AARP and the photographers of Magnum Photos look at older people living in new ways around the world in A New Age.

Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Re: PC junk files, etc.

Message 1 of 12

Bitdefender is not the only option though. There are several as well that can grab on discount.

All the best.

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 2 of 12

Hi Sandee,

Unfortunately, it is hard to get rid of all the junk files, viruses, and malwares from your computer for free. You can find free software but my experience tells me that they're not as efficient as the paid ones.

Think from the perspective of a business.

If I have to create an antivirus today. I'll have to invest time, money, and several other resources in its development. Do you think I'll sell it free in the market?

Never.

I’d only sell it free if I had invested zero resources in its development. If this happens to be true, you can assume what kind of antivirus it will be.

So, you've to go for a paid antivirus. I understand they're expensive. AVG is no different.

You can try BitDefender. It is not free but you can grab it at 85% discount. It is a decent antivirus that updates its virus database quite often. Here is a link where you can get discount coupon: https://www.couponbuffer.com/coupons/bitdefender/

I hope it will help.

Thanks, Eddy.

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 3 of 12

I'd agree with Froze. 

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 4 of 12

Hi Sandee to answer your question the first thing you can do is go get sophos home,.it covers  up to 10 devices and is FREE and then onc eyou have it uninstall AVG then reboot then load up sophos and run a scan while this can take some time it is worth it,also a good malware scanner and ransomware protection is essential,for links to these go here

www.avwizmedia.com/prgms.html

Kudos
Views
Gold Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 5 of 12

I've been using CCleaner for years. Get it.

I also use the free version of Avast! and Spybot Search & Destroy. Plus whatever Win 7 Pro has. Also keep your machine updated with all the Security updates.

Kudos
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 6 of 12

For malware - try malware bytes free, and super anti malware bytes. Both are free and I vouch for, use on some computers to clean malware infestations.

For really stubborn malware, spyware, rootkits,spyware,adaware,worms,etc.

anti malware are after your infected, and generally when I'm called by nervous people. Even Mac owners😄

Froze

Kudos
Views
Frequent Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 7 of 12

Glarysoft ?! Never heard of it, & I've looked at about all there is in the way of clean-up tools. No one else I talked to heard of it either. I'm thinking of Avast.

Sandee2
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Info Seeker +
Kudos
Views

Message 8 of 12

Hi Sandee,

If you were using the free version of AVG, you wouldn't be in trial and AVG free edition does, in fact, scan and remove. You must have downloaded the pro version, which has a trial period, which is not difficult to do. It's easy to skip the option to download the free.

I've used both paid and free antivirus softwares. In terms of free, I recommend Avast Antivirus, unless you'd rather use the AVG free. It's really your choice. Avast has come up well in AV tests, etc. but I think either one is okay.

I also use CCleaner (the company is PIRIFORM - be careful when you search for it, as scammers use that word/phrase often to get you to download their product). I  also recommend Super Antispyware Free Edition. You can find this one at superantispyware dot com. Again, make sure it's the right software.

Both of these have to be run manually and do coexist alongside your antivirus.

Feel free to ask if this isn't clear - I do tech support, and no problem if you need more info/help. You might have already dealt with this. If so, hope it all went well!

“I don't think of all the misery but of the beauty that still remains." ~ Anne Frank
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 9 of 12

@ss11943859 wrote:

I was using AVG Free, & now the trial is over. Scans found junk files, inefficent system settings & other

problems. They tell me I need to upgrade to Pro Version in order to repair things. Isn't there something else I can do to speed up & clean my pc without paying for it ?

Glary Utilites is both free and cleans up quite nicely.  It removes junk files, cleans up the registry, defrags your disk, and improves speed.  They do have a paid version but I've used the free one for years. It's at:

http://www.glarysoft.com/

Kudos
Views
Frequent Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 10 of 12

Ok ! Will try this !  Woman Very Happy

Sandee2
Kudos
Views
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Have a question about AARP membership or benefits? Ask it in the AARP Help Membership forum, Benefits & Discounts forum, or General forum.

multiple white question marks with center red question mark

Top Authors