Refresh your driving skills and learn about new car technology with the AARP Driver Safety page.

Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Re: Week 5 - Care4YouToo Community Contest

Message 11 of 29
Working hard
Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 12 of 29
I have more energy and ease/comfort of movement. But most of all, and I do not say this lightly, I have mental clarity and a much improved capacity for focus.
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 13 of 29

chrome-16.png

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 14 of 29

Six years ago my husband and I quit smoking.  He had smoked for 41 years and I had smoked for 43 years.  Although this is a major accomplishment, I unfortunately replaced my smoking habit with overeating and gained 50 pounds.  Two months ago I finally decided to do something about my weight.  Simply by cutting out in between meal snacking, I have lost 25 pounds and I am halfway to my goal of losing all the weight I gained.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 15 of 29

I have given up added sugar (like in coffee),  go swimming at least every other day. All of my clothes are very loose and I have lost 25 pounds so far. I sure could use that gift card to buy new clothes for the winter - ones that fit me.

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 16 of 29
I have been eating more salads and walking for hours every day. I have been able to keep up on the London and Wales vacation tour. I have been in lots of castles and museums.
Kudos
Views
Gold Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 17 of 29
I notice that if I eat eggs or other protein for breakfast that I am less hungry and less interested in sugary foods to complement breakfast or as a morning snack.  I have switched to having occasional cereal in the evenings, finding that adding dried fruit to hot cereal satisfies my sweet tooth and fills me up so I don't want pre-nighttime snacks.  Of course that dark chocolate always sounds gooooooood and I do put cocoa flavanols every day into my water.

@kathychris66 wrote:

I know what you mean about the sugar. If I have a little, I want more. It is addicting so trying to also find subs. I do like hummus but also try some of that dark ( or semi sweet) chocolated melted and then dip in a strawberry. Yum!!

Kymberly Williams-Evans
Kudos
Views
Gold Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 18 of 29

@kathychris66 wrote:

I know what you mean about the sugar. If I have a little, I want more. It is addicting so trying to also find subs. I do like hummus but also try some of that dark ( or semi sweet) chocolated melted and then dip in a strawberry. Yum!!

Since you mention dark chocolate, I thought it would be of interest to share some recent research results info about cocoa flavanols (found in some dark chocolate). Brain health, artery flexibility and heart health may all be linked to cocoa flavanols. 

Actively Yours,
Alexandra
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 19 of 29

Kudos
Views
AARP Expert
Kudos
Views

Message 20 of 29

I've been cutting way back on sugar and I notice more energy, clear thinking, my tummy isn't so bloated and also my skin is clearer and digestion better. I ate more sugar (and drank more wine!) on vacation and really noticed the difference - I started to feel badly again. This week I'm back on track and I already notice a difference again in how I feel! I'm replacing sugary things with nuts and cut veggies with hummus (a girl's gotta munch!) I do allow myself occasional bites of very dark chocolate (min. 70% cocoa content - preferably 85% cocoa) which satisfies my sweet tooth. It's rich so I don't crave more like I do with higher sugar content chocolate. 

Kudos
Views