Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Should I move my loved one out of a memory care facility with a COVID outbreak?

Contributor

Should I move my loved one out of a memory care facility with a COVID outbreak?

My husband moved to a memory care facility on 12-14-21.  I was visiting him daily until 12-29-21 when I was notified  that there would be not more visits until further notice due to COVID cases among the residents.  It was implied that this was likely due to residents leaving the facility for family Christmas gatherings.  However, I noted when visiting that masks were not worn uniformly by staff which was contrary to what I was told prior to moving him into the facility.  So it's entirely likely that the residents were infected by staff.  Now I'm wondering if I should try to bring him home until this outbreak is under control.  I won't know anything further it seems until 1-3-22 at the earliest when all residents will be retested.

I would greatly appreciate any insight or guidance into this .

0 Kudos
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Contributor

Any facility not practicing health protocol for one issue might be lacking in others. I would first discuss the matter with the facility manager. They need to be willing to answer any questions or it’s a red flag. The facility my mom is in require residents out of the building longer than 24 hours remain in their room for a week. This is a hard time for providers and family period but health safety is a number 1 requirement. Facilities can create sections for Covid patients to protect the entire community. Also, if your parents health will suffer by your absence his doctor can chime in so that you can see him 1 - 2 times a week. If you are up to date on your vaccinations, do wear a mask of high level you should be allowed in. Depending on your parents abilities, they can be brought to a location other than the room which protects others. Try to really limit what you take inside. Also, go to other providers in your area and check their protocol.
Donna ~

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
Contributor

Any facility not practicing health protocol for one issue might be lacking in others. I would first discuss the matter with the facility manager. They need to be willing to answer any questions or it’s a red flag. The facility my mom is in require residents out of the building longer than 24 hours remain in their room for a week. This is a hard time for providers and family period but health safety is a number 1 requirement. Facilities can create sections for Covid patients to protect the entire community. Also, if your parents health will suffer by your absence his doctor can chime in so that you can see him 1 - 2 times a week. If you are up to date on your vaccinations, do wear a mask of high level you should be allowed in. Depending on your parents abilities, they can be brought to a location other than the room which protects others. Try to really limit what you take inside. Also, go to other providers in your area and check their protocol.
Donna ~
0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

https://www.seniorliving.org/nursing-homes/state-federal-regulations/

Check out your state’s info and be your husband’s health advocate.  If necessary retain a lawyer and have them send a letter demanding clarity, compliance, and transparency or you will remove your husband to another facility.

0 Kudos
Contributor

What r u doing that he cannot reside with u. Those places tell u anything to get ur money. What goes around comes back to u. 

0 Kudos
Contributor

No doubt . Take them out. Think about if it were u or would God like that.

0 Kudos
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Centipede® and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP