Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Self care

Hi all, I just wanted to remind everyone here that as caregivers it's important to include yourself. It's not easy and many may feel resentful or depressed, or that they've gained another child. Take moments (where possible) to center, pamper, love and relax yourself. You can't "give" when your own tank is empty and depleted. 

AARP Expert

Yay, Henrietta!  

What Amanda said!

I wonder as i read your post (so important a reminder, thank you!!!) whether you include visiting with other people as 'self care' since social isolation is one of the risks of being a care giver (and care recipient!)  Humans are social animals, and we often lose track of our dearest old friends when we are consumed by caregiving. A conversation at the nearest coffee shop with someone who knew you BEFORE you became immersed with caregiving... that can be such a comfort, and entertaining too. I love to hear other people's stories since they are so much more interesting than my own!

If you can, write more: who do you see that helps you get through?

If i were caregiving again, and i will be soon enough, i'd  a) go to church, b) find or create a knitting circle and do that once a week if possible, c) drag someone to a movie because I LOVE MOVIES, and d) go to a park or a favorite cafe with a stack of pretty note cards and catch up with correspondence so that my old friends and loved ones would get an ACTUAL CARD IN THE MAIL. And then maybe they'd call me.  ๐Ÿ˜‰

Jane

0 Kudos
AARP Expert

That's so right on, Henrietta!  I must admit that self-care has not been my strong suit when times are tough (and as a result have had burnout, adrenal fatigue, the whole bit).  It's been a work in progress to learn how to say "No," ask for help, and make sure I don't burn the candle at both ends.  How do you carve out that time and what do you do for yourself?

Amanda Singleton
All posts are intended to convey general information only and not to provide legal advice or opinions. The posting and viewing of the information in this community should not be construed as, and should not be relied upon for, legal or tax advice in any particular circumstance or fact situation. The information presented may not reflect the most current legal developments. An attorney should be contacted for advice on specific legal issues. Nothing written in this community is intended to create an attorneyโ€‘client relationship. An attorney-client relationship may only be established through direct attorneyโ€‘toโ€‘client communication that is confirmed by the execution of an engagement agreement.
cancel
Showing results forย 
Showย ย onlyย  | Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Block Champ and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP