Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

my sisters and i are going broke rapidly, keeping my dying mother at home and paying for home health

my sisters and i are going broke rapidly, keeping my dying mother at home and paying for home health

where are we to get money to support her until the ehd of her life? not to mention we are approaching our mid 60's with just about nothing upon which to live  is there some financial help out there from some goverment offic or some agency this is becoming desperate thank you suzetta19

0 Kudos
AARP Expert

@sm30294191 wrote:

where are we to get money to support her until the ehd of her life? not to mention we are approaching our mid 60's with just about nothing upon which to live  is there some financial help out there from some goverment offic or some agency this is becoming desperate thank you suzetta19

Hey Suzetta, you've gotten some good advice. I'll be a bit more specific. First let me advise that you use HER money and not yours because obviously you'll need yours and the poorer she is, the more she is eligible for. to get help with the process of applying for help for her, i'd say. You put your zip code into www.eldercare.gov and find the agency that serves the people who are 60+ in your town or county, and then you call and make an appointment to talk to a social worker. find out and get the forms about applying for medicaid, respite care, etc. see if there are any volunteers who visit. transportation options, meals on wheels, stuff like that. go, immediately, like on monday. 

if you can afford it which is sounds like probably not, an elder law attorney would help you apply and watch out for tax issues and property stuff. but the long term care medicaid office should also help with that. 

what else do you need? write more? we are here.

Jane

Contributor

Was your father or Mom in the miltary during wartime? There's a program for elderly veterans and spouses widowed or still married.  

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

@sm30294191 wrote:

I do not know your mother's income level but if she has low income and few assets she may qualify for Medicaid - apply in the state where she lives.

If your mother has been diagnosed to be terminal and death is imminent or  within a 6-month period, and she has Medicare, Hospice care covered by Medicare can help with her daily care - Hospice provides it.  Medicaid covers something similar.

Do you know the programs of Social Security, Medicare, Supplemental Security Income (SSI), Medicaid - How has your mother been getting by up til now in income and in care?

Your post would get more attention, I believe, if it was under the "Caregiving" board.  I will ask them to move it.

It's Always Something . . . . Roseanna Roseannadanna
0 Kudos
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Asteroids® and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP