WATCH NOW: Iowa presidential candidate forum from Council Bluffs. Appearing: Montana Gov. Steve Bullock, South Bend Mayor Pete Buttigieg and Vermont Sen. Bernie Sanders. 

Frequent Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: Basic Cell Phone

Message 1 of 29

When my truck's enging blew up on the freeway many years ago, my son bought me a flip phone and added me to his service.  Then I found that I could put a certain amount (my choice) toward my service every 90 days or pay once annually, and that's what I do now.  Once  a year I pay a flat rate, and if I don't use all my minutes they roll over until the next year.  I rarely use all the minutes - the flip phone is still for emergencies, and I use the "real" telephone or my computer messages and socializing that doesn't need to be face-to-face. 

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 2 of 29

If you have some smart phones and are using Tracfone service, when you buy minutes you buy 3 for one. About once a year we buy a 400 minute card for each phone, and get 1200 minutes. We don't text or use the internet on the phone. And 1200 minutes last us about a year. And it cost us about 20 dollars a month for two phones. At the end of the year when my time is up when we buy more air time the minutes we have left on the phone are carried forward. My self I use skype to make most of my long distance call, and with skype it cost about 30 dollars a year to call anyone in the USA.

Tags (1)
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 3 of 29

I so absolutely agree.  I have a Samsung phone which I don't use anymore.  Too much stuff on it, and I get really confused.  I have a flip phone, use AT&T and buy minutes every six weeks or so and it works fine.  I can work my desktop computer and that's all I need.  The android phone is nice but annoying with all the games and junk I simply don't need!  And I'm not paying a service for access to 'nothing.'  And since I'm retired working p/t, money is at a premium, so the more I can eliminate from any kind of unnecessary bills, the better. 

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 4 of 29
Must agree. My wife and I are child free, so no kids or grandkids that text. Consumer Cellular was a recent change for us and saved a BUNDLE of $$$$$ that we were spending with our "old" carrier that we had been with for years. Service is good, flexible, and no contracts....No downside that we can see.
Kudos
Views
Recognized Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 5 of 29

There are a lot of postings here that are my feelings also!  Why waste a bunch of money?  💰

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 6 of 29

I have been using a Samsung smartphone using TRACFONE where you purchase your minutes on a card.  I purchased the phone and card from WALMART several years ago -they help set you up - You are never bothered monthly! Purchase as much or as little as you want.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 7 of 29

If you don't want to pay the high bills of some services you might try FreedomPop. They offer unlimited minutes(by using WIFI),  and 500 MB of data for free. Just make sure you check all the settings so they don't charge for what you don't want.

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 8 of 29

I'm very happy with my Consumer Cellular flip phone.  There's no contract and the customer service is the highest rated.  I'm able to make and receive calls.  I even learned how to text.  While I got the phone just for emergencies on the road, I find myself using it for other reasons.  It even lets me take photos with its built-in camera although I haven't quite mastered its filing/retrieving system yet.  Both of my sons have those fancy smart phones but I don't need all that.  So what if they laugh at me?

Kudos
Views
Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 9 of 29

I just can't get my head around the cell phone thing.  I carry one, a flip phone at that, and only keep it in case I break down somewhere.  Smart phones and ipads baffle me to no end.  Guess I'm behind the times.  I can work a laptop and desktop and that's all I really want.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 10 of 29

Check out Puretalkusa, you can get data seperate if you want pictures and such or just talk - which does have unlimited texting. Flip phone for $25 and we have two phones on the family plan for $15 a month, more than enough minutes for us and they carry over.

Kudos
Views