Make the best choices for your Medicare needs with AARP’s Medicare Made Easy. Try it today!

Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Re: Anti-virus ,malware etc. protections

Message 1 of 24
While I appreciate your point of view, I, speaking for myself was not addressing you spacificly but I was addressing the "community" at large with simple information based on "MY" experience.. You are certainly under no obligation to heed my advice or even acknowledge my existence. As I stated earlier, I was addressing all of the community.
Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 2 of 24

Hello dr57504907 & cvg726 & dj6150,

What are you people talking about? Did any of you actually read what I posted? I did not ask for anyone's suggestions or advice. I responded to a question put out by another member who posted on 22nd March 2018.

I pay for my Norton membership. I did state, in my initial response to said member, that Symantec Norton does allow consumers to tryout their services for one month, free of charge. I used to have Kaspersky on my laptop in 2012 (per Geek Squad suggestion via my AARP membership), however, I felt uncomfortable having something that originated from and is based in Russia; so, I dropped it. Good thing too because no solidly thriving company based in Russia solely belongs to the owners, Eugene and Natalya Kaspersky. Putin owns a share of this company and its profits, as well as having a say in the company. Considering how Russia was able to get information about Americans, I do not believe it was all through Facebook. So, anyone who still uses this company is just asking for trouble, because nothing coming out of Russia is "clean".

The proper etiquette, for any situtation, is to give advice or suggestion(s) when someone asks for it. I did "not" ask, so please stop telling me what I should be doing. Also, given that I have had this PC since 2011 and my laptop since 2012, without having any of the online issues; I am doing pretty darn good, thank you.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 3 of 24

Hello d198315k,

I do not remember asking for any advice or suggestion, so I do not understand your response to me. At no time have I stated that I needed any advice as to the protection of my PC and laptop. I appreciate your advice, but it is always more respectful to give advice when someone asks you for it. 

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 4 of 24

The simplest advice is to keep your software patches up to date. Most damage is done by exploiting systems that are running outdated versions. Both WINDOWS and iOS constantly provide updates to proven vulnerabilities.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 5 of 24

I would be so wary of using any free program... you really do get what you pay for.  There are so many other things to consider than just viruses.  I work on my computer and they utilize Kaspersky.  I have the Kaspersky Total Security now, have used them for 10 years, never any problems and they have excellent customer service.  A friend had a free one, and something had happened, she called and they said they only provide support for paid version.  Makes sense to me. 

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 6 of 24

With Norton, there is no concern about "keystroke monitoring, theft of information" because of Norton's Identity Safe. Once a password is created for the Identity Safe Vault, every site I log into is collected and remembered by the Vault. So, when I log into AARP, Facebook, LinkedIn, etc., I do not have to type anything as the Vault stores all of my User Names and Passwords. If I make any changes to the required info, the Vault asks if I want it to remember the new info, if I choose "Yes", the Vault replaces the changed info. The most sensitive of info, my personal bank account, is also protected and I have had no theft of information. As far as "ransome ware, malicious code attacks, malware worms" Norton provides layers of protections.

Norton Security Scan Section:

• 3 scans: Quick, Full System and Custom.
  • Custom Task: Live Update, Clears Internet Explorer Temporary Files, Windows Temporary Files, Internet Explorer History, Disk Optimization and Backup.
  • Norton Power Eraser: Eliminates difficult to detect threats.
  • Norton Insight: Determines which fliles need to be scanned.
  • Diagnostic Report: see key information about your device.

Norton Security is divided into sections

• Security
  • Identity
  • Backup
  • Performance
  • More Norton (for more protection)

If I believe there may be an issue, I follow up a Norton Scan with Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool. Also, if there is an issue that I cannot resolve, I contact Norton tech support, they log onto my PC, find the problem, fix it and voila. Tech support is free, of course.

At the end of the day, it is all about awareness. If I get an email with the name of a family member or friend, I position my cursor over said name to reveal who the real sender is before I open it, especially if Outlook has put it in the Junk Mail folder. With Outlook, one can click on 'Phishing' to report it and then you inform that family member or friend that someone is piggybacking their name. I have been using Windows since the days of 'Dial-up' services and have never had any issues. Again, awareness/paying attention makes a big difference in online security. 

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 7 of 24
I would like to note here, many people speak of being virus free, the problem isn't just virus infection, it's ransom ware, malicious code attacks, malware worms
and several other products. You most likely won't know when you are hit by one of these things as they hide in the background and do their work, whatever the designer made them for. Such as keystroke monitoring, theft of information, infecting e-mail you send to others and so on. These people are really good and at best the companies that defend against them can be a day behind or more. It take a lot of programmers working day and night to design fixes and blocks and labor is not free and as such, a good protection software is not free either. You may never be hit with a malicious code attack, though those of you on a Windows are at much greater risk, but when you do take a hit, it will cost you.
And, if the attack retransmits through e-mail, you will be asking the people in your mailing list to join you.
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 8 of 24

I myself have been using Avast for several years.  It's free for home use, works across multiple platforms, and has kept me virus free for years.

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 9 of 24

I use a combination of Windows Defender, Malwarebytes 3 Premium, Patch My PC to keep all installed programs up to date every day - important for security, Ace Utilities for cleaning up junk files. Don't click on any links especially in e-mails. Haven't had any problems the last few years.

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 10 of 24

My husband uses Norton Security and a Malware program.

Kudos
Views