With an AARP membership, there’s always more to discover! Check out your member benefits.

Community Manager
Kudos
Views

Re: Laptop for my mom

Message 1 of 6

Thanks for all your feedback -  I went with the Lenovo and she is very pleased.

AARPTeri
Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 2 of 6
Personally I'd look at Lenovo laptops with I 5 CPU and 6-8 Gb ram for anyone, including up to 90 + year olds. Reasoning keypad feels like real keyboard. There's no question when your typing.

Even with email or online gaming, the faster response the better. Less frustration with using. Favorite feature would be if all goes south, one touch recovery key.

HP and Dells that I've seen still don't work that way. And toss in an HDMI port for when your mother has bad vision day or just wants to view a real monitor or hook up that 55" tv for viewing.

Avoid AMD processors in case you don't remember the hiccups of Windows 10. For reliability stick with Lenovo or Thinkpads.

Hp and Dell are just not that reliable, for ease of use. But, it's your buck .

Froze

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 3 of 6

@AARPTeri wrote:

She uses this mostly for email and playing games online.  

I am currently looking at Dell and HP but also wonder would an ipad be enough?  

I agree with the suggestion of whatever is most comfortable for her to use.

I don't know where she plays her games but if you go the Apple route; I can tell you from experience that Apple's browser and AARP's Game site never have and never will work approporiately. You can load another browser like Firefox onto her equipment and that browser will operate correctly (if you go the Apple route).

Just a heads up if you go the Apple route.

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 4 of 6

DELETED DUPLICATE POST.

Kudos
Views
Trusted Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 5 of 6

Ya know --- you can purchase just about anything these days for the basics. You really don't have to worry about brand as far as doing the basics. You get reasonable performance on just about anything these days (I know, someone will disagree but we're not talking about apps that need high performance).

I would be shopping by looking at general reviews (especially screen resolution), warranty,  support, and of course, price.

And yes, strictly in my opinion, one of the larger tablets would be good. Doesn't have to be an ipad --- something like a Samsung S2 that has both an 8 inch and a 9.2 inch screen (with some of the best rosolution out there) is highly rated. Keep in mind that the operating systems are different.  

The real issue, to me, is what your mom is accustomed to as far as using a keyboard. She may want a laptop with larger keys, larger screen, etc. Not just a technical issue, it's a comfort issue. If you go the laptop route, yes, you can't go wrong with HP or Dell. But Sony, Acer, Asus and others make some decent stuff too.

"...Why is everyone a victim? Take personal responsibility for your life..."
Kudos
Views
Community Manager
Kudos
Views
Replies

Laptop for my mom

Message 6 of 6

I have started to do some research on the best laptop for my mother.  She is 82 and not very technically savvy but uses computer enough that a laptop would be good for her.  I thought there are so many great experts here ... What do you recommend?

She uses this mostly for email and playing games online.  

I am currently looking at Dell and HP but also wonder would an ipad be enough?  

Would love to hear what you think.

Thanks.

AARPTeri

AARPTeri
Kudos
Views
Replies