From ‘liquid biopsies’ to precision medicine, these five developments will change cancer care in the next decade. Learn more.

Info Seeker +
Kudos
Views
Replies

I'm ready to cut my cable service, but then what?

Message 31 of 31

I read  I have read that many consumers are cutting cable altogether.  I want to be one them.    

Here is my set up.  I have cable with wireless internet gateway with 150 Mbps with HDTV, DVR, internet and phone.  I don't use the phone line but it comes with the bundle. The price for this bundle is nearly $200 a month (that's with a loyalty discount) for hundreds of cable channels.  I watch eight of them.  I priced the internet connection alone and that would run $100 p/m.  I could add a few channels to the internet connection.  At the speed I want, 150 Mbps, I would pay $120 p/m.  I would like something much cheaper.   

I have three HD TVs that are less that six months old.  I have cable for two of the TVs.  I have three Roku devices, a laptap, a mobile phone, a Kindle Voyager and a Kindle Fire 2015, all are wireless.  I have Netflix and Amazon Prime subscriptions.   

Here is what I need to know:

1.  When I cancel my cable service and return all the equipment, what do I replace the internet connection with?

2.  Can I purchase my own wireless gateway?  By the way, is that just a different name for modem?  Will I need a professional to install it?  Will they use the cable line or phone line?  Do I have a choice?  Please recommend one or two modems that would support all my devices.

3.  Ruling out cable and AT&T, how do I find an internet service provider?   

4.  I understand I can get local TV programming with an antennae.  Can you recommend one or two brands? I heard something about a TV antennae that plugs into an electrical outlet.  Is this true?  Does it work well? 

5.  I have a laptop, but if I didn't, would I need one for all this to work?

Will appreciate any help you can give.

Report Inappropriate Content
Tags (1)
Kudos
Views
Replies
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Open Enrollment: Oct 15-Dec 7, 2019 Find resources to help you decide on the best healthcare insurance plans for you during Open Enrollment season