Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

What to expect from care giver caring for Family member with dementia

Contributor

What to expect from care giver caring for Family member with dementia

I wanted to know if a format (template) has been developed to know what to expect from a caregiver?

How often should they give updates to family members?

what can you expect from full time 5 days a week 6 to 8 hours a day?

our family member is pretty independent, she needs transportation, and help with staying organized and active.

would a caregiver be expected to make phone calls for appointments, home repairs and updating family? 
we are not sure what we can ask of the caregiver.

if caregiver calls patient, is that the same as being on site?

If caregiver unable to come to the home should she arrange for others to care for person, or does the family find substitute.

Thank you for any assistance you can provide.

Anne  G

0 Kudos
Contributor

If you have hired an independent caregiver, then its up to you what they are expected to do.  

If you hired a caregiver through an agency, then you can still expect them to do specific things, but there needs to be a care plan put in place with the agency, letting them know what is needed, and they will communicate that to the caregivers.  I have hired an agency and I communicate what I need to have them do for my loved ones, then that is placed in the caregivers app, so they know what is expected of them.  However making phone calls (at least with the agency I hired) will need to be done with your loved ones phone.  Since they encourage the caregivers not to exchange phone numbers with clients or family members.

0 Kudos
Contributor

Thank you for your reply and suggestions.

this is no easy road.

I love the suggestion that the caretaker call from my sister home.

that would be very helpful.

I think she tends to do as she wants, we live in another area and are not close by.

Thank you

Kudos
Views
0 Kudos
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Space Adventure Pinball and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP