AARP’s "Prepare to Care: A Resource Guide for Families" can help make the job more manageable. Here’s how to receive a free copy.

Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Re: Anyone create databases? Specifically in MS Access

Message 1 of 17

Sorry, I misunderstood your original post.

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 2 of 17

@fl4144 wrote:

Filemaker is a powerful relational data base that runs on many platforms. You can generate custom interactive forms or use the many available readymade ones. It is not cheap. Check filemaker.com

Thanks but I have MS Access so I am sticking with it.  I tried FileMaker years ago and it is a very good program.  I just don't need to buy a second database program.

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 3 of 17

Filemaker is a powerful relational data base that runs on many platforms. You can generate custom interactive forms or use the many available readymade ones. It is not cheap. Check filemaker.com

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 4 of 17

@ASTRAEA wrote:

No, I do get that people have multiple e-mail addresses, but frankly I think you're creating a bigger problem for yourself. If people respond to solicitations & have to enter their e-mail address, I find it best to update the database, and only have 1 listed. If you use any commercial e-mail system for communications, like Constant Contact or Mail Chimp, they notify you of e-mails that don't go thru & people who unsubscribe, so you can keep your listing up-to-date.

We are using Mail Chimp now. We used to use Constant Contact but MC offers free service if your mailings are under 2K addresses. 

MC does keep track of our activities in emails but not in person contacts and if we have a snail mail address without an email, we have to keep that offline too. 

I have had the same person suggested as a potential patron by 3 other supporters already involved. Usually when they turn over a mailing list or they uncover a spreadsheet of names & contact from a previous campaign.  Each of the supporters has a different email address. I pick one and it turns out to be bad but I now have to go through 2 more sets of data to try and find the other emails to try again.  Plus, we have ONE email, it is bad so we delete it without having one to add,  another patron suggests we send a solicitation and gives us THE SAME email. If I keep all the emails and label them as bad, I save myself some hassle. 

Another use is to keep track of transactions with people. I set up a transaction table and I can post that you donated, attended a dinner, offered to volunteer, or any number of things. If I use a spreadsheet and you do multiple things, I have to use comments (unsearchable) or keep adding columns. 

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 5 of 17
@Richva wrote:
I create a table with fields for  SupporterID, EmailAddress, PrimaryY-N, ActiveY-N.  It is linked to the table with Name and Address.  You can have a thousand email addresses (over time) and I don't have to change the structure of my table because it is all listed as a transaction. 

Clear as mud?

No, I do get that people have multiple e-mail addresses, but frankly I think you're creating a bigger problem for yourself. If people respond to solicitations & have to enter their e-mail address, I find it best to update the database, and only have 1 listed. If you use any commercial e-mail system for communications, like Constant Contact or Mail Chimp, they notify you of e-mails that don't go thru & people who unsubscribe, so you can keep your listing up-to-date.

Registered on Online Community since 2007!
Kudos
Views
Trusted Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 6 of 17

I am in Killeen, north of Austin.

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 7 of 17

@cat0w wrote:

Check this information out, found by doing a Google search.

https://support.office.com/en-ca/article/Access-2013-training-courses-videos-and-tutorials-a4bd10ea-...

Posted by,
cat0w
Texas (USA)

Hey, this is great.  Thanks Cat.  By the way, I know Texas is big but we are in Las Cruces NM.  Close by the sounther TX border. 

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 8 of 17

@drawpoker wrote:__________________________

You didn't mention anything about annual report to IRS/state as a 501.  Will database be used for accounting? 

If so,  there are a lot of software programs (some even free) that are written specifically for non-profits that might be better choice than MS. 

This database won't be used for accounting.  Only for keeping track of contact information and what kind of interaction we have had with our supporters and potential supporters.  Good point though. 

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 9 of 17

@ASTRAEA wrote:

What is the purpose of having multiple databases, linked or otherwise?

Actually, you have multiple tables within one database. So I have a table with name and address information which does not change much and is one to one.  Then, I create a table for email accounts..

People usually have one name and one physical address, they have multiple email addresses and they often abandon them. 

If I try to keep email in Excel, I have to keep adding columns every time you add an email.  So I have to change the structure of my table.  

I create a table with fields for  SupporterID, EmailAddress, PrimaryY-N, ActiveY-N.  It is linked to the table with Name and Address.  You can have a thousand email addresses (over time) and I don't have to change the structure of my table because it is all listed as a transaction. 

Clear as mud?

Kudos
Views
Trusted Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 10 of 17

Check this information out, found by doing a Google search.

https://support.office.com/en-ca/article/Access-2013-training-courses-videos-and-tutorials-a4bd10ea-...

Posted by,
cat0w
Texas (USA)

Kudos
Views