Rethink your job search and find opportunities for experienced workers with AARP’s job board.

Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Re: Did Diana marry for love or for fairy tale?

Message 21 of 67

I thinks she thought she was in love since Charles pursued her.  He needed a gullible, sheltered, appropriately cultured, pretty YOUNG woman who could produce Charles' heirs.  I never thought he loved her.  He and the royal family needed a breeder, since Camilla Parker Bowles was a known player in Charles' life.  Hideous but I believe it's true.

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 22 of 67

I'm speechless; this is certainly detailed and seems like first-hand knowledge or intimacy with the monarchy, or read every story ever published.  

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 23 of 67

I belive Diana married for love.  What young 19 year old girl wouldn't fall in love with the future king of England if he showed her some attention??  In time, she came to realize that her husband loved someone else and always would and that she was used by the royal family just to provide a pair of heirs so that love turned into anger and disappointment.  It's amazing how Charles had a young, beautiful wife, but still loved a woman who although having had a relationship with him, went on to marry someone else.  Just goes to show, the heart wants what the heart wants, no matter the circumstance.   I'm sure that if Charles had done right by her, Diana would of been happy and probably still would be alive today.

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 24 of 67

I do believe Diana trusted the royal family, until she realized they were not what she thought they were.  They were cold and manipulative, and she was very emotional and intemperate.  She wasn't emotionally mature, or wise. 

I do think Diana completely misjudged the Windsor's, both before and after the marriage.  She knew before the marriage that Charles was still close to Camilla, she found an engraved bracelet he'd bought for Camilla the night before the wedding & told her sister she didn't want to go through with it.  The sister talked her out of quitting at the finishline.  Her family wanted Diana to go through with the wedding. 

But don't blame Camilla, she & Charles went way back.  She was in love with Charles and he with her (as much as he could be) when they were dating.  It was his family who stopped their affair, they didn't consider her suitable as the future mother of his children.  The Windsor's didn't marry just anybody, remember the Queen's family stopped her sister Margaret from marrying her own love, they ruined Margaret's life.  Charles & Camilla were always close, she was his soulmate.  She only married someone else after their affair was broken up by his family.  He waited a longer time, if they hadn't pushed him to marry Diana then, I doubt he would have ever married.  They wanted Diana because the public had become so infatuated with her, & of course she had the right pedigree.  (Actually, the Queen was said to have expressed doubts that Diana could stay the course and finish the race, so to speak.  And she was right.)  To the Windsor's, a position in their family was work, a huge, important, lifetime, fully encompassing job.  Being constantly in the public eye, being held to a higher standard, having every fiber of even your clothing dissected and analyzed by myriad peoples at every moment for hidden meanings, I mean that kind of a life would exhaust most people in a short time.  You'd have to be absolutely committed to it (and to your spouse) to be able to do it, and Diana obviously wasn't.  She left, and she left in a very public and humiliating way for Charles, she manipulated public opinion by secretly using Andrew Morton to write an insider biography.  She wasn't willing to live a double life.  And the Windsor's were furious. 

The Windsor's have spent the last 20 yrs trying to get out from under what happened to Diana, many people blamed them, and not wrongly.  Her sons have been given more leeway to live their lives in their own way than any other British monarch, and the public likes them, they're popular.  Her sons loved their mother, she was evidently good to them.  She wasn't a bad person. 

Diana reminds me of my sister, same age, both very attractive physically, both low IQ, both wanted to marry someone who was older than them & wasn't suitable for them.  Both headstrong, didn't have good judgment & made a mess of their lives.  But bright, eager, affectionate. 

But I don't think Diana married for love.  I think she knew the Windsor's needed her for breeding purposes, and she knew they needed the positive press coverage she was getting; she had all the correct ancestors and the looks, but on top of that the British people were fascinated with her.  Diana played the part before the wedding, she really tried to be what Charles wanted, but she just couldn't do it for the long haul.  They had nothing in common.  She wasn't that good an actress.  It wasn't just Charles, it was his whole family, the only one she was said to have had anything in common with was brother Andrew, Princess Anne hated Diana with a passion, she complained constantly that she was doing so much work for the family & yet the press was only interested in what Diana was doing and wearing and saying. 

You're right about the Queen & Co. realizing what Diana was getting into yet never making sure she understood it.  I think they realized she was exactly what they needed, desperately, to keep the public's support for the monarchy going.  They're a family business, everything about them depends on public support, everything.  They're avaricious, and calculating, everything they do is with their future in mind.  Diana understood they needed her, but she didn't understand the depths of their hatred if they turned against her, and when they did turn against her, it really upset Diana.  She had thought all she had to do was to get out of the marriage & she could keep everything else, but they weren't going to allow that. 

Things are different now, somewhat, but not completely.  The anniversary of Diana's death is bringing up all the old forgotten information.  Diana was beautiful, innocent, headstrong and foolhardy, she was a charismatic figure who thought her ability to fascinate the public would protect her against one of the richest, most powerful families in the world.  She was looking for another place to fit in when she was killed.  She had bad judgment.  But she wasn't a bad person.  That's why she's such a tragic figure. 

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 25 of 67
Love
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 26 of 67

Really??!! 

Kudos
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 27 of 67

I have to "unsubscribe" from this discussion, because some people have way too vivid an imagination, and seem overly preoccupied with the inner activities of the royal family.

Registered on Online Community since 2007!
Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 28 of 67
Yes, I have an opinion based on years of reading bio's of Diana & news. It's not like she's an unknown.

The Spencer's wanted to marry up in society, some families are like that, they're ambitious in that particular way. Why does that seem so hard to take? (Remember your Jane Austen?)

And I wasn't saying that marrying someone with less money means you are less a person, I never said that. I never even implied it. Money doesn't make a person, though some think it does. What it makes is power. And there was more to marrying up than money, look at the social situation; Britain is a small country, the aristocracy is insular, they often marry their cousins. Diana & Charles were related, though not too closely, on different lines. She had the pedigree they wanted. She was popular, Charles wasn't. Her innocence was a breath of fresh air. Her beauty lightened up the stuffy Windsor house.

Diana was killed because of her notoriety from marrying Prince Charles, but not just that, she joined him & then she not only abandoned him & made him look pitiful, she threatened more. If she'd never married him, she'd be a nobody today, but alive. It wasn't just because she had a driver on drugs running away from press coverage she'd previously encouraged and allowed; She grabbed the tiger by the tail & rode it, and it bit her. Her car was swiped by a white car during that Paris chase, the driver didn't wreck on his own; they found the paint chips on her car, they found the car & owner but he was never charged, and a year later he was found dead under mysterious circumstances. There's a lot more to that "accident". There is evidence of a coverup.

A friend of Diana's told an interviewer (under anonymity) that Diana had told her in private two weeks before she was dead that she was furious with the Windsor's for preventing her from being able to keep all her honorifics after the divorce, she said she knew something secret and shameful about them that they didn't want the public to know and she was going to use it against them. The Windsors are more than a family, they're an institution, a government, with all the resources and the (too often terrible) power that implies. She was just one not-too-bright person who thought her popularity protected her.

There's a lot out there, you just have to look for it.

Diana personified the 'fairy tale' to some people, but not me, she definitely wasn't living in a fairy tale. She was living in a world of secrets & lies, and power, power she threatened. And power, as Machiavelli famously said, corrupts. Poor Diana, she didn't have a chance. She crossed the wrong people. What happened to her was a terrible, unforgivable act, and it could have so easily been prevented.

Kudos
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 29 of 67

@k476200t - Even if you "reply" to a specific post, there's nothing automatically put in your post that identifies that connection .. so any comments directed as a specific post or person make little sense.

You can do 2 things, to link your post with the one to which you're responding. You can use the "Quote" button (above right on entry formatting bar), to include the previous post .. and edit to just include what you want. You can also use the @, which automatically brings up a drop-down list of people who've participated in that discussion. Click on the person to whom you're responding, and that will show up in your post. If they're set up to get e-mail notifications, anyone identified that way will get an e-mail that someone's addressed them in a post.

Registered on Online Community since 2007!
Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 30 of 67
Wow. Your very opinionated. Where did you get all this information from? How do you know that the Spencers were pushing their daughters to marry into the royal family and that their mother married up. Just because you marry someone who has more money than you doesn't mean you are less than them, and Diana wasn't killed because of the fairy tale, she died in a car wreck being chased by the press with a driver that should not have been at the wheel.
Kudos
Views
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users