Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Re: What can I do? My Mom keeps feeding the dog people food and its making him sick

Message 21 of 25

I'd appreciate you being a little less confrontational.  I am new caregiver and joined this message board to get support and practical tips not be "schooled".  Please review the California laws regarding the designation of "service dog". I'd appreciate practical tips on what to do. Dropping my mom off at a senior center is not something I can, or want to do. It seeems more like a punishment . Now if someone can suggest something that does not include me dropping my Mom off somewhere or incurring additional expense like day care for my dog I'd be more that grateful to take it into consideration. 

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: What can I do? My Mom keeps feeding the dog people food and its making him sick

Message 22 of 25

Huh?   How is that?   

A dog does not "become" a service dog through osmosis.     A service dog is one who has been carefully screened and then undergoes intensive training for weeks,  months.  Whatever it takes until the trainers are satisfied the dog is ready to be placed with a person with a disability.    

I think you mean your Mom has become quite fond of the dog,  and the dog,  especially if it spends all day alone with her,  has also become quite attached to her.  

That is a far cry from a true service dog.  

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 23 of 25
he has become my Moms service dog so its impossible for me to seperate the two of them
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 24 of 25

If this is happening while you are at work during the day,   is there a doggy daycare center in your area?   Most of them are priced very reasonably and many dogs love 'em for the socialization and fun stuff that goes on.    If there are none in your city  -   maybe the reverse would work. 

Let the dog stay home during the day,  and pack your mother off to the senior center.   Have you considered that? 

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views
Replies

What can I do? My Mom keeps feeding the dog people food and its making him sick

Message 25 of 25

I have been caring for my Mom for about 3 years now and over the last couple of years she has been progressively not remembering things. The last year she has been more and more feeding my dog things such as cantaloupe and bread which make him very sick. I have lost my temper, stayed cool and begged her to stop feeding him even put little signs in the kitchen and her bedroom that say "PLEASE DONT FEED THE DOG" . She promises me she wont do it again and yet she does. I don't even know where to go now. In her episodes of dementia she feeds the dog. ots making him sick.. Any suggestions?

Tags (2)
Kudos
Views
Replies
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

This AARP gamer plays to get back her art and identity after a health scare. Read Regan C.’s story, available now.

gamer Regan C.