Getting ready to enroll in Medicare? AARP’s Medicare Made Easy has the resources you need to help you make the right choices.

Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Re: Password Manager?

Message 51 of 74

Makes no sense (to me) to have an app know or genrate all your passwords.  Every website is hackable.  What makes a passowrd manager website immune?

Then there is the "inside man (person)" possibility.  All companies can have greedy or vengeful employees thatsell or give out the sensitive information.  Even the CIA and FBI has had employees who have done this with a ling prison sentence hanging over them.

98% of my passwords are the same for frivolous websites.  Who cares if they hack that password?  Just vary/change the password for the very few websites that are important.   

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 52 of 74
Spoiler

I use LastPass and have done so for years. I only have to remember three passwords, one for my phone, one for my laptop, and one for LastPass. I can launch webpages right from LastPass and have the userid and password auto fill. All of my passwords are unique and random, nothing that could be guessed, and I don't have to remember any of them. Other family members also use LastPass, and we can share passwords with each other.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 53 of 74

I would be lost without my password manager.  I use the one in Safari.  I also have my passwords on index cards and keep them updated with changes to passwords.  There are 59 cards.

Kudos
Views
Bronze Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 54 of 74

I've used StickyPassword for some years, now, and find it a godsend.  Since one of the most egregious failures of password usage is using the same password for multiple accounts, SP generates a brand new password (according to user specs) for each account.  (You can also create your own password and SP will tell you its strength).  It can be set to automatically log one in to the designated website.  One master password, which only the user knows, accesses SP's encrypted database.  You can also sync with any other device.  

I was an early adopter of StickyPassword, and was gifted with a lifetime membership, so I don't know about costs.  I think you can use their freeware for a limited number of accounts.

Whatever program you opt for, for heaven's sake use one that will generate strong passwords for each account/website/login you have.  

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 55 of 74

I have used Roboform for years and I love it.

I paid for a subscription to Roboform Everywhere, which allows me to access my passwords from any computer, anywhere, and log in with my password without having to type it in, which means my passwords cannot be hacked in an unprotected hotspot.

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 56 of 74

I bought a password vault from Sharper Image, which operates by battery, which was supplied when I purchased it.  I have had it over a year now, and I have not had any problems.  It is definitely worth the investment!!

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 57 of 74

How many sites do you access and how many DIFFERENT 15 numbers/letters/special characters do you use?  Do you use 2 factor authorization using your smartphone?  If you don't use a long/strong passphrase you are asking for trouble.  2 factor authorization can be broken if someone hacks you SIM (steals your phone number).  Be safe!

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 58 of 74

I agree.  I have been using it for years also.  It has served my needs.  When contacting support for help, they respond in a timely manner.  I love the face recognition with my iphone.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 59 of 74

I use "LastPass".  I have the purchased the full subscription.  I have been very happy with the program's features.  I would recommend this program to anyone looking for a password manager program.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 60 of 74

I have used Lastpass for several years.  Works well and I have had zero issues.  As stated the personal version is free.

Kudos
Views