Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Beware this Difference Between Windows 10 and 7

Trusted Social Butterfly

Beware this Difference Between Windows 10 and 7

I am guessing that, unlike me, most of you do not often run programs designed for the console screen or command prompt.  I am talking about this:

ConsoleScreen.png

I call your attention to that little rectangle on the screen.  That is where I clicked it with my mouse cursor.  Get this, clicking the console screen pauses the operation of any program running from the command prompt and, the only way I know to unpause it is to press almost any key on the keyboard.   If you accidentally click the console screen and don't notice the little rectangle, you can waste a lot of time.  In my case, I run a program that normally takes several days to complete and I have been screwed several times by this Windows 10 feature.  Not so with Windows 7.

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

Having a moment do you have an AMD Ryzen in your computer presently?

You might like to check out extremetech.com

something about not hitting max boost on all cores.

Re: Your cursor issue at “cmd” prompt, what program are you running? Really can’t think of too many programs that are different between 7 & 10.

Froze

And yes, after long days/nights, I'd still like to swing these hunks of glass , plastic and silicon against the nearest wall Come on retirement!
0 Kudos
Regular Social Butterfly

not sure your point? WX in use for 3+ years with cmd programs without the issue you're reporting.

What program are you running from your ruz folder?

#VegasStrong

#VegasStrong
Phil Harris, actor and showman, to John Fogerty of CCR: “If I’d known I’d live this long, I’d have taken better care of myself.”
Trusted Social Butterfly

@WebWiseWoman wrote:

not sure your point? WX in use for 3+ years with cmd programs without the issue you're reporting.

What program are you running from your ruz folder?

#VegasStrong

There is no "ruz folder" nor do I understand the reference.

@Frozenoem wrote:

Re: Your cursor issue at “cmd” prompt, what program are you running? Really can’t think of too many programs that are different between 7 & 10.

Froze

The program is written by me in Visual C++ for training a neural network.  Since originally posting about this problem, I have discovered that clicking on the screen only interrupts a program that is printing to the screen and is probably limited to Visual C's printf function.  But, as far as I can tell, clicking on the screen always stops the console screen from automatically closing after program completion.

What did you two suppose the purpose of the rectangular thing created by clicking on the screen is?  Decoration?  I cannot find any documentation of this.

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

@aruzinsky 

The folder @WebWiseWoman , is referencing is your %username.

As in C:\users\ruz

which does exist

As for your pretty little cursor issue, check your buffer size.

Check your pretty little switches, and I'll return to nursing dayquil.🤣

Froze

And yes, after long days/nights, I'd still like to swing these hunks of glass , plastic and silicon against the nearest wall Come on retirement!
Trusted Social Butterfly

@Frozenoem wrote:

@aruzinsky 

The folder @WebWiseWoman , is referencing is your %username.

As in C:\users\ruz

which does exist

As for your pretty little cursor issue, check your buffer size.

Check your pretty little switches, and I'll return to nursing dayquil.🤣

Froze

But, my "username" isn't "ruz".  And, why would anyone expect anything of mine to reside in a Microsoft folder?  

Although such a folder exists, it is completely empty of personal files.  Excuse me, if I forgot about some Microsoft nonsense that I never use.  I just remembered that I once tried deleting one of the subfolders and found out I couldn't.  Those folders are a nuisance.

You still haven't answered my question, "What do you suppose is the purpose of that rectangle?"

0 Kudos
Social Butterfly

@aruzinsky   What program are you running? I just tried to make this happen on mine, my computer has Windows 10 with all updates. The small rectangle did not appear when I clicked on Command Prompt. I don't use it a lot.

0 Kudos
Trusted Social Butterfly

@cat0w wrote:

@aruzinsky   What program are you running? I just tried to make this happen on mine, my computer has Windows 10 with all updates. The small rectangle did not appear when I clicked on Command Prompt. I don't use it a lot.

If you mean what version of Windows, the version number is visible in the screenshot.  No program ran in the console that was in my screenshot.  The rectangle appears anywhere on the console screen where I click it, not just the command prompt.  If I click it again, the old rectangle disappears and a new rectangle appears.

But, now I see where webwiseguy got "C:\users\ruz" which demonstrates one of many reasons why that folder is a big nuisance, more specifically, it draws attention to the irrelevant thereby obfuscating the relevant, much like some posters.

0 Kudos
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Centipede® and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP