Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: Cutting the cord options for TV?

Message 2 of 6

Directv Now is going to rise the rates by $5 per month. AT&T is recovering money from all customers for the purchase of Time Warner.

Kudos
Views
Respected Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 3 of 6

@Frozenoem  I was searching for a "cutting the cable thread"  and this is the newest, which is surprising.   I finally got mad at all the equipment failure os I switched to Direct TV Now streaming  mostly for mom.  Most of what I watch is on Acorn and  & subscribe to PBS for the "passport" shows.   I cannot get live PBS on my indoor antenna.   I  too still get a couple of DVDs from Netflix each month.  Paying around $50 for internet, $50 a year for Acorn, $50 for Directtv Now permonth.  About half of what I was paying for uverse for 4 tvs.   Froze you will be getting better options after your move to the warmer country?

hoc voluērunt
Gaius Julius Ceasar
Kudos
Views
Trusted Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 4 of 6

@Epsterwrote:

We use Netflix for DVDs. (No streaming.) We watch PBS programming, History Channel programming, some TV series (Ray Donovan, Sopranos, Vikings, Boardwalk Empire, Justified, Breaking Bad, Burn Notice) and movies. (~$13 a month)

We use Hulu Plus for some movies but mostly to watch series like Orville, Elementary, The Handmaid's Tale, Seinfeld, 30 Rock, Shades of Blue, Fargo, How to Get Away With Murder and Brooklyn 99. ($8 a month)

On rare occasion we rent a movie through Apple TV. ($3.99-5.99 a movie, no monthly fee)

We stream The Blacklist via the NBC app. (free)

For the Olympics and news, I use the web. (Starting with Twitter to locate stories of interest. I follow ~400 newsmakers, reporters and publishers, but block anyone who tries to follow me. I AM the audience there: I don't want an audience. :0))

We do not have cable, Direct or Satellite TV.  We pay $55 a month for hi speed wireless broadband internet services and $50 a month for DH's cellphone.

I couldn't care less if I keep current with 99% of what is broadcast. Indeed, I rather prefer not to. Smiley Happy Outside of the Tour and the Olympics, I can't sit still long enough to watch sports. And the truth is, I almost always fall asleep to whatever it is we are watching anyway. Smiley Happy

Epster, reformed circa 1984 MTV and CNN addict 

The $7.95/mo Netflix streaming is a bargain in addition to my DVD rental.  

Otherwise, I record antenna TV shows with four personal DVRs so I can skip through the commercials. I do not tolerate TV commercials. 

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 5 of 6

We use Netflix for DVDs. (No streaming.) We watch PBS programming, History Channel programming, some TV series (Ray Donovan, Sopranos, Vikings, Boardwalk Empire, Justified, Breaking Bad, Burn Notice) and movies. (~$13 a month)

We use Hulu Plus for some movies but mostly to watch series like Orville, Elementary, The Handmaid's Tale, Seinfeld, 30 Rock, Shades of Blue, Fargo, How to Get Away With Murder and Brooklyn 99. ($8 a month)

On rare occasion we rent a movie through Apple TV. ($3.99-5.99 a movie, no monthly fee)

We stream The Blacklist via the NBC app. (free)

For the Olympics and news, I use the web. (Starting with Twitter to locate stories of interest. I follow ~400 newsmakers, reporters and publishers, but block anyone who tries to follow me. I AM the audience there: I don't want an audience. :0))

We do not have cable, Direct or Satellite TV.  We pay $55 a month for hi speed wireless broadband internet services and $50 a month for DH's cellphone.

I couldn't care less if I keep current with 99% of what is broadcast. Indeed, I rather prefer not to. Smiley Happy Outside of the Tour and the Olympics, I can't sit still long enough to watch sports. And the truth is, I almost always fall asleep to whatever it is we are watching anyway. Smiley Happy

Epster, reformed circa 1984 MTV and CNN addict 

"The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical." Julius Erving
Kudos
Views
Respected Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views
Replies

Cutting the cord options for TV?

Message 6 of 6

That ought to sum up the exact question of the day.

what do you use if on DSL or Cable and don’t want to pay $100 month for TV, and perhaps are located 30 -100 miles away from over air digital broadcast -ewww!

If I weren’t at the end of World, I could get digital antenna for up to 100 miles coverage, mountains ruled that thought out.

60 foot rotary antenna says that won’t happen here, 4 channels and 2 are from Quebec my French speaking skills are non-existent.

Dish/Crackle

Youtube TV

or 

Hulu.com

$5 between them all price wise, and a slight surprise fee if you wish on iPhone store

who uses what and why?

This is assuming you already have a cable/dsl internet connection and isn’t part of the price point of happiness.

My local dsl provider is $30 bucks period. Cable wants $49 and Spectrum 3 month trial before cleaning like a pipe stem.

Important questions, need answers. I looked at my DVR most watched channels - 

abc, nbc,cbs,Fox, pbs, a&e, history and A&E.

Frightening bit, some I only binge on, 2 years on DVR, without watching.

Most like Hulu and YouTube allow up to 5 dvr’s.

Froze

Kudos
Views
Replies