Protect your digital identity with AARP’s fraud resource center. Try it today!

Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Re: Anti-virus ,malware etc. protections

Message 11 of 24

I have used Norton Anti-Virus products ever since Peter Norton owned it. Yes, it costs to use it annually. However, I have never had a virus hit on my computer or any other kind of glitch. Admittedly, I am careful; I do not haphazardly click on links that solicit me, even from an apparently "known" source. I go to the site that is purportedly contacting me myself. I was in the computer industry before retirement since it was vacuum tubes. I know what can be done with malfeasance in mind. Unfortunately, there are other ways of being breached and Norton handles all of them well. Just remember to keep it up to date, no matter what company's protection you are using. Don't think "it can't happen to me". If you do not have some sort of protection in this day and age, you are a fool and a fool and his/her money are soon parted. Always use a backup, local, not cloud or whatever, and run a virus check at least once a week, preferably daily. It's not whether you can afford the time or money, it's can you not.

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 12 of 24

I’ve used AVG free version, AVG professional version, and other versions in the past, and WINDOWS Defender.  I now use MALWAREBYTES Premium.  They also have a free version.  I stopped using other versions because they either were incompatible with the PC operating system, or they interfered with WINDOWS updates or they were insufficient.  With MALWAREBYTES Premium, I have not encountered any problems, and on those rare occasions I’ve needed Tech Support I found both their online chat and phone support very efficient.  Also they are effective against Ransom Ware, viruses, and other computer assaults.  They have versions for PCs, MAC, and android phones.  They also have a monthly newsletter which is very good inf about securing your computer.

malwarebytes anti-malware free

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 13 of 24
The information came from Sophus security systems corporate IT support. I am not trying to say that these other protection packages don't have value, for they are certainly better than having nothing at all. I suggest you visit the Bitdefender site and do a little lite reading.
Kudos
Views
Trusted Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 14 of 24

@vjparker 

You said, "On average, in the US, there are 23 viruses released everyday. Some source the e-mail, some on social media, many in JPEG files people download because their cute. And then pass them along to their friends."

Where did you get your information?

You said, "Thank you for the information"

Who are you posting to?

I have Spectrum as my ISP and they provide a Security Suite for up to Ten computers, however, I have my own subscription for McAfee Total Protection.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 15 of 24

The "only" anti-virus, malware, ID protection that I use and have used for the last 8 years is Norton Security and have had none of the PC/online issues so many encounter. I have tried McAfee and Geek Squad's referral of Kaspersky (which I stopped after two months). Norton Security is not 100%, none is, but they provide a level of comfort the aforementioned did not. One of the primary security is Norton's Identity Safe that stores every single User ID and Password and eliminates the consumer having to type in at every single site they log into. With this kind of protection, checking your financial account and/or making purchases with a trusted site, no one is able to copy any keystroke because the Identity Safe fills it out for you. All of my User IDs and Passwords are protected by Norton's Vault, which has to be opened via a password. If you are a Comcast customer, Norton is provided for free. Norton also provides free trial(s): 

https://us.norton.com/downloads?inid=nortoncom_nav_downloads_homepage:homepage

Also, you can download Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool for free:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/malicious-software-removal-tool-details.aspx

Also a rule of thumb - never download any form of protection from third party vendor, if you cannot download from the legal creater. Example: Norton is a creation of Symantec. Hope this helps.

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 16 of 24
There are many free services, but first of all, nothing good, (really good) comes free. Second, who are they fronting for, several are fronts for hackers who have backdoors built into the (free) software. And no one is going to spend the time to score the dark web and other sources to find the treats before they release. On average, in the US, there are 23 viruses released everyday. Some source the e-mail, some on social media, many in JPEG files people download because their cute. And then pass them along to their friends.
Thank you for the information, but I will pay for good service and the satisfaction it brings. Zero viruses,Zero malware, Zero malicious code attacks, Zero mail attacks since 1988. I am online all day everyday 7 days
Kudos
Views
Trusted Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 17 of 24

@ss11943859

Have you checked with your internet service provider to see if they offer anything free.

Here are some links to things you can use and look at if you have Windows.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/malicious-software-removal-tool-details.aspx

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/wdsi

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 18 of 24

I very much agree with the use of Linux, it’s platform is Unix as is the Apple OS.
It has long been known that Unix dose not lend itself well to viruses or malicious code attacks but
most people still buy windows boxes with Windows OS installed and take little or no action to improve
their odds of stopping or combatting all of the bad stuff targeting windows and the Android OS out there.
I would have little trust in Chromebooks as they store on their cloud and their business is data mining,
so how secure is your data. I have used Apple all of my life and would never change. I don’t have any worries
about virus or malicious code binding as the OS sees it and shows me and I simply destroy the code in the trash.
Even so, I still use Bitdefender family pack on all 5 of my computers and it also extends to my iPhones.
It has caught malware on more than a few occasions and destroyed it before the OS security sees it.
There is a lot going on out there and most people are regrettably unprepared or unaware of it. Perhaps
if people were allow to attend BLACK HAT events, their eyes would be opened as to just how easy it is
to breach basic security and access anything on a hard drive while users are searching for a dinner idea on Google.
I have been a hacker, many years ago, but I keep up with all of the stuff on the dark web, and the tools available there
allow any 12 year old that is bored the do a lot of damage through the web. If I can do anything to make people understand that,
I guess it gives my life meaning and pisses off those who want to do harm.
Victor J. Parker

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 19 of 24

I know most seniors tend toward Apple or Windows laptops & PCs but there is also Linux which is free and provides thousands of free open source software also.

I'm retired but spent 20+ years in a top 25 tech company as an Engineer.  

I've had virus's on Windows in the past even despite the best in Corporate Security.  

I've used Linux (the Ubuntu linux version) for 10 years and have never had the need of virus protection or any remote threat from a virus.    Linux is built very differently from Windows and is not anywhere near as vulnerable to virus's as Windows is.

As most retired people probably use the web mostly via a Web Browser they could do that easily with Linux or even a ChromeBook (which runs a derivative of Linux) without ever worrying about a virus again (as far as I understand the current virus technologies).

You can still play music, watch netflix/youtube, print etc using either Linux/ChromeBook but greatly reduce your costs and your exposure to virus risks.

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 20 of 24

I would like to "HIGHLY" reccomend Bitdefender. It offers total Protection on Windows, Android, macOS and iOS devices.

It is not free, but it really works and is very well supported and gets updates to it's antivirus and anti-malware files every day and sometimes twice a day.  If you are a casual user of the net and your data is not a concern, you don't need to spend the money, but if you are concerned about data theft, (including your personel data) this software should be looked at seriously.

I have been in i t for 30 years and have never seen anything to outperform it.

https://www.bitdefender.com/solutions/

Kudos
Views
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Roundtable Discussion:
Ask questions and get advice from fellow entrepreneurs