With an AARP membership, there’s always more to discover! Check out your member benefits.

Trusted Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: Laptops

Message 1 of 9

@Lisa-Maxwell  A good place to start is by using your Laptop and going to Get Started from the Windows menu. See image below.

AARPWindows10Help.JPG

You can ask Cortana too, and find information on what you are trying to do.

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Trusted Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 2 of 9

@Lisa-Maxwell  A good place to start is by using your Laptop and going to Get Started from the Windows menu. See image below.

Kudos
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 3 of 9

Vic

Wasn't trying to sully the waters, one day you were here.

Much as many of us, retirement or boredom while working for the company dollar.

Me - VAR, VAD, SI, Recoveries (after oopsie),

After the first 5K white box lost count. I know I'm forgetting acronyms. Woohoo, almost time to go fish permanently or at least until 2017.

Came here in 2003 through boredom @ work, my company. And desire to assist, welcome.

Frozen

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker +
Kudos
Views

Message 4 of 9

I ditto what everyone else advised. I'll just add the following. If you are able to play around and "do everything" on your phone, I don't think you'll have one moment of trouble using your Windows 10 laptop. You're also posting on here, so there's definitely a level you've reached beyond absolute beginner.

Perhaps forget the textbook for awhile, and use it later when there's something specific you need to know. Don't be afraid of it! Short of getting into the brains of the computer, or deleting system files, there's not much you could do. Just be careful where you surf, make sure you have antivirus/antimalware software loaded on it, and just have fun! You could start with just clicking on Start (lower left) - all your available apps will come up in a list, and in tiles on the right. Explore.

I've also been in IT for years, working both individually and in groups (I ran classes for seniors long before I became one myself), I spent a year with Senior Services here where I live in Florida, and was also hired by Bright House as a customer support tech.  I love teaching folks how to use their computers - it's like opening the access door to the most amazing library you could ever imagine. 

I'm sure any one of us could answer any questions you might have. Enjoy your new laptop!

Best, pjona

“I don't think of all the misery but of the beauty that still remains." ~ Anne Frank
Tags (3)
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 5 of 9
I guess I should have said that I wrote my first program in 1961 and have built every desktop computer I've ever had. Over the last several decades, I've been vice-president of the Philadelphia Area Computer Society, led the largest special interest group -- called "How-to" -- in the groups history, have taught people about computers at just about all levels, including several years as an adjuct prof at LaSalle U.

Vic
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 6 of 9

Ask what you want to do with the thing, theirs a learning curve with all computers or laptops.

i like Windows 10, have had it since Day 2, with only an occasional cuss at it.

Linux, Unix, Apples and Macs a lot more cussing.

What make and model # of laptop and what do you want to do with it. Want to make it talk with your phone, no problem toss that make and model # into your query.

Victor ? Offered assistance, don't know him. AskLeo is on the board, I've looked at his website.

Catow has helped me A couple of times and I've been using the things since 1968 and the ARPAnet.'

Frozen

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 7 of 9

First, you're not the only one to face this situation. Second, assuming that you got the laptop for at least one reason, what do you want to do?  I've found (after more than half a century of working with computers) that many people have some vague notions of what they might or could or (even) should do with the thing.  I suggest (as I've done many times) that the first thing you should do, is make a list of what you want from the computer.  Prioritize the list according to what would give you the best feeling of accomplishment.  Make changes to the list as you go through it.  The step away from the list for a day or two so you can look at it again with a fresh approach.  Again, make the appropriate changes.  Doing this will lower your feelings of anxiety and help focus on what's really important.  Keep in mind that your lack of knowledge -- and perhaps anger/shame about this situation -- is not a dead end.  As another person suggested, there are resources available to you at little or no cost.

I am always happy to help anyone who requests my assistance.  I avoid geek-speak and assume the burden of helping others understand the whys and hows of our electronic society.  Please feel free to contact me and/or post on this forum as you please.

Finally, as I was advised many years ago, no question is stupid if you don't know the answer... and I'm still asking questions.

I hope to hear from you,

Vic

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 8 of 9

Check out the adult education programs at the high schools & community colleges in your area; they often have intro/beginner classes for people new to computers or specific software programs. You can also check out the local senior center, because they may also have small beginner classes.

Registered on Online Community since 2007!
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views
Replies

Laptops

Message 9 of 9

I'm just dumb now when it comes to my laptop. I've had it over a year and I don't even use it except occasionally for emails. I do everything on my mobile phone. I have the Windows 10 textbook and not the discipline to work thru it. HELP!

Kudos
Views
Replies