There's always more to discover with an AARP membership! Check out your member benefits.

Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Re: Did Diana marry for love or for fairy tale?

Message 41 of 67

I think it was probably far more for the fairy tale.  It has always been the aim of the aristocracy to marry as high as possible and, obviously, the heir to the throne is THE highest there is.  Her family undoubtedly pushed hard for the marriage.  Charles' father pushed for it.  I think both hardly knew each other and both married partly due to family pressure.

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 42 of 67

Because it is an opinion poll and we live in a world that minds, and comments on everyone's lives and private business.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 43 of 67
Reading through the replies...many good thoughts, opinions, etc. Who really knows the answer left us some 20 years ago ... I too believe Diana, lovely, charming, innocent, brave young woman thought she met her man in
shining armor and did not enjoy the role as time went on due to circumstances and mis-match with her prince, difficulties with adjust to life in the monarchy, etc. However, shouldered and tried to make the best of it, and then became a victim of scandal. Adored her children and loved motherhood ... I too believe she did not know what she was getting herself into but who could be so worldly at 19! To be ready for such a commitment is rare so young; however, many young marriages (those I even know) can survive and true love, I believe, can prevails Not a storybook romance ... this situation just turned ugly as tine went on. I was furious with Charles and felt he ruined Diana's life. He pick in men even afterwards if they were her picks, never seemed to get better. So, I do not believe she married for the fair tale but did want true love.
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 44 of 67
My response came in the form of a question to the original post. Why ask a question that only the people involved could possibly answer? Since then I have received 2 notifications from AARP on this subject. It should be obvious that I have NO interest in this subject. Just one more thought: would you want anyone to question whether or not you fell in love or were you just seeking a fairy tale life? This is the end of this for me.
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 45 of 67

WHY is this topic garnering so much interest?  

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 46 of 67
Loretta May Alexander Outstanding response. I think if the monarchy survives it will be because of Diana and the influence she had with her sons. William and his wife have breathed new life into a monarchy that had grown stale for modern times. I have great respect for Queen Elizabeth II but she certainly came at a time when she couldn't bring about the changes necessary. It should have been the Prince of Wales' responsibility to cause the changes but instead, it was his wife, whom he nearly drove insane. Thankfully, she had the most backbone in that relationship. The queen should be grateful that the monarchy will continute despite his stupidity.
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 47 of 67
If we followed your logic we would never contemplate why anyone did anything. That might not be such a bad thing until it comes to lying, cheating husbands and politicians!
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 48 of 67

Don't care. Sick of hearing about the royals. They are irrelevant to my life or the U.S.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 49 of 67
Who wouldn't marry a prince?
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 50 of 67
He didn't love Diana, just wanted her to have kids. He was in love with that ugly old wrench Camille. I think he is a disgusting person and have no respect for him at all. Loved Diana, Yes, she didn't know what she was getting into with that nasty lying man.
Kudos
Views
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users