Are you a caregiver? Tell us how you plan your getaway with loved ones for a chance to enter a weekly prize drawing.

Bronze Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Re: What are your favorite Elvis songs and memories?

Message 11 of 31

My mother adored him, and my dad resented him - it was pure jealousy.  I grew up with Elvis as a child - I know every single song he ever sang.  I thought he was incredibly handsome as I grew - but the sneer he had that came out every once in awhile was not to my liking.  For all the crazy things he did, ate, said, and just having that much charm made him who was as a person, but his music was for everyone.  He sang like no one else, he moved like no one else, and it's a shame he died the way he did.  His personal life was a mess, but his music could soothe a child - he was the King - of music.  It's so sad that his life ended tragically whereas he could have lived, became old, and have a million stories to tell his grandchildren.  Have you heard the "Trilogy"?  I think he put his soul into that song, and it's the one that can make me cry.  He had an incredible voice that gave me goose bumps.  Another one lost but not forgotten.

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 12 of 31

Answer: none!  

As 'teens in the 50's, we were heavy into Black (mostly) R&B, so the pelvis's entry was seen as a rip-off of what was a black domain. Nobody I knew was impressed...

Kudos
Views
Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 13 of 31

"Viva Las Vegas" with the incomparable Anne Margaret.  I guess there was more than a little tension coming from Priscilla.

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 14 of 31

My all time favorite Elvis song is "Kentucky Rain". A song written by Eddie Rabbit and featuring Ronnie Milsap on the piano

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 15 of 31

I was eight and too young to appreciate Elvis when he first started his rise to national and world wide fame, but by the time I was 12 or 14 I was a confirmed fan.  I had the hair and some similar facial features and played both up big.  My biggest regret is that I was stationed at Nellis AFB in Las Vegas NV in 1969 and was there when Elvis came out of retirement.  I was newly married and just an E-3 making about $150 per month we barely had enough to pay rent and survive.  Plus the fact that it was a dinner show with alchaol being served and niether one of us was of age - bottom line - we didn't go.  I will always regret not trying.  I was fond of the King's early years and just about anything prior to the Lounge Lizzard cape & jumpsuit days.  The movies seemed to all be the same plot with background changes, but I watched them all.  Difficult to pick a single favorite, but I can narrow it down to a few:  Teddy Bear, Are you Lonsome Tonight, It's Now or Never, Lovin' You and Little Sister.  Interestingly my absolute least favorite Elvis song is Love Me Tender.  It's not that I do not like it, its just that I like every other song he ever did - - better.

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 16 of 31

My favorite was on the back of the Harum Scarum soundtrack, Wisdom of the Ages. A beautiful song with interesting lyrics:

Listen, to the wisdom of the ages
Listen, to the words of many sages

Live each day, as if it were your last
It's written in the stars, your destiny is cast
And that hourglass, runs too fast no doubt
For the sands of time are running out

Listen, to the wisdom of the ages
These words, can be found in history's pages

Live each day, for happiness can't wait
And love while you may, but heed the hand of fate
If the finger points, it's too late no doubt
For the sands of time, are running out
But the man who turns, and escapes somehow

Is the wisest of men
And to such a man, I'd bow

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 17 of 31

King Creole.....I like the dark side he portrayed in the movie also.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 18 of 31

bridge over troubled water!

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 19 of 31

I wasn’t that big of a fan of the King but I remember August 16, 1977 the day he died, where I was at and what I was doing.

It’s difficult to choose just one of his songs as my favorite. He had so many that I liked. But if I had to pick one I’ll pick “Kentucky Rain”, written by Eddie Rabbit and released in 1970 by Elvis.

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 20 of 31

I've been a Elvis fan as long as I can remember.  "If I Can Dream", "In the Ghetto " and "How Great Thou Art" are just a few of my favorites as they showcase the feeling he put into his songs.

Kudos
Views
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users