Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Looking for a phone handset that sits on a desk, but uses a cell phone SIM

Contributor

Looking for a phone handset that sits on a desk, but uses a cell phone SIM

I am looking for a product that may not exist.  An elderly relative with dementia regularly doesn't hear the ringing of the cell phone.  It may be in a pocket or bag, or it might not be charged.

I think it would be easier if I found a phone that looks like a (now old fashioned) desk phone, but will work with the SIM card.  A land line would be too expensive and the apartment has cable TV but no reliable internet access.

Is anyone using a phone like that?  It would need to work with a current SIM card.  I understand that there are some options out there for older/non-used systems from the past, but those would not be helpful.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
Conversationalist

This may be a simplier way. Just get one of the corsdless phone units with bluetooth. Most cell phones have bluetooth. Sync the cell phone with the cordless phone and you can use the cell service with whatever number of hand sets you want arount the house. The cell phone can be placed at a location of the house with the strongest signal and on charger. The base station of the cordless phone just placed near by within the bluetooth range.

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

Adding to my last post -

They seem to be out there but who knows as far as quality.

Amazon - Wireless GSM Desktop Phone - Desktop Style Phone with SIM Card Slot by The Emperor of Gadge...

Perhaps talk to service provider too

It's Always Something . . . . Roseanna Roseannadanna
0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

I am not sure that someone with dementia would be a candidate for one of these but the deaf/hard of hearing world has some innovations that might suit the purpose.  I am just giving you this one supplier link, have never tried them - but there are others also.  Just look through the different things to see if something might work in this field -

Hear World Communications - Cell Phones

It's Always Something . . . . Roseanna Roseannadanna
0 Kudos
Contributor

Thanks.  That's a good tip.  Might also help with the volume on the TV, which is always very loud.

0 Kudos
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Centipede® and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP