Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Where to Get Financial Help for Grandparents Raising Grandchildren

Contributor

Where to Get Financial Help for Grandparents Raising Grandchildren

I am parenting my two grandchildren. They are two years old. Where, if anywhere, can grandparents findfinancifin assistance?

0 Kudos
Contributor

So many have asked that question but noone has the answer. I am the legal Guardian of my 4 grandchildren. My wife and I have plenty of resouirces to care for ourselves. As you know dinner for two is much less than dinner for 6.

For ten years Ihave been reading about the efforts and plans to provide Grandparents financial support for being guardians of their Grandchildren. The level of financial support has been equated with that of a foster parent which in my area can equal 500-600 per child. I do not need nor want that money for myself. My wife and I give all we have to providing a home and care for the children.

We are blessed to be a part of their lives.

But, the house is too large to care for. We spend 2,000 on food per month with coupons. We both need glasses and other necessities.

And guess what? I am still hearing someone is going to do something to help these grandparents and the children.

The answer is. Your not going to get financial assistance for them as long as you have enough resources to take care yourself.

Peace

0 Kudos

I take of a great grandson I don't have the enough money to take care of us we need our on place we living in a room house, do you havecsome to help us get our on place 

0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

Would this also include getting child support payments from dead beat dads in Illinois if Grandparents wanted to ask for it?

0 Kudos
AARP Expert

@SandraB622802 wrote:

Would this also include getting child support payments from dead beat dads in Illinois if Grandparents wanted to ask for it?

call the american bar association chapter in illinois and find a lawyer and ask. wouldn't it be grand if so?

Jane

0 Kudos
AARP Expert

@kkilpatr wrote:

I am parenting my two grandchildren. They are two years old. Where, if anywhere, can grandparents findfinancifin assistance?

Hi there, K Kilpatrick,

One thing you can try is to google 'grandparent assistance' and your state or county.   I'm in Oregon so i googled "grandparent assistance raising grandchildren in oregon" and found this: http://www.grandfamilies.org/Portals/0/State%20Fact%20Sheets/Grandfamilies-Fact-Sheet-Oregon.pdf   This fact sheet has a lot on it, including places to apply for public assistance if you have a low enough income. 

Your grandchildren are very lucky to have you!

AARP has some articles on this very topic, too: https://www.aarp.org/relationships/friends-family/info-08-2011/grandfamilies-guide-getting-started.h...   You may have been doing this for a while now but i bet there's more you can learn.  Anything to make it easier for you would be worth exploring, i would think!

I am an alcohol and drug counselor, and therapist, in a rural county, and methamphetamine has lead to a sad number of children who are in foster care or with their grandparents. 

Would you share more of your story? Please know that you are a doing a huge public service as well as family service!

With a deep bow of respect, i wish you all the best,

Jane

Regular Contributor

You are on a computer so search specific to your state and county, it changes all over WI and I am sure it is the same in other parts of the US. SNAP benefits are Federal so do an application for those online. Good Luck

Contributor

I am reading of the rise in grandparents taking on the responsibility of raising their grandchildren for multiple reasons.  Retirement was on my horizon, but the good Lord has other plans for my family.  Obviously, my work will have to change (no more traveling), so then my income shall.  Where does anyone get financial asissistance  for needed help.  My grandchildren are two!  Daycare is horrendously expensive and I have at least 3 more years of it.

0 Kudos
AARP Expert

Hello KKilpatr:  Thank you for your post.  This sounds like a tremendous re-charting of your course; two-year-olds bring so much joy but also require so much energy.   Your grandchildren are fortunate to have you.

Not sure of your location, but I would suggest looking into your local senior center for a group that supports grandparents raising granchildren.  It's invaluable to connect with others who are in similar circumstances and can save you oodles of time in seeking out referrals, legal guidance, and resources.    Programs vary dramatically by state and region, so they can hopefully help you from reinventing the wheel. 

And yes, for Pete's sake, daycare is prohibitively expensive!  Our community has many day cares that offer reduced rates and scale their fees for certain families.  It cannot hurt to ask when you are considering your local daycare providers.  Bartering childcare with other families may be an option while the children are little (a co-op of sorts....this was a lifesaver for us when our daughter was little and our bank account was littler).   At a minimum, that could buy you some time for zero cost. 

My lawyer hat is always on, so I know this wasn't part of your post, but wanted to mention the following:  as you undertake guardianship for the grandkids, consider putting a plan in place for their care if you should become incapacitated or pass away.  Although incredibly difficult to think about, doing so can help the heartache, stress, uncertainty and expense for your loved ones in the face of a crisis.  Declaring preneed guardians/appointing them in a will, preparing health care surrogate forms for minors, creating trusts, naming beneficiaries on your assets, are just some examples of ways you can plan.  

I'm wishing you the best of luck and please check back in to let us know how you're doing! 

Amanda Singleton
All posts are intended to convey general information only and not to provide legal advice or opinions. The posting and viewing of the information in this community should not be construed as, and should not be relied upon for, legal or tax advice in any particular circumstance or fact situation. The information presented may not reflect the most current legal developments. An attorney should be contacted for advice on specific legal issues. Nothing written in this community is intended to create an attorney‑client relationship. An attorney-client relationship may only be established through direct attorney‑to‑client communication that is confirmed by the execution of an engagement agreement.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Centipede® and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP