book on the OS for a reading type course.

No promises on guides or books .- I get so many links and downloads courtesy of lists that I can barely keep up with regular reading for (dare I say it) enjoyment.

Frozen

Kudos
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 7 of 18

I'm not particularly impressed with the Dell mouse that came with my PC, but haven't gotten around to replacing it.

I just shake my head, when people say they're afraid to retire .. because they'll get bored! I just signed up for the last class in a Non-Profit Management program I've been taking, for a bus tour to Trenton/Princeton, and for the college's annual "Women's Conference." I was hoping they'd have a class on using your smart phone (this is their Lifelong Learning program), but they don't! Smiley Sad

Registered on Online Community since 2007!
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Trusted Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 8 of 18

"...One of my best time investments in H.S., was learning how to type .. long before even mainframe computers were common in offices. (Mom warned that she wouldn't type my college papers for me). So I know exactly what you mean about "feel". I even replaced the keyboard that came with my Dell PC in 2012, with a Logitech keyboard, because I hated the FLAT keys the Dell had.....".

Interesting. I actually went to a junior high school where typing was a class, required. So, by high school, I was typing. And yes, it ended up being required later on by many teachers so it was invaluable (but some of the worst times I remember is trying to correct typos with correction liquid!!!!).

I know what you mean about the keyboard. We upgraded our PC 4 years back, but kept the old Microsoft keyboard because the keys are all raised. We have the shiny new keyboard that came with the machine sitting in a cabinet with its' flat keys. 

"...Why is everyone a victim? Take personal responsibility for your life..."
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 9 of 18
Have got to watch return on an iPhone.
I had three M$ surface in for repairs during each of 3 releases.
Reason touch screen cracked while being used near an open window at 30*. Not warranted repair and know. Problem.
Device works but no longer touch screen, now they require mouse or externall touch screen monitor.

I still love Lenovo and IBM and my own brand of laptop for keyboard and trackpad but, that's prbably due to using same brand since DOS rocked.
And pretty much everything made today will connect to TV when I reay don't want too useprogressives eyewear.

My iPhone im semi contented with I just prefer no glasses when using so,I use the large font. You can do spreadsheets with the pinch feature on most smartphones and M$ does have iOS apps.
You need research my thrill came m$ released an outlook app for my iPhone. Yes, it's pricey smartphones in general but, my plan has discounts.

Best thoughts are buy a Otter Armor case whatever smartphone you may.buy. I've dropped my phone I lakes and off cliffs, and driven over one with a snowplow it still works.

Frozen
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 10 of 18
About the only suggestion I can offer is so heAvy research and annoy salespeople into spending at least an hour playing with anything new to you.
Kudos
Views