AARP Members Enjoy Exclusive Discounts on Travel, Dining and More. Join Today

Social Butterfly

Re: Do you get your news on a mobile device?

Message 1 of 20 (336 Views)

When I travel I usually load a few news apps on my smartphone.  I like to have one of my local TV station apps along with the NPR app and maybe the AP and Guardian apps as well.  I set them up to get push notifications so I'm up to date with breaking news.

alaskadude1948
Respected Social Butterfly

Message 2 of 20 (371 Views)

ASTRAEA wrote:

The rest of the time I'm too busy living my life, to be obsessed with news over which I have no control. Sorry ..

Yes, I could not  agree more.   

vita umbratilis

Message 3 of 20 (609 Views)

Hello eveyone, and thanks for your contributions to this topic. Please remember to address the topic.

If you wish to make a political comment, please post it in the political thread areas of the community.

Thanks.

Info Seeker

Message 4 of 20 (1,099 Views)

Yes. I have 4 mobile apps I look at throughout the day when I have a few minutes free

Info Seeker

Message 5 of 20 (1,279 Views)

Yes I do.

Info Seeker

[ Edited ]
Message 6 of 20 (1,838 Views)

Nice comment, however I do not agree that one must get the newpaper to get complete facts that a reporter is offering. There are many ways to get information from many articles on the web some of the places I go to have more information than the newspaper ever had. I do not limit myself to one source I get my information from many, many different sites. As I am sure that most people who get their information online do. I do not get information from only sites that I agree with I love getting both sides, Snopes and fact checker have very detailed reports on their sites and reference places that one can get from other sources.

Info Seeker

Message 7 of 20 (1,849 Views)

If you do not like the politics of newspapers, or websites, or blogs, and you only read things from people who agree with you politically, you are setting yourself up to be mightily abused.  

Legitimate reporters develop areas of expertise that are far deeper and broader than the talking heads, or the op/ed pages. They pay attention to a topic and learn about it in depth when you do not have the access, time, or inclination to do so.

When reporters report without editorial comment, the report is as close to the facts as they can get. Do they make mistakes? Sure, but they are far less likely to make mistakes than you or I coming at the topic without their background and knowledge.

Snopes and the other fact-checker services are fine as far as they go, but they are not focused enough to get to more than one fact. They cannot help you see the entire picture. The big picture lets you see how things are interrelated. That allows you to make your own judgements and have your own opinions based on fact.

Highlighted
Info Seeker

[ Edited ]
Message 8 of 20 (1,929 Views)

Yes we get all our news from online and TV sources. We cancelled all the papers some years back and do not regret it. When you are online you control what you want to see and hear. And you get more reliable information. I also scour snopes and fact checker so that I know the information I am getting is accurate. Our local newspaper was too political for our liking and it prompted us to get our news else where. I would never go back to paper. I have all up to date new stuff all the time smart phone, tabs, touch computer and our newest addition Amazon Dot. I love technology can never wait for all the new fangled things to arrive.

Gold Conversationalist

Message 9 of 20 (2,302 Views)

Ever try Waze? I find it more useful than Google Maps. Shows you where the cops are (dependant on other users reporting them, of course), shows your speed & area speed limit, where the Whataburgers are, more user-friendly. Free app.

Trusted Social Butterfly

Message 10 of 20 (2,313 Views)

Only 'mobile devices' I have is a dumb phone (flip phone) and tablet. Tablet is used for travel info, while traveling, and have found it invaluable as a direction finder using google maps and gps.

News is still from TV and papers.

Just think. The world was built by the lowest bidder.