Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Re: What can I do? My Mom keeps feeding the dog people food and its making him sick

Message 11 of 25

What inappropriate advice you are getting.  I would be upset if someone said "just pack your mom off to the senior center."  Wow. Good luck to you and don't let one person's negative comments affezct you.  My mom has advanced Parkinsons and that option isn't even a possibility!

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Re: What can I do? My Mom keeps feeding the dog people food and its making him sick

Message 12 of 25

My 14 year old dog was just diagnosed with kidney failure.  My mom still feeds the dog ppl food, although she says she does it less.  It is such a struggle, and I totally understand.  She gets so much joy out of feeding the do that I've been letting her.  Perhaps you can get some clear plastic jars that say DOG TREATS really big and space them through out the house or places that she normally gives your dog treats (like where she eats etc...).

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 13 of 25
I am caregiver for my 94 year old grandma with dementia. She has been living wirh me for year an half. When she moved in her cat moved in too. She does the same thing. Everything she eats she also tries to feed the cat. When the cat started puking, i explained people food is making cat sick. Works for while then right back to feeding cat, even off same spoon. Grosses me out. I'm not sure if she just dont want it or wants to share. I guess one day at a time . Long explanations dont work, so just gotta keep reminding her. Hope you find an answer good luck, God bless you.
Kudos
Views
Contributor
Kudos
Views

Message 14 of 25

My 102 year old mom does the same thing.  After the last vet visit (when she had gained weight) we told mom that the doctor said that the dog was getting too fat and could not have any more people food.  That sunk in, as she loves the dog and doesn't want to hurt her.  Do we have to remind her?  Yes, but not nearly as often as we were and when we do, we bring up the vet visit and she gets it.  Maybe because it's not just 'us' telling her not to do it, but the veterinarian?

Kudos
Views
Respected Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 15 of 25

I had a similiar issue with my grandmother and her cat.  Is there any way you can limit the kind of food that is available for her to feed the dog?  

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 16 of 25

Please don't admit that you just suggested that she pack her mother off to the senior center.  Depending on the level of dementia, the senior center is the last place she should be.  They are not equipped to handle dementia.  Senior/Community Centers do not have upholstered furniture or activities suitable for those with dementia.

It sounds like she may need a companion.  If she is alone with the dog and does not have anything to do to keep her busy, she may be finding joy in feeding the dog (which it sounds like he enjoys).  Talk with a Caseworker or Social Worker - many cities provide case management for free.  They may be able to help you establish some activities for her. 

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 17 of 25
thank you Jay. that is information I can use.
Kudos
Views
Contributor
Kudos
Views

Message 18 of 25

How weird arguing about whether a service dog is a service dog and suggesting day care as the first option.  A lot of peole can't afford that or don't want to.  Anyway, AARP's "Prepare to Care" book has a chapter on how to start difficult conversations.  It sounds like you've already started, but she doesn't remember though... It might give some tips.  In MN the Area Agencies on Aging will conduct free home visits to assess how the environment can be improved for aging people.  They might have some ideas if they do that in your area.

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 19 of 25
what a miserable person you must be. I was hoping that this message board could give me some practical advise .. but instead I get someone that gives me unrealistic advice and then proceeds to give me attitude. Its sad. Your unfriendly attitude and "must be right at all costs" behavior is, disappointing. I thought/ was hoping that there were some nice people here and that I could use this as a resource but this has made me very disillusioned about what it has to offer.
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 20 of 25

Quoting from the,  er,   Calif ,  um,   law,     

http://www.disabilityrightsca.org/pubs/548301.pdf

Kudos
Views
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

This AARP gamer plays to get back her art and identity after a health scare. Read Regan C.’s story, available now.

gamer Regan C.