Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: Basic Cell Phone

Message 21 of 29

@rk9152 wrote:

It is funny, because of this exchange I was talking to my bride tonight and said something about "going modern" and carrying the thing. She said, "Who are you going to call?" . . . . 

IF you decide to get one and become "modern" - never fret, THEY WILL COME

* * * * It's Always Something . . . Roseanne Roseannadanna
Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Trusted Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 22 of 29

"...A thought for my fellow TracFone users - I've been using it for at least eight years and have never bought extra minutes yet I have over 2,000 minutes. We keep telling ourselves we should use that thing. then we say "when?"...".

Well, to state the obvious, everyone has different circumstances. We're still land-line users. The reason we got cell phones, at all, was for travel and emergencies. We carry a phone if going anywhere out of town, and we do a fair amount of trips out of state every year and want to stay connected to neighbors and family. Otherwise, yes, hardly used.

I did opt for getting a tablet, which of course, has no monthly charges with it and only needs free wi-fi, to help on trips for planning. I do find that invaluable for travel now. Depending on your lifestyle, something to consider.

"...Why is everyone a victim? Take personal responsibility for your life..."
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 23 of 29

A thought for my fellow TracFone users - I've been using it for at least eight years and have never bought extra minutes yet I have over 2,000 minutes. We keep telling ourselves we should use that thing. then we say "when?".

However, for those who (like us) use it rarely there is a good deal. Every time I am up for renewal I do the $99 deal and then ask for the "special" which adds a year but no minutes for $50 reducing our yearly fee to $75.

It works for us - maybe you.

It is funny, because of this exchange I was talking to my bride tonight and said something about "going modern" and carrying the thing. She said, "Who are you going to call?" and I said "Humna, humna, humna". So I've decided to at least put the case on my belt - phone or not - just so I look "with it".

Again, I appreciate all the feed-back I've gotten here.

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 24 of 29

I appreciate all the advise. I'll check out the TracFone site again.

I must confess that the main problem is our ......I won't say stupidity, let's say lack of interest. I'm sure we could master this bugger but we so rarely use it that whatever we have learned we tend to forget. Occasionally my bride will push a wrong button and there the phone sits, online and burning up minutes.

Thanks again all.....

Kudos
Views
Trusted Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 25 of 29

@rk9152 wrote:

I too use TracFone, have for many years and had a basic phone.....Thanks for the advise, all. Maybe I'll try talking to them again.....".

Well, I'll have to modify my statement. We have an LG phone, $19.99, but it still has extra features. It will take pics, for example. So, a very basic, 'old fashioned' phone is not possible. It's still easy to use, even for us who don't use smart phones.

Don't talk to them. If you go into the TracFone site, and click on phones, you will be prompted for your zip code. It will then show you all the phone options, with pics and descriptions of each phone. 

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 26 of 29

I too use TracFone, have for many years and had a basic phone. About a year or so ago they told me that they no longer supported that type and sent me a new one - scads of buttons, scads of "stuff". I spoke to them about something simpler and when I said I just wanted to make and receive calls, the representative started talking very slow, and loud, and with small words. 

Thanks for the advise, all. Maybe I'll try talking to them again.

Kudos
Views
Trusted Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 27 of 29

DW and I have been using TracFone for years. We have $15 flip phones (we can text, however, with difficulty because there is no 'keyboard' as on a smart phone). We purchase the service for $99 a year that gives you 400 minutes (and usually get freebie minutes added to that).

They only work in the states, if that is a concern. I use a tablet for overseas travel. 

If you go to the TracFone site, you cam view the phone models that are available and can be purchased at places such as Target or Walmart.

Kudos
Views
Contributor
Kudos
Views

Message 28 of 29

Why not just get a flip phone and only get a talk only plan? 

Tim English
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views
Replies

Basic Cell Phone

Message 29 of 29

Not exactly on topic, but I can't find one closer.

I have a cell phone but am looking to change. But here's my problem - I don't want to tweet, I don't want to text, I don't want to search, I don't want directions - I want to talk, period.

Does anyone know of a service that offers that and a phone without 28 buttons doing 800 things?

Kudos
Views
Replies
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Ask our fitness guru your questions about fitness trackers and getting and staying fit

Top Authors