With an AARP membership, there’s always more to discover! Check out your member benefits.

Highlighted
Silver Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Re: Core Intel i5 vs. i7, should I care?

Message 1 of 3

Thank you very much.  I was watching 3 Dell i3668 models w/i5 ($450-$499) when I happened to read the description and specs for the XPS 8920, which is an i7.  This would be my final floor tower to go w/my disliked 17" laptop.  As price as been dropping on the XPS, a low-end gamer, it has dedicated graphics and a horizontal CD and a few more connections in 2.0 and 3.0 that grab me. Think I'm spending the $100. Over and out. 

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Trusted Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: Core Intel i5 vs. i7, should I care?

Message 2 of 3

It depends on what you want to do and may want to do in the future. I play games on mine, watch video, and much more. My current desktop is around three months old. Below is an image of what mine has and you can see images of it in my profile>My Photos. I got a good price on it from Sam's Club. The Intel i5 would probably work for you.

AARPMyComputerInfo18.JPG

Kudos
Views
Silver Conversationalist
Kudos
Views
Replies

Core Intel i5 vs. i7, should I care?

Message 3 of 3

Core Intel i5 vs. i7, should I care?

Have 16 yr old Dell with Vista. No longer get updates from Microwofe or Google because I do not have more current Windows. (Daily messages) Prepare newsletters, enjoy photos, write lots of email and regular business items.  Prepare TurboTax and use other home PDF services. Discovered Intel is up to 9 or 10 and warned not to consider Core Intel i3. Price on i5 is very comfy but i7 is $200 higher. Should I care for my needs? Like Towers and watching Dell CPU sales at 3 places. Have a laptop with Win10 but want floor machine in office. Think I'm over analyzing at my use. Towers focus on gamers so basic choices are limited in HP and Dell. Absolutely no Lenovo, thank you. 

Tags (2)
Kudos
Views
Replies