Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Honored Social Butterfly

May 2019 Update for Win10

Will have issues if you don’t pull USB external drives or SD cards.

The error message you will receive is,”This PC can’t be upgraded to Windows 10.”

To resolve the problem, remove external Hard drives and SD devices and restart installation.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4500988/windows-update-blocked-because-of-drive-reassignmen...

https://www.zdnet.com/article/microsoft-blocks-windows-10-may-2019-update-on-pcs-that-use-usb-storag...

Froze

And yes, after long days/nights, I'd still like to swing these hunks of glass , plastic and silicon against the nearest wall Come on retirement!
Honored Social Butterfly

I think I’m loving Windows 10 updates presently, 300 computers later and problems were expected👍.

Grand total of two issue, pulled plug on external drives no issues. Updated flash for a couple of people and that’s it.Even 7 to 10 original upgrades worked with new patches.

Major improvement over olden days when updates killed everyone’s computer or deleted their files.

On that cheery note might even get patch Tuesday fixed soon, it’s coming🤣.

Froze

And yes, after long days/nights, I'd still like to swing these hunks of glass , plastic and silicon against the nearest wall Come on retirement!
0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

Reports of issue with some AMD cpu’s Getting the update.

https://www.zdnet.com/article/windows-10-may-2019-update-installation-stops-on-some-amd-systems/

If you have the above issue, link gives fix.

And this update would be the one to pull memory cards or backup plugged into usb.

Also be certain you use 32/64 Gb USB’s for total install flash drives -using media creation tool, it’s a new requirement of Win10.

When Windows is happy we’ll all get our updates, maybe.🤣

Froze

0 Kudos
Trusted Social Butterfly

"The culprit, the company said, was a set of AMD RAID drivers that are not compatible with the Windows 10 May 2019 update."

That is a lie.  The truth is, "The Windows 10 May update is not compatible with a set of AMD RAID drivers."  If the RAID drivers worked with previous versions of Windows, it is 100% Microsoft's fault.

Incidentally, my computer with ASUS motherboard automatically updated in May.  The only reason  I know this is because I remember Microsoft effeminately nagging me to restart my computer.

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

The latest Windows 10 update, which is rolling out now, has thrown up
at least three highly reported problems for users. The most significant
is that some computers are losing WiFi access. The Windows 10 May 2019
update affects some computers which have a Qualcomm WiFi adaptor and
don't yet have the latest driver for it. A driver is a small piece of
software that helps a hardware device or component interact with an
operating system. Some users in this situation have suffered what
Microsoft is calling an "intermittent loss of WiFi connectivity." It's
responded by blocking the update ...

https://betanews.com/2019/05/28/windows-10-may-2019-update-wi-fi-problems/

Fix update driver from Qualcomm before downloading update.

For others -

Update Doesn't Always Install

Meanwhile some users who use AMD processors are finding the Windows 10 May 2019 update doesn't install at all, and instead freezes up before anything happens. Again, Microsoft says it's a driver problem and getting the latest system chipset drivers from AMD should get the update running smoothly.

The third problem isn't with the Windows 10 May 2019 update itself, but rather to a patch designed to fix the update. The patch is currently being tested with the Windows 10 Insider program, which is a select group of users willing to run Windows 10 beta software before it gets released to the general public.

Sandbox Feature Blocked

In this case the patch has caused a particularly embarrassing problem by stopping Windows Sandbox from working. That's a recently added feature in the Windows 10 May 2019 update that lets users run software in a completely isolated way so that any bugs or security problems don't affect the rest of the machine. This could be a very beneficial feature if testing software from an unknown source to see if it contained malware. (Source: theinquirer.net)

Easiest fix for most issues - update drivers.

And prayer.

@aruzinsky 

Your update probably went painlessly because relatively new build. Same as Cat's.

I update darn near everything because I get daily reports across many journals.

More than I can recall.

*If your really wild and crazy some can update now, and M$ will in theory allow you to jump the throttle download and just update.

*your risk. Follow instructions.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10?

BUT, please remember it’s reported that most users of Windows 10 (61.5%) of users, are still running the update from one year ago🤬 April 2018.

Version 1809 is being run on 31.3 % of all worldwide users computers.

Version 1903 the latest is 1.4 % worldwide.

And not, the one from December or all the other mini or monthly Tuesday updates.

Froze

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

@aruzinsky 

You might enjoy this update of it actually loads, or if you choose to delay it.

Promises new features that might be promising.

Froze

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

Has anyone successfully installed these updates?  I've tried multiple times on both my desktop and laptop without success.  It gets about halfway through and then stops aborts, then rolls back the changes.

I've removed USB flash drives, the only USB devices left is wireless mouse and keyboard (on the desktop)

0 Kudos
Social Butterfly

@TxGrandpa2  I upgraded my Desktop and Laptop today with the May 2019 update. On my Desktop I didn't have any problems, but my Laptop did.

My Laptop is a Dell Inspiron 5558, CPU is Intel i7, 16 GB of RAM and a One TB HD. The first try of the update failed and gave me a message of Unexpected Store Exception, the second try stalled at around 48%. I was able to get it installed the 3rd time.

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

Tx

So far so good on all the update, loaded successfully.

Which kb# is your big failure on desktop and laptop. 

Start>Settings>Update &Security>View Update History>Quality Updates-should be your latest install or fails.

But vary from computer to computer.

And what’s your OS build info.about page.Windows spec’s>Version 1809

OS Build 17763.529

Might give a hint on which are missing from your updates.

Froze

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

@Frozenoem wrote:

Tx

So far so good on all the update, loaded successfully.

Which kb# is your big failure on desktop and laptop. 

Start>Settings>Update &Security>View Update History>Quality Updates-should be your latest install or fails.

But vary from computer to computer.

And what’s your OS build info.about page.Windows spec’s>Version 1809

OS Build 17763.529

Might give a hint on which are missing from your updates.

Froze

These are the fails I've had.  Apparently the numbers in parentheses after the update numbers is the attempts I've tried:

Feature update to Windows 10, version 1903 (8)

Last failed install attempt on ‎5/‎23/‎2019 - 0xc1900209

Feature update to Windows 10, version 1809 x64 2019-05 (9)

Last failed install attempt on ‎5/‎19/‎2019 - 0xc1900101

I rarely use the laptop, in fact last used it when we evacuated for the floods from Harvey in 2017;  but still have kept updates current until now.

I'm really not interested in the added features, just security updates, etc.

I've downloaded the updates on USB from Microsoft to see if that works.  Will advise for info of others.

UPDATE:  the download was to reinstall Windows 10, leaving apps that are good.  The problem is USB, but keyboard and mouse are USB devices apparently blocking update. 

Will keep experimenting.

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

TX

your second error code for v.1809 is a device driver error.

Run the Windows Update Troubleshooter.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/10587/windows-10-get-help-with-upgrade-installation-errors

Best guess if your using something like an Intel motherboard and video driver for onboard display you may need to update it via the Intel website.

One problem at a time.

Your first listed error is showing incompatible software is blocking the update to Version 1909

https://www.thewindowsclub.com/windows-update-error-0xc1900209-incompatible-software-is-blocking-the...

You need to fix your second error first. Love computers yet.

That might bring you closer to updating for 1909.

Sorry for discombobulated steps but, on iPhone for moment.🤣

Froze

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

@Frozenoem wrote:

TX

your second error code for v.1809 is a device driver error.

Run the Windows Update Troubleshooter.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/10587/windows-10-get-help-with-upgrade-installation-errors

Best guess if your using something like an Intel motherboard and video driver for onboard display you may need to update it via the Intel website.

One problem at a time.

Your first listed error is showing incompatible software is blocking the update to Version 1909

https://www.thewindowsclub.com/windows-update-error-0xc1900209-incompatible-software-is-blocking-the...

You need to fix your second error first. Love computers yet.

That might bring you closer to updating for 1909.

Sorry for discombobulated steps but, on iPhone for moment.🤣

Froze

Decided to let this ride for a while and analyze what is common between the laptop and desktop since the problem is shared by both.  The laptop is only several years old while the desktop is older and came with Windows 7 installed.  (tells the age!)

Thanks for the assistance and will make a note of your advice. 

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

Tx,

I only bad mouth Win7 if still in use, my favorite laptop is 7 Upgrade to 10.

The joy of some updates are they broke with patches by M$ and changed drivers with weird stuff.

My I7 worked great until I needed to futz about with new driver that came from M$, needed to download fix from Intel they made the motherboard and video card.

You might get the idea life isn’t always roses, in updates. Now back to the joy of building an I9 desktop🤣.

Froze

0 Kudos
Trusted Social Butterfly

So what?  That's Microsoft's problem, not mine.

Windows recovery disks have a long history of not working because of disk reassignments and an inability to allow the user to browse for backup files. The Windows 7 version only knows the disk configuration when Windows was first installed.  I now backup Windows using 3rd party software with recovery disks that allow me to browse for backup files.

0 Kudos
Contributor

Thank you for sharing benefit

0 Kudos
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Block Champ and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP