Boycotts, Movements and Marches: Relive Some of the Events That Led to Change During the Civil Rights Movement. Read More

Conversationalist

Re: Share Your Memories of Marilyn Monroe

Message 11 of 16

Of course she was murdered, just like JFK. I was working for Jackie Kennedy's step father, Hugh D. Auchincloss, in D.C. when I was 21 during this horrendous period. It was also during the time a lot of gays lived in fear and my partner was killed. Those in power were responsible. Marilyn was excited about getting back together with Joe whom she loved. My daughter still has the china Marilyn bought for Joe's sister Lee, for her birthday.

Report Inappropriate Content
Info Seeker

Message 12 of 16

They had a statue of Marilyn in Palm Springs, CA. We drove through & saw it on the way to Arizona. It was quite large & amazing. Low & behold the next morning when we woke up she was parked on a flatbed truck in two pieces outside our hotel room. People were taking pictures alongside her as did I. She was being moved to the east coast New Jersey I think. And just like that she was gone...much too soon as in real life.

Bronze Conversationalist

Message 13 of 16

Ms. Monroe was a beautiful woman and the public was shocked she had been found dead in her home.  Also, it was a time when we didn't see the dead on public news which she was shown coming out of her apartment in a body bag.  This intensified the public wanting to know more.  No one buys she committed suicide, although it was staged rather well.  It had been rumored she was pregnant and the way she loved children she would not have committed such an act for it not only would have taken her life it would have hurt the baby she wanted.  To this date, I and others believe she was murdered and we have this sympatheic knowledge, we just do not have evidence.  Therefore, she remains someone the public will love, honor and respect and feel sorry she lost her life by someone else's hand, not her own.  She was a beautiful human being that got caught up in politics and love.  Bless her heart, always a fan and a lover of this icon.  Rest in peace Marilyn, the truth will always come out, nothing stays hidden forever.

Social Butterfly

Message 14 of 16

I was a fan of Marilyn,  She was a sensitive soul who seemed lost most of the time, and her beauty shone on the screen.  Absolutely shocked when she died.  I believe it was accidental and not intentional.   She was a true movie goddess, out of reach of us mortals!

Info Seeker

Message 15 of 16

A very beautifu; actress who died in a very tragic way

Highlighted
Community Manager

Share Your Memories of Marilyn Monroe

Message 16 of 16

The world was stunned on Aug. 5, 1962, when Marilyn Monroe died at age 36. As we mark 55 years since her sudden passing, the blond bombshell continues to loom large in pop culture, portrayed by a revolving door of actresses. As part of our AARP Icons series, we take a look at her life and lasting impact.

What are your memories of Marilyn? Please post your thoughts and read what others remember most.