Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Trusted Social Butterfly

How to Build a Gay Computer

Those are moving rainbow colors on my CPU fan and RAM:

But, I put on an opaque cover:

If you want to expose the gay, you need a transparent cover.  You can see many at Best Buy.

The left computer has the same type of case as my new computer because I bought the two cases about 20 years ago.  The small bay is for a 3.5 inch floppy drive.  Whippersnappers don't know what that is. 

I am testing my new computer with Linux Mint Cinnamon and everything works well.

Here is a list of parts and the prices I paid:

AMD Ryzen 7 2700X Processor with Wraith Prism LED Cooler - YD270XBGAFBOX $269.00 (no tax, free shipping)

ASUS B450 AMD Ryzen 2 ATX Gaming Motherboard AM4 DDR4 HDMI DVI M.2 USB 3.1 Gen2 (Prime B450-Plus) $89.99 (plus IL tax, free shipping)

EVGA 500 W1, 80+ WHITE 500W, 3 Year Warranty, Power Supply 100-W1-0500-KR, Black $24.99 (plus IL tx, free shipping)

WD Blue 3D NAND 500GB PC SSD - SATA III 6 Gb/s, 2.5"/7mm - WDS500G2B0A $79.99 (plus IL tx, free shipping)

G.SKILL TridentZ RGB Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 3200 (PC4 25600) Desktop Memory Model F4-3200C16D-16GTZR $139.99 (free shipping, plus IL tax)

Case, chassis fan, monitor, DVD drive and graphics card were on hand.

Currently on order, I will put in this graphics card:

EVGA GeForce GT 1030 DDR4, 02G-P4-6232-KR, 2GB SDDR4, Passive, Low Profile $77.99 each (no tax, $9.38 shipping)

and this operating system:

MICROSOFT WINDOWS 10 PRO PROFESSIONAL 32-BIT&64-BIT OEM FULL VERSION $45 (free shipping and no tax)

Approximate total cost = $750

Questions?

0 Kudos
Trusted Social Butterfly

I recently found out about M.2 PCIe Solid State Drives (SSD) which are about 5X faster than SATA SSDs.  I bought this one:

https://www.amazon.com/Silicon-Power-512GB-Gen3x4-SU512GBP34A80M28AB/dp/B07L6DKM8V

And, installed it:

M.2SSD.jpg

Had I known about this before, I would have installed Windows 10 on it.

I also stacked two fans for more air ventilation:

StackeFans.jpg

0 Kudos
Trusted Social Butterfly

These are performance results of my old computer versus my new computer with new graphics card installed:

Old:

OldComputerSpecs1-17-19.png

OldComputerScores1-17-19.png

New:

NewComputerSpecs.png

NewComputerNewGraphicsCardScores.png

I ran some tests with my image processing software which uses Single instruction, multiple data (SIMD) floating point. My new computer was only about twice as fast as my old one.  And, changing the CPU frequency from 3.7 GHz. to 4.0 GHz had no effect.  My new case is quite a bit warmer on my new computer, though. 

Moore's Law is a computing term which originated around 1970; the simplified version of this law states that processor speeds, or overall processing power for computers will double every two years.  I suspect that AMD's failure to realize Moore's law and the ornamental lights are related, i.e., style over substance.

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

Looks nice. I've had a transparent side cover for some years with blue-led lights on the fan. I don't have any of the other lights you have on your build. I'll have to see if I can step up the colors. I wonder if I could get flashing colored led's for the inside and light it up like a Christmas tree?

"...Why is everyone a victim? Take personal responsibility for your life..."
0 Kudos
Trusted Social Butterfly

@retiredtraveler wrote:

Looks nice. I've had a transparent side cover for some years with blue-led lights on the fan. I don't have any of the other lights you have on your build. I'll have to see if I can step up the colors. I wonder if I could get flashing colored led's for the inside and light it up like a Christmas tree?

My MB has an "Aura RGB Strip header" which is a connector for an RGB LED strip that people stick to the computer case.  When I read this in the manual, I thought "WTF?", so I found a Youtube video:

I hate paying for features I don't use.

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

Aruz,

Looks like a nice build, I think you've Done this before.👍

Oft times when ai see a new build like this, it still has an 80watt power supply and issues.

How do you like Mint?

Build for gaming or video’s?

Froze

And yes, after long days/nights, I'd still like to swing these hunks of glass , plastic and silicon against the nearest wall Come on retirement!
0 Kudos
Trusted Social Butterfly

@Frozenoem wrote:

Aruz,

Looks like a nice build, I think you've Done this before.👍

Oft times when ai see a new build like this, it still has an 80watt power supply and issues.

How do you like Mint?

Build for gaming or video’s?

Froze

Linux mint (Cinnamon) has improved to the point that it's about as annoying as Windows 10.  Both have, by far, too much reliance on multiple files, DLLs for Windows, and whatchamacallits for Linux.  What annoys me the most is how often I have to enter a password or PIN number.  Since I live alone, that is pointless.

Timewise, my computers are mostly used as personal DVRs.  I record broadcast TV shows so that, when I watch them, I can fast forward through commercials.  In Windows 7, Windows Media Center did the work.  In Windows 10, I will have to use third party software and I will have to buy another tuner because my old tuner is unsupported in Windows 10.  

I occasionally play Unreal Tournament 3 in slow motion against Bots to relax.  At my age, I have no conventional FPS skills, hence, I use a slow motion mutator.   In fact, my computer assembly was difficult because of my very shaky hands which are getting worse as I age. 

I also write image processing software, although not since 2013.  It is freeware and you can download it from my website which is listed in my profile.  I also use my own software a lot.  Good to know that my program still works in Windows 10, but I discovered that a DLL is missing that I will have to include in the download.  I blame Microsoft.

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

@aruzinsky

If you dislike pins, slap a fingerprint reader on it and your golden.

Or “netplwiz”

https://www.tekrevue.com/tip/skip-windows-10-login-screen/

I know maturity issues, tremors in left hand but, BPD taught me to shoot in either hand, using either/both eyes.

Do you use keyboard or hand controllers?

Will need to read profile when on Computer, results vary on iPhone.

Have a self boot mint floating around somewhere, to play with just haven’t had the time, as yet.

Still in Knoppix land🤣

Time to play in the woodpile, gonna get frosty.

Froze

And yes, after long days/nights, I'd still like to swing these hunks of glass , plastic and silicon against the nearest wall Come on retirement!
0 Kudos
Trusted Social Butterfly

@Frozenoem wrote:

@aruzinsky

If you dislike pins, slap a fingerprint reader on it and your golden.

Or “netplwiz”

https://www.tekrevue.com/tip/skip-windows-10-login-screen/

I know maturity issues, tremors in left hand but, BPD taught me to shoot in either hand, using either/both eyes.

Do you use keyboard or hand controllers?

Will need to read profile when on Computer, results vary on iPhone.

Have a self boot mint floating around somewhere, to play with just haven’t had the time, as yet.

Still in Knoppix land🤣

Time to play in the woodpile, gonna get frosty.

Froze

Thank you for that link which I copied to a flash drive so I can open it on my new computer.  BTW, I spent a lot of time last night getting rid of the obnoxious advertising in Windows 10's Start Menu.  I regard obnoxious advertising as an effeminate trait because it is nagging.  I believe It to be part of a neo-Marxist plot to feminize America.  So are the ornamental computer lights.  

I don't post the link to my webpage because that might be considered advertising because I solicit voluntary donations at the bottom of my webpage.  There is probably something in the TOS against it and I know that effeminate moderators will use any flimsy excuse to ban me.  But, if you press  my signature, it will open a new window with a JPG image on my website.  Then delete "/images/OldWitch.jpg" in the address bar of your browser to get to my home page.

I use a wireless keyboard and a mouse, while sitting in a recliner, while watching computer stuff on my 46" TV.  I only recently (2016) got broadband internet service and one of the first things I did was play UT3 online against real people.  I was hopeless.  And, the freeware FPS games that come with Linux do not have any mutators to slow the action.  Playing fast action games makes me dizzy.  BTW, one of the most fun FPS games that I ever played was Redneck Rampage.  It's maybe 15 or 20 years old.  I might try to install it on my new computer.  

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

@aruzinsky

I recall “Redneck Rampage” from days of dos, Win3.1 & Win 95 and 64 Gb video cards.

Used to test my builds when bored. Preferred others Quake?

Yes, it is a no no to sell on boards. Freeware only allowed or some shareware with an opportunity at donations but, you can’t suggest.

When in doubt ask Sandy@aarp?

Least that’s how I recall it, been here off and on since 2003-ish.

HDMI and 48” or casting is preferred beats a standard monitor.

But, compared to early AARP days it has improved, you can recommend real programs.

Gotta stagger snow a-coming.

Froze

0 Kudos
Trusted Social Butterfly

@Frozenoem wrote:

@aruzinsky

I recall “Redneck Rampage” from days of dos, Win3.1 & Win 95 and 64 Gb video cards.

Used to test my builds when bored. Preferred others Quake?

Yes, it is a no no to sell on boards. Freeware only allowed or some shareware with an opportunity at donations but, you can’t suggest.

When in doubt ask Sandy@aarp?

Least that’s how I recall it, been here off and on since 2003-ish.

HDMI and 48” or casting is preferred beats a standard monitor.

But, compared to early AARP days it has improved, you can recommend real programs.

Gotta stagger snow a-coming.

Froze

A design flaw is that BIOS won't display on an HDMI connected TV so you need a computer monitor.  I suspect that motherboard manufacturers were bribed by computer monitor manufacturers, otherwise, the computer monitor manufacturers would go out of business.  I remember when the mouse didn't work in BIOSs.  Now, wireless keyboards and mice work in BIOS.

0 Kudos
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Centipede® and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP