Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Do you have snapchat or instagram?

Community Manager
Community Manager

Do you have snapchat or instagram?

Studies are showing how the younger generation are using these two apps frequently.  I am curious, does anyoneon here use either of these?  What do you thinnk?

AARPTeri
Regular Contributor

i have never been on either. My wife is on Instagram because our kids and grandkids prefer that. But she never posts. I still use Facebook but only for joining monitored groups on retirement, investing, book recommendations, consumerism, and streaming services recommendations. Lots of useful information is posted.

0 Kudos
Trusted Social Butterfly

No, and I dislike the social media characteristics of community.aarp.org .

Contributor

yes but only instagram 

Honored Social Butterfly

I remember back in the day, when I was dating someone & we took intimate pictures, they were taken with a Polaroid camera & handed to the other person. No negatives to be "lost"or copied at a film lab, or pictures being accidentally sent electronically to the wrong person, no getting hacked on some social media site. Old fashioned safety!!

Registered on Online Community since 2007!

i have instagram account.

Contributor

Instagram. I tried Snapchat and didn't like it very much.

Kudos
Views
Regular Contributor

I had one of my social media accounts hacked a few years ago that created a major headache for me, decided to delete the account, and have not joined new programs since then that demand personal information. I believe that protection of personal information on these sites is too easy for aggressive hackers to access and too hard for companies to protect. My family and I text photos, videos, and messages. It seems safer than snapchap or instagram. 

Contributor

I have Instagram. Love it, easier to share pictures than say FB. Easier to stay in touch with family and friends.

Super Contributor

I find snapchat too time consuming; I don't want to watch the "story" videos on instagram either. But the regular instagram accounts are wonderful. Some of my favorites are PhotosofBritain, InteriorMilk, ArtfulReader, Amali.Mou, National_Gallery and StyleAtACertainAge. You can find accounts for almost any interest. I love looking at the beautiful images each morning; they are inspiring! I have an UpperHandsPiano instagram account where I give away free sheet music and practice tips. It's another nice way to connect with people who share your interests ๐Ÿ™‚

Contributor

I have Snapchat and love it.  My kids send me pictures and add the location graphic and I can keep up with them as they travel or in their eveyday travails.   I even paticipate when I am out visiting or finding a new place.

Periodic Contributor

I use Instagram for fun and entertainment. So far I have never had a problem. As with anything, there will be ones who use and ones who abuse. You also need to be cautious and never supply any personal information for public viewing. Be careful, also, who you follow and who you allow to follow you. It is a nice form of comunication and a great way to easily share vacation pictures with friends and family. I don't have SnapChat only because I don't want another account with another login and yet another password. Haha!

ACoble
Periodic Contributor

I try to keep an open mind in regards to all technology.   I have accounts on both Instagram and Snapchat--don't use them much at all but feels good to know how.  

Never say I can't or won't. Life presents interesting challenges every day. Embrace them. 

Honored Social Butterfly

@s886065b wrote:

I try to keep an open mind in regards to all technology.   I have accounts on both Instagram and Snapchat--don't use them much at all but feels good to know how.  

Never say I can't or won't. Life presents interesting challenges every day. Embrace them. 

@s886065b adn @UpperHandsPiano On Instagram check out yokoonoofficial and baddiewinkle to experience opposite ends of feminine senior expression. ๐Ÿ™‚  Natgeo is a good one, too. 

"The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical." Julius Erving
Honored Social Butterfly

@s886065b - I wouldn't want to even be registered on social media I don't use, because it's just so easy to people to copy anything that's public, and create a bogus profile using your material. Or they can create a profile using a variation of your name, and you wouldn't even realize it! Watch "Catfish" on MTV a couple of times; for sure you'll close any accounts you aren't actively using or watching carefully!

Honored Social Butterfly

@EveRH wrote:

@s886065b - I wouldn't want to even be registered on social media I don't use, because it's just so easy to people to copy anything that's public, and create a bogus profile using your material. Or they can create a profile using a variation of your name, and you wouldn't even realize it! Watch "Catfish" on MTV a couple of times; for sure you'll close any accounts you aren't actively using or watching carefully!

To protect myself from this (you know, as best I can), I never use my real name in a profile, never even type in my phone number.  I give up nuttin. ๐Ÿ™‚

"The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical." Julius Erving
Social Butterfly

I don't have Instagram or Snapchat. I also do not have Facebook, Twitter, Google+, Pinterest, or even a cell phone.

I do have a YouTube channel, a digital camera, and accounts at Disqus, Setlist.fm, Bandcamp, Tumblr, Photobucket, and several other message boards/forums. And I was admin at a photography forum for 10 years, but we shut it down when we stopped doing the classes.

That's probably enough for now ๐Ÿ˜‰

Super Contributor

Who was the great communicator?  What would they say now.  I'd be interested to know what Mark Twain would have thought.. Wouldn't it be interesting if we went back to heiroglyphics. Remember cursive?

Aren't emogis a type of heiroglyphic?
Conversationalist

I don't really use social media at all (except here!).  While there are some good points to social media there is a bad side.  I agree with a lot of the comments from others here, social interaction through a phone or tablet without personal interaction does not bode well for our future generation.  No one really talks to each other or even looks at each other!  They have become techno-zombies!

Honored Social Butterfly

Well, if anyone was not aware of Instagram and how it may be used or abused, then it certainly came to light yesterday!  I'll say no more and leave that for the politics board to discuss.

โ€œWhen the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.โ€ - Jimi Hendrix
Honored Social Butterfly

The sad thing I see is that social media is being used to actually avoid being social.

Went out to eat yesterday and a nice looking young couple sat next to us in another booth.

Being nosy, I watched them for at least 30 minutes.

Not one time did they say a word to each other.... they both had their nose down in their respective smart phones clickity..... clickity..... clickity.....THE ENTIRE THIRTY MINUTES.

This is not the first time I have observed this.

This fanaticism with smart phones and being connected all the time to everything has to be affecting how humans are forming relationships.

It can't be healthy for our future society.

Honored Social Butterfly

@nctarheel wrote:

The sad thing I see is that social media is being used to actually avoid being social.

<snip>

This fanaticism with smart phones and being connected all the time to everything has to be affecting how humans are forming relationships.

It can't be healthy for our future society.

This behavior may be to blame for the hyper-emotional, uber-aggressive interactions we see in the news and on this community, eh? That is to say perhaps we can look around and witness the consequences of cyber relationships today?

I've been studying the way social media is changing marketing. Marketing metrics is fascinating stuff. Timeline marketing can be both brill and insidious, imho. But keep in mind that marketing protocols respond to people's behavior. As people's behavior changes, so does marketing. (The original question, I would imagine, has something to do with AARP deciding where to put their outreach efforts for various demographics. My guess.)

Honored Social Butterfly

The anonymity allows people to say things that they would not say in person. There is no sense of the other person.  I agree that I think it leads to more disattachment to others.  

Life's a Journey, not a Destination" Aerosmith
Honored Social Butterfly

Good example: A friend posted about a relative's recent medical procedure at a hospital on social media. Many friends passed on their good wishes, said they'd pray for the person, etc. I called after the person was home from the hospital, and they said that for all the good wishes & prayers posted on social media, I was the only one who actually called to see how they were doing!

Honored Social Butterfly

@EveRH wrote:

Good example: A friend posted about a relative's recent medical procedure at a hospital on social media. Many friends passed on their good wishes, said they'd pray for the person, etc. I called after the person was home from the hospital, and they said that for all the good wishes & prayers posted on social media, I was the only one who actually called to see how they were doing!

Good example..   like no one sends birthday cards anymore much, just posts to the person's accounts.  Times have really changed.

Honored Social Butterfly

@AARPTeri wrote:

Studies are showing how the younger generation are using these two apps frequently.  I am curious, does anyoneon here use either of these?  What do you thinnk?

Dont use either.. same reason as the others...  I don't want to share my entire life online or I won't have time for any real time stuff  : )

Honored Social Butterfly

I think communications would be a lot better, and people more attentive, if they spoke directly to their real friends, instead of posting such trivial stuff to a huge circle of acquaintances online. [and never mind all the things they probably shouldn't post anywhere at all!]

Honored Social Butterfly

Let the young folks enjoy! I can live without them. 

โ€œWhen the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.โ€ - Jimi Hendrix
Honored Social Butterfly

It's bad enough that I spend time here & on Facebook; I don't need any other social media! Unlike so many young people today, I also don't need to broadcast about everything I do.

cancel
Showing results forย 
Showย ย onlyย  | Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Centipedeยฎ and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP