Highlighted
Silver Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Re: Beware of August 2019 Windows 10 Update

Message 11 of 21

Windows 10 "isn't bad" in my opinion. I have it on my ThinkPad laptop.

It's an operating system, after all. Once I am working in my various applications I don't care much about the OS.

Before I retired last year, my employer...like many tech firms...held onto Windows XP as long as possible before moving to Windows 7. I imagine they are half-over to Windows 10 now (this was a software company so they always had to keep up with Windows even if we didn't run latest versions ourselves). Most companies found NT, XP, and 7 to be long-term reliable platforms.

@ss11943859 wrote:

I'm still using Windows 8.1. I've heard little that's good about Windows 10 ever since it came out. So, what's the verdict on this ?

I suppose support for 8.1 will end sooner or later.

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 12 of 21

I'm still using Windows 8.1. I've heard little that's good about Windows 10 ever since it came out. So, what's the verdict on this ?

I suppose support for 8.1 will end sooner or later.

Sandee2
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 13 of 21

Here is a better example of Microsoft shenanigans with easier to see images.  I copied the image folder with the Windows 10 "rotated" thumbnail, IMG_4672.JPG, to a flash drive:

Windows10ScreenShot.jpg

Then I moved the flash drive to another computer with Windows 7.  Here is a screenshot of File Explorer thumbnail and Paint view within Windows 7:

Windows7ScreenShot.jpg

I dare say that Window 7 is correct and Windows 10 is incorrect.  And, it is the kind of thing that will bite you in the donkey when you least expect it.

You are getting sleepy.
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 14 of 21

@Frozenoem wrote:

@aruzinsky 

Had no issues on any of my machines changing default wallpapers.

My BOFH and Register still exist on two of the laptops. 

In regards to problem with rotating image in File Explorer, no issues.

Open File Explorer

Click on image or folder.

Right click > Rotate Left or Rotate Right still work.

https://www.intowindows.com/how-to-rotate-images-in-windows-10-file-explorer/

Am I missing something?

Froze

After "rotation" in File Explorer, JPEG files remain unrotated, depending on the program that is used to open them, as demonstrated by the following screenshot:

ScreenShotRotationProblem.jpg

The two programs not showing rotation are Libre Office and SAR Image processor.  Paint and Irfanview (not shown) work as expected.  But, before the June update, rotation of JPEG images in File Explorer worked consistently with all programs.

And, I can't seem to duplicate the automatic uprighting of JPEG thumbnails.  I suspect that they have to be fresh out of the camera.  If and when this next happens to me, I will show you.

You are getting sleepy.
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Trusted Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 15 of 21

@aruzinsky 

Had no issues on any of my machines changing default wallpapers.

My BOFH and Register still exist on two of the laptops. 

In regards to problem with rotating image in File Explorer, no issues.

Open File Explorer

Click on image or folder.

Right click > Rotate Left or Rotate Right still work.

https://www.intowindows.com/how-to-rotate-images-in-windows-10-file-explorer/

Am I missing something?

Froze

And yes, after long days/nights, I'd still like to swing these hunks of glass , plastic and silicon against the nearest wall Come on retirement!
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 16 of 21

@cat0w wrote:

So far I haven't had any problems with any of the updates. Both my computers are Dell, a laptop, Dell Inspiron 5558 and desktop XPS 8920. I have Windows 10 with all updates.

Did you notice that the default wallpaper changed?

And, I guess you never use File Explorer to rotate images.

You are getting sleepy.
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Silver Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 17 of 21

So far I haven't had any problems with any of the updates. Both my computers are Dell, a laptop, Dell Inspiron 5558 and desktop XPS 8920. I have Windows 10 with all updates.

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Silver Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 18 of 21

Most upsetting (destructive) effect of the update for me was that it disabled my Yubi 4 security key. It didn't work with anything. Very upsetting. My blue Yubi "Security key" was okay except on Facebook. At first I thought this was a Facebook-only problem but the issue with the Yubi 4 persisted on all platforms.

This was very upsetting but the fix was simple enough. Unplugged the nano key (which is plugged in all (most of) the time) and reinserted, which prompted Windows to reinstall the necessary software. No problems since.

Most annoying on a daily basis is that with my Thinkpad in its dock the Winders log-in screen does not come up when I restart the computer and proceed through the bios log-in and the disk encryption password, after entering these two passwords the machine goes back to sleep. I have to press the power button another time or two to get the Windows log-in screen back up.

And now I get annoying Windows reminder that removable Drive 😧 is Bitlocker protected and I'd better mount it!   (hey, Windows, I am well aware of this drive and why it is what it is. now don't bug me.)

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Trusted Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 19 of 21

@JANMB 

So turn it off and choose to run in home or pro, you should regain use of non-MS store app’s.🤣

1. https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4020089/windows-10-in-s-mode-

Only cautionary bit, is you may need to buy Pro vs Free Home, since you own 10 S.

Read the entire section to CYA!

Froze

And yes, after long days/nights, I'd still like to swing these hunks of glass , plastic and silicon against the nearest wall Come on retirement!
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Honored Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 20 of 21

I thought I  bought a new computer with Windows 10S.    FInding later that  I don't really own it.   I have to USE the apps that they provide in their "Store".   Which makes my "magic Jack" device useless I have used on previous programs  for 6 years.    

For millions of computer users,  nearly all the features are useless when all we want to do is exchange e-mails, pay some bills and look up stuff  with goggle on occasion.    We don't want to make a lifetime study on how to use the computer.  

Kudos
Views
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users