WATCH VIDEO: Day 5 of Iowa presidential candidate forum with Montana Gov. Steve Bullock, South Bend Mayor Pete Buttigieg and Vermont Sen. Bernie Sanders. 

Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Re: I'm ready to cut my cable service, but then what?

Message 21 of 31

DVR's aren't exclusive to cable companies. The original DVR TiVo is still alive and well.  You need to make sure that your satellite provider supports TiVo though.  Direct TV used to.

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 22 of 31

Get rid of your cable tv or satellite service. Aquire high speed internet service and sign up for Sling TV, HULU and ROKU. Maybe Netflix and Amazon tv.

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 23 of 31

We gave up satalite tv and have turned to regular television and the computer. We hook the computer to the TV and have memberships with Hulu and Netflix. We can also access network television shows through the computer. This gives us what we want without the big cash payout.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 24 of 31

I have been in the same mindset several times and have just stayed with Comcast/Infinity.  When I moved from San Diego to the east coast I noticed little competition for tv other than a dish setup vs. cable. On the west coast there was Time Warner and AT&T competing directly against each other as cable choices and the price - and quality - was outstanding.  I was able to get a "Triple Play" switch from TW to AT&T for $89 a month and had hundreds of channels and premium ones (HBO, Showtime, Starz and a fw others) plus fast internet (at the time 60-70 mb/sec was fine in 2010-12) and home phone.  $89 a month!  Move east and Comcast is the only cable game in town - a monopoly! At least they offered me a $109.99 deal for 2 yrs as a "new resident rate" that included pretty much what I got in San Diego. But after 12 months it jumped to $149.99 and I was not happy and after about 30 mins on a call explaining they "bait and switched me" it was agreed to go to the middle and arrived at $129.99 for 12 more months. So much for a 24-month rate I thought I signed on for initially.  I guess there was small print - real small print - stating it would go up at least $20 which I said I would do - not $40!

When the contract was about 30 days away from renewal a marketing rep called me and essentially told me about a package that would swell $100 to $229.99 but she could cut it to $189.99 if I went with their home security system for 24 months.  What a racket.  So I called up Comcast and demanded to speak to a supervisor and said I would be switching to either Dish or Direct TV as I did not like their come-ons in order to try and keep me.  After much discussion I was able to keep my service exactly as is for 1 more yr (until mid-May) for only $134.99, or $5 more per month.  And I was able to have my internet raised to the fastest level (120-150mb/sec range).  

I would fight to keep cable instead of giving it up if you like it and price is the main reason.  Even at $135/month I get home telephone (don't need w/ cell phones), 800+ channels, although I watch about 20 but do like the OnDemand feature, and very fast internet.  If it goes past $150 in the future that is when I might consider changing.  Anyone at $200 or more a month is getting ripped off, plain and simple, IMO.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 25 of 31

I live in the Los Angeles area and was paying over $200 for home phone, TV and internet.  I cut the cord 12 months ago.  My new setup is:

1. Installed a small HD antenna outside my house.  I pickup over 45 channels - all free.

2. Connected the antenna and tv to a TIVO Roamio DVR.  The box cost $50.  There is a $15/month fee to receive the guide.  Newer DVR's now have option to buy a lifetime service for $300, eliminating the monthly fee.

3. Signed up for Netflix for $10/month

4. Signed up for Sling TV.  This is an internet based service that provides $20 cable channels for $20/month.  It includes: CNN, TBS, TNT, HGTV, ESPN History Channel.

5. Replaced my home phone with OOMA.  This is an internet based telephone service.  It requires you buy a OOMA box for around $120.  The monthly cost is $4.  Not bad.  Service is great.

6. I replaced my rented modem/router with a Netgear router I bought at Bestbuy for $140.  This eliminiates $15/month rental fee and wifi cost.  I used the savings to increase my internet speed to 100mbps.  Higher speeds are needed for Sling TV to work well.

Overall, My onetime initial cost was around $300.  My new monthly recurring cost is around $100/month.  Total annual savings is $1200.

Not bad,

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 26 of 31

Question 1:  you can cancel service at anytime.  Usually the cable subscriber will send you box(es) for returning the equipment if the provider is out of your vicinity.  MAKE SURE YOU SEND THE EQUIPMENT BACK VIA UPS or FEDEX AND GET A RECEIPT WITH A TRACKING NUMBER!  The cable guys like to say that the equipment wasn't returned!  It's optional to insure the box(es) above the default value.  

You should investigate what ISPs service your area - usually the ones available in cities are either Comcast / Time Warner Cable / Cox / Charter for cable internet.  DSL are usually AT&T / Centurylink.  Make sure you investigate the choices BEFORE you pull the plug(s).  Get prices and speed downloads/uploads.  I would go with the minimum of 10 mbps download and 2 mbsp upload. 

Question 2: you can purchase your own cable modem (hooks to the internet connection from your ISP) and a wireless router (sets up your network in your home).  Before you purchase a cable modem, make sure you check with your ISP for a compatible cable modem model - there should be lots available - Motorola / NetGear / D-Link / TP-Link / Linksys are some of the name brand ones.  If you get DSL, you'll need a DSL cable modem, not a regular cable modem - your DSL ISP will inform you on what compatible DSL modems to buy.  DSL will use your telephone lines.  Cable is use cable.

The cable modem will plug into your wireless router.  The wireless router will then setup your wireless network and Erthernet network in your home.  Make sure you get a router that supports 802.11n at the least and the current version is 802.11ac, but you need newer PCs that support the 802.11ac standard.  But it doesn't hurt to get the 802.11ac version, which will improve your 802.11n connections.  Usually the only settings you must do to setup your router is to: change the name of your wireless router, setup a new password, and setup the network security (use WPA or WPA2).  Usually the router vendor has 60-90 days of free telephone support to help you setup the router.  Check this out too: https://www.staysafeonline.org/stay-safe-online/keep-a-clean-machine/securing-your-home-network or http://www.howtogeek.com/67015/how-to-plan-organize-and-map-out-your-home-network/ 

How-To Geek is a great site for user articles written from the novice level on up!

Usually you'll have "professionals" in your area who will charge a fee to do all this work for you. There is Geek Squad from Best Buy for one.  You might want to check with friends or relatives for suggestions or help.  Check with your local senior center for recommendations also.

3.  Check online for ISP service in your area.  Consult with neighbors for what service the neighbors are using.  Usually there is only 1 ISP servicing your area.  I would stay away from satellite or cellular service - too expensive or too slow.

4.  Antennas - Mohu makes great antennas. Mohu has the Leaf, which is flat and attaches almost anywhere.  Check out this URL for antenna suggestions - it uses TVFool app to tell you what signals you can receive with which type of antenna:  http://lifehacker.com/how-to-choose-the-best-over-the-air-antenna-for-free-hd-1569752514

5.  Yes you'll need a computer to setup the equipment.  You'll also need an Ethernet cable to run from your PC to the cable modem and from the PC to the router.  Make sure you try to position the router in the central part of your home if you're using the wireless connections.

The installation of all this isn't that difficult.  It can be trying at times if you don't know what needs to be done.  If that's the case, have a relative or friend help you with everything.  Usually people are very helpful in setting this stuff up.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 27 of 31
I have had no cable and used rabbit ears. They do not work. I have used digital antennas and they do not work as well either. My internet was Clear and that was not good for the price they charged. I get Comcast for $69.70 per month. My cable is basic and my internet with Comcast works great. I do have Netflix streaming for $8.99 and I am happy. You call Comcast and let them know you need to downgrade to your budget.
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 28 of 31

I cut cable over a year ago and went to a single (good quality) external antenna.  Better picture, HD transmission...some challenges with reception on NBC channel but mostly good.  I had Cox internet only and overall it was a good decision.  

The downside is that if (like me) you like to record live shows, you will have some difficulty finding ways to do that.

Kudos
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 29 of 31
Oh yeah just remembered my local isp IPhone wants to call it sip, is $69 month for telephone and DSL or $39 month just for Internet.

Satellite isp is $50 to 100 month but, you need to buy the equipment depending upon the provider.Around 600 maybe for the equipment one time charge.

Hughesnet, dish, direct way, whatever you want for satellite you need unobstructed view to Southern sky.

There are so many pkgs available in different speeds and prices vary by locations. Many devices or users can be had for $34.99 per month from Dish, and you get a 2year price lock. After that surprise.

Do a few Google searches. Here a local cable company has a $20 month Internet Time warner cable just for cable isp. Their programming I'd refuse to put in the house, $150 month for what I pay dish at $80 month.

Your results may vary, my local bony telco has had fiber lines since 1990. Multiple appends available and unlike the cable company my speed remains constant 24 hours per day. Local cable it's like a party line here, more people on it more degradation in speed.

Frozen
Kudos
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 30 of 31
Every question while good leaves out the bigger ones are you a city dweller or a country dweller?

House or apartment dweller, access to roof or a mast.

Using even rabbit ears might work in a city for on air tv digital channels. In country your results would vary.

I've installed store bought cable modem/routers for customers that didn't want to pay cable company for the privilege of renting the equipment anymore. They increased their speed legally but, needed a modem/router that worked with their provider.
That's where radio shack came in, the odd bit I use Dish and the store owner did as well.

Do you have a local electronics or radio shack type store. They are generally where you can start your journey. It's also where my customers bought their replacement modem/router for cable.

for where can you go to get a different isp for Internet - try a search local isp providers.
I live in the boonies and just for sip my choices are - telco for DSL, cable $20 month, EarthLink or Hughes or dish for satellite internet, your results may be different.

If I'm reading all of your questions right . Tv can be received on air in most cases. Yes thru your devices no problem, thru net no problem but, you need a internet connection.

Google for a provider.

Frozen
Kudos
Views