WATCH VIDEO: Friday's Iowa presidential candidate forum. Appearing are Beto O'Rourke, Elizabeth Warren, Marianne Williamson and Andrew Yang.

Frequent Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: I'm ready to cut my cable service, but then what?

Message 11 of 31

I sympathize with those who want to cut cable ! We have Charter (dirty word ) for internet, phone, t.v.

I've been comparing dish networks, Century link, etc., comparing services, prices, options. I've got a headache ! Go with one, or split up services ? I guess it partly dependss on where one lives. We're about 100 miles from major network stations, so guess that factors in. Will a dish be reliable, or will weather affect reception ? ( Not that we'd miss much ! ) Our son ditched cable altogether, got Directtv & Ooma for phone. He also lives about 80 miles from major tv stations. His monthly bill will be cut in half.

Sandee2
Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Gold Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 12 of 31

Hi,

Better late than never! 

Look up Roku.com on your computer. You can purchase the device for about $60 or $70.  Roku has an 800 number you can call and they will answer all your questions.  They have 1 for Analog and 2 the newer TV.  The device is so small, it can fit in the palm of your hand.  I have had mine for a little over 2 years and it works great. It has a lot of free channels like Crackle, movies, food, exercise, history, etc.  You can add Nexflex or/and Hulu for $7.99 a month or both.  It is all up to you.    Both Hulu and Nexflex have customer service numbers you can call for any question you may have.  They are sold on-line and in the stores.  Check around.  It has all the wires you will need to connect to your television.

Best of luck.  Woman Very Happy

Kudos
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 13 of 31
Tucson,

If you live close to city, you can do what RV'ers do. Get a boom stick and use it for free wifi connection to whoever offers free wifi to customers.

Yes, it's possible. Yes, it's a one time payment for stick. And yes, it becomes borderline legal.
Range is a bugger 1 mile line of sight.

For free tv , off air there's usually a 35 mile range limit , unless you start dealing with high masts or apt. Buildings for higher antenna height.Then you have to be within 100 miles of transmitter.

Guess what they're are options for everything it just usually starts with
Antenna web that requires a search I can't remember the extension it may be a .com or .org, blasted spell checker antenna web.* one word.

For my land - 100+ miles away from tv stations, I need a 60' tv mast and channelMaster HDTV antenna for over air stations. That would be 30 channels and 6 Quebec stations, did I I ever say I live in the woods.

DVR would be a Motorola, or another ChannelMaster or dust off my vcr.
A trip to digital trends.com is a great starting place for anyone wanting to cut the cable bill.

As is RV user groups for thinking out of the box.Followed by a liberal dosing of talking with ham operators and local Radio shack.

I recently set up an antenna with someone with limit of $600 they get the # of channels and Quebec but, also now have free internet from their house 20 miles across the Lake to their camp. Internet company would have need to run telephone line in to camp for are we sitting $1000, and that would have been illegal line through wildlife sanctuary.

If you have the will there is a way. The TV antenna is not visible nor is the antenna for their internet. Not all pine trees with nesting bald eagles are real.thats all I've got, I thought I had posted this last night but, I must have dropped connection.

Telephone cellular companies make dandy little boxes for RV'ers to use on the road but, it's a shared dat plan - you tubers use them for Internet on the road.

Frozen
Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 14 of 31

I too looked for any options.  I still have to have Internet which has gone up 100% the last two years!!!!  Xfinity Comast adds a lot of TV for $40 more plus $10 for HD quality.  If you can live without HGTV home improvement and live in an area that get's lots of channels like my brother...55 channels...many in HD quality...well it's worth saving around $600 a year.  YOU STILL PAY alot for Internet now.  They get you coming and they get you going.  At least it's that way in Pennsylvania.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 15 of 31

Yes, I also have the Triple Play for $109.99 and the total for my bill is $133.04, when I stated earlier it is $135 a month.  Again, that is for every conceivable channel they offer and all the premium channels as well. Coupled with internet at 120 mbs ave rate and phone service with all the features I think it is a hard-to-be package.  I do not want DSL at 5mbs rate and the phone is ok b/c I still keep my west coast cell # numbers while back east so I have the option of giving out a local number or my 12 yr old cell phone # from the left coast.  

My bill just posted online from Comcast and the summary is below. But one other key feature I failed to mention on my original post is the X1 Platform that Comcast uses allows one to access all channels on a computer while away from home and play it on the computer (or phone or tablet). If you have a fast wireless service then you can plug the computer into a computer with HDMI cable and watch channels as clear as regular Comcast service. This allows us to watch any channels while traveling on the road - either at hotels, timeshares or RV'ing for free, as part of the plan.  My son in med school about 50 miles away can catch tv in his apartment without having to subscribe to Comcast separately as he has fast wireless for free.  So for us, the best deal still remains Comcast at this price. Snapshot of current bill:

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 16 of 31

ry6627, you charges are about the same as mine for Comcast.

Getting any reduction from them is really a challenge. I was able to get

my bill reducted by $35.00 but it took several phone calls and e-mail

back and forth. I pay the $109.99 for the triple play, internet, tv and phone

Where they get you are the extra charges for cable boxes, access fees, 

state fees, etc. Seems they a fee for everything except the sun coming up

in the morning. But it does allow access to OnDemand which I have not been

able to fine with any other provider. So far I have not found an alternative

with the same cost/benefit.

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 17 of 31
BTW I purchased a Roku 3 first. I could not get a clear signal with my old analog TV even with the proper connx. Sent it back and saved another $90. Feel like a winner! Now I'm waiting for some genius to develop free Wi-Fi!
Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 18 of 31
YES! I have cut my cable (DirecTV) because my kids bought me a wi-fi TV for christmas. Now I am saving $65 every month and not missing a thing. I have Netflix, Hulu (total cost $24/mo) and all the free streaming tv and video I can watch. I just pay for my wi-fi which I have anyway @ $50/mo. Yay cable-free!
Kudos
Views
Recognized Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 19 of 31

If our legislators has our interests in mind instead of their own, the cable companies would not be allowed to gouge and rip us off.  Their borderline fraudulant practices would be unlawful.  Unfortunately the cable company lobbies are too powerful, close to the NRA lobby.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 20 of 31
I already have cut off cable and use Netflix and Hulu. I cannot see spending that amount every month on cable ever again.
Kudos
Views