WATCH VIDEO: Friday's Iowa presidential candidate forum. Appearing are Beto O'Rourke, Elizabeth Warren, Marianne Williamson and Andrew Yang.

Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: I'm ready to cut my cable service, but then what?

Message 1 of 31

So, who uses slingtv and are you happy with it. 

Admit seriously considering a jump for better channels from dish with hopper $89/ month.

To $30 month, I have no desire to purchase new equipment. Have computers and wifi throughout house and garage.

My high speed internet is $30 month, and all I need in reality are my tv and monitor to be happy.

And my smartphone for sometime dumps to it on the app.

Finally have found a local digital antenna that works even in the mountains of Maine, and picks up something other than Quebec stations.

Frozen

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker +
Kudos
Views

Message 2 of 31

The Roku device offers CBSN, FOX news, NEWSY, ABC news, SKY NEWS from England which covers the world, REUTERS, FOX Business.  ABC news has live streaming, in depth stories, local news from New York, Philadelphia, Boston, San Francisco, more.  These channels run clips from their news shows with short commercials thrown in from time to time.  Pick what you want to watch. 

Roku has a channel called NEWSCASTER, which has NPR, CBS, ABC, FOX NEWS, NBC, CNN, PBS, CNBC real-time, C-SPAN, CNET, and ESPN.  These are not full shows, usually clips or selected shows.  For example, C-SPAN has Q&A, NEWS MAKERS, and THE COMMUNICATORS.

That's enough news for me.  I get my local news on my iphone or laptop.   

Kudos
Views
Frequent Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 3 of 31

Smart, em1427957 !  But do you get news & local shows, etc? Aren't Netfix & hulu just movies ?

Clue me in if I'm wrong.

Sandee2
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker +
Kudos
Views

UPDATE: Re: I'm ready to cut my cable service, but then what?

Message 4 of 31

Thanks to all of you who gave me suggestions and information.  I live in a cityin Central California,  population about 90k .  I finally cut my cable in June of 2016.  I cut my TV and phone service from my Comcast account to strictly internet service.  I pay $59.99 (no tax, don't know why) per month for 1024 GB per month, with a two year contract.  I stayed with Comcast because I did not want the hassle of installing a dish and such.  I dismantled my two cable boxes and modem, and returned them to Comcast.  I purchased a modem and router from Best Buy and had The Geek Squad install them.  Glad I did as I would not have been able to handle the computer set up they did, through their own laptop, with Comcast and the modem manufacturer.  They set up all my wireless components (three existing Roku boxes, a cell phone, a wireless computer and printer).  That was $100.  I already had subscriptions for Netflix ($9.99) and Amazon Prime (monthly est $8.33).  I have since added CBS All Access and Showtime, each for $9.99 p/m. 

Now I pay $98.29 per month instead of $194 per month.  A savings of $95.71!  The best part is I don't have to pay for channels I don't watch or a phone service I don't use.  I understand I could purchase an antennae to pick up local channels, but in nearly a year, I haven't missed them.  I can get local news on my phone; national and international through Roku apps.  I am happy. 

One thing to note: Comcast has been converting the way they offer internet service around the country.  On the premise that the more you use, the more you should pay, if I exceed the 1024 GB, I will pay $50 for each additional 10 GB.  You can exceed the 1024 GB for two months without the additional charges.  I went over the limit in January.  They gave me plenty of warning.  I suspect the overage was due to the AARP Safe Driver course I streamed. 

Best money I ever spent was the purchase of my Roku boxes and Netflix (no commercials, all episodes of new season available at once, no renting or buying, watch as many times as you like, great original programming).  Best money-saving action I ever made was cutting my cable.

Tags (1)
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 5 of 31

I went to antenna and pay nothing. I get 10 free stations, including ABC, NBC, CBS, FOX, and several Public Broadcasting stations. PBS includes movies, British comedy, crafting and cooking, news reports, old tv show, Gilligan, Happy Days, Mash and more. Good televison. Why pay for things you dont want in your home.  I even get better reception than some friends using cable and no cost for the stations I see.

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 6 of 31

Try an isp service provider by zip code, for a search using google or Bing.

If you are in a truly rural area, try your local telco, here on Maine.

My best price was $39 for local telco. $29 for TWC problem being Time Warner or cable company slows to crawl when the little darlings aren't in school.

Depending upon internet usage, some cell phone providers offer plans of up to 20 Gb data usage for $50.

unlimited is available for around $100, then just make your phone a hotspot.

Best I can think of

Frozen

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 7 of 31

We want to do that also. What carrier has wifi for $50? We are rural northwest Pennsylvania and don't have any quotes that inexpensive.  Thanks in advance

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 8 of 31

Breakdown on satellite internet providers...

Try the above link for breakdown on satellite internet providers.

Hughes, Earthlink and Dish all seem to  work easily and pricing is fairly good. Depending - upon situation.

Sometimes you can bundle, guaranteed rate for 1-2 years. You do need to buy the equipment whether new or refurbished. In my little bit of Paradise you take connection where found - hughes, and earthlink even on battery or generator on a lake surrounded by mountains or trees - just works.

Just be sure you read the gotcha's data cap's, etc.

Frozen

Kudos
Views
Frequent Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 9 of 31

I'm looking at splitting up the services from different companies, whatever is cheapest. I don't live anywhere near a mountain, so no problem there !  Iused to hear complaints about dishes being a problem when weather is bad, but that was awhile back ! I'm sure the service has much improved since. I'm still checking options.

Sandee2
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 10 of 31
Are you talking about using internet only satellite or tv only or both for satellite coverage.

I use dish for tv, and DSL for Internet. In mountains and no desire to pay for satellite internet or use cable internet.

Re: Dish tv no issues with tv regardless of weather. Unless dish covered by 3 feet of snow. Then you brush off.

Dish Internet or satellite internet no problems either, unless covered by snow. Clouds not an issue.

Frozen
Kudos
Views