Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Comparison of antivirus programs

Bronze Conversationalist

Comparison of antivirus programs

I use a free anti-virus program & am looking for another to try. The one I have now states I have broken shortcuts,registry issues, several other issues, but the free version won't take care of these. I'm thinking of using Avast. Does anyone know if this program clears up such issues ? I'm sure free programs don't take care of everything, no matter which one is chosen. And possibly, I could solve some of these myself ?

Sandee2
Contributor

Delete the broken shortcuts, Uninstall Programs you don't use, and delete your antivirus software. Anything that claims it will speed up your computer is just going to waste processing power. All you need is windows defender and windows firewall. A registry error isn't going to slow your computer down even close to as much as an "antivirus software" that's combing through your files and doing whatever it can to make it's self look useful.
Bronze Conversationalist

Now, this is something different. I always hear the more protection one has, the better. Altho, I guess the system could become so cluttered that one program could be in conflict with another, with nothing getting accomplished ?

Sandee2
Honored Social Butterfly

Try ccleaner free for your shortcuts, registry etc errors.

Dont use a free ๐Ÿœ AntiVirus, NIS is all I install on computers or use myself.๐Ÿ˜‡

NIS = Norton Internet Security.

No problems ever!!!!

Windows10 pro and Home down to Win3.1 and DOS, with a side of iOS.

Froze

And yes, after long days/nights, I'd still like to swing these hunks of glass , plastic and silicon against the nearest wall Come on retirement!
Recognized Social Butterfly

Thanks oh mighty tech god Frozenoem... Nancy 

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

Make that about to sleep tech, too long a day, night,day.๐Ÿ˜Ž

Froze

And yes, after long days/nights, I'd still like to swing these hunks of glass , plastic and silicon against the nearest wall Come on retirement!
Recognized Social Butterfly

Good Night ๐Ÿ’ค๐ŸŒ™

๐Ÿ˜Š Sweet Dream

๐ŸŒ ๐ŸŒ ๐ŸŒ ๐ŸŒ ๐ŸŒ ๐ŸŒ ๐ŸŒ 

0 Kudos
Social Butterfly

@ss11943859  What type of computer do you have and what operating system is on it?

I use McAfee Total Protection and everything is set to be checked once a week. I haven't had any problems with it. It is on both of my computers, desktop and laptop, both Dell, running Windows 10 and I have it on my Cell Phone too. 

Dell also provides Support Assist, see example image below. Click on, tap or activate image to enlarge it.

AARPDellAssist2018.JPG

cancel
Showing results forย 
Showย ย onlyย  | Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Centipedeยฎ and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP