Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Contributor

hello, my name is Pearlene

I have been my husband care taker for 3 years. He has had 2 sugeries ,one for colon cancer. Does anyone know of an agency in the merrillville Indiana to asist me with cleaning. we cant afford to pay the home health angency. We have a lot of debts we are trying to pay. If so can you put me in touch with them. I would so appreciate it. thank you

0 Kudos
AARP Expert

Hello Pearlene:  Thank you for sharing and reaching out.  Jen and Jane both gave you some great options to look into.   One small point that I wanted to raise as you move forward because  you mentioned that debt has piled up recently:  If you have a lot of debt and are finding it difficult or unmanageable, please consider consulting with a consumer debt attorney.  I'm sure you have a lot on your plate at the moment, but if you can carve out an hour of your time to meet with one in your area, it could be a gamechanger.  Attorneys who practice this area of law usually provide free consultations, so there should not be a cost outlay for you upfront. 

There are tools and techniques that consumer debt attorneys can use to preserve your assets and help you ensure that are paying your debts in the most efficient way.   My husband is a board-certified bankruptcy attorney and talks to people whose lives have been impacted by a medical crisis or caregiving duties every day.  Many times, he can help them with a plan of action (for example, making sure they keep protected assets, like a homestead or certain retirement accounts, from the reach of creditors).   I've learned so much from his experiences at work and his expertise definitely helped us make good decisions when we were faced with our own caregiver and medical debts.   My hope is that you can get this kind of counsel if the debts are getting out of hand. 

If you need assistance locating an attorney in your area, your state's bar association's website is a good place to start.  Many state bars have referral services.  You may also have a bar association in your county or city that can direct you to local attorneys. 

Pearlene, keep us posted with your progress.  I'm wishing your husband and you the best of luck. 

Amanda  

Amanda Singleton
All posts are intended to convey general information only and not to provide legal advice or opinions. The posting and viewing of the information in this community should not be construed as, and should not be relied upon for, legal or tax advice in any particular circumstance or fact situation. The information presented may not reflect the most current legal developments. An attorney should be contacted for advice on specific legal issues. Nothing written in this community is intended to create an attorney‑client relationship. An attorney-client relationship may only be established through direct attorney‑to‑client communication that is confirmed by the execution of an engagement agreement.
0 Kudos
AARP Expert

@pc962 wrote:

I have been my husband care taker for 3 years. He has had 2 sugeries ,one for colon cancer. Does anyone know of an agency in the merrillville Indiana to asist me with cleaning. we cant afford to pay the home health angency. We have a lot of debts we are trying to pay. If so can you put me in touch with them. I would so appreciate it. thank you

Jen gave you a lot of places to start, and perhaps i'd start with the agency that comes up when you put your zip code in the eldercare.gov site. 

You also may be able to get help with your debt; again, i'd ask the social workers at the agency that serves your area.

tell us more? God bless you and good luck,

Jane

0 Kudos
Community Concierge

@pc962 wrote:

Pearlene,

Hi and welcome! Your role as a caregiver for your husband is an important one. We have a state Care Guide that you can access HERE that might be of help. 

First, you can start with the Northwest Indiana Community Action Corporation (NWICA). You can reach them here: 5240 Fountain Drive Crown Point, IN 46307

219–794–1829

OR 1–800–826–7871 

www.nwi-ca.com 

You can also call the Eldercare Locator for more in-home help needs. The phone number is: 1-800-677-1116.

Please come back and let us know if you were able to find the help you needed. 

Thanks!

Jen

AARPJen
Caregiving Concierge
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Asteroids® and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP