Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Seeking guidance re: caregiving conversation

Contributor

Seeking guidance re: caregiving conversation

I need to start a productive discussion with my parents regarding caregiving options. They avoid discussing unpleasant topics, including this one. However, they have reached a point where their preferred plan (stay independently at home with no assistance) is no longer viable, though they do not want to accept this fact. Is there any sort of conversation guide here on the AARP site that will help me navigate this conversation? I'm looking for a list of questions and tips for discussing their care with them.
0 Kudos
Contributor

I just started doing care giving for my dad. He doesn't want to be in a Nursing home. So I took 3 months off from work. So I can take care of my dad. I will be having a nurse come in now. So that I can get back to work for a couple of hours three days a week. 

0 Kudos

Found this.  Hope it helps.  Good luck.

5 Communication Tips for Difficult Caregiving Talks (aarp.org)

Periodic Contributor

Hello

I started the caregiving road last fall. Thought I found a good home health agency. I was wrong. My mom not your typical senior. Very private she wouldn't let the care giver in. They were the only way my mom got groceries. One of the caregivers was great. She had put on here weekly form that no groceries were brought in 3 weeks. Nobody read it. I did not receive any calls until Feb 15th 2022 when they did a well person check. She was. Found dead on the kitchen floor. So please check out home health and senior apartment safety protocol. 

shortstuff
Periodic Contributor

Hi Frenchfry1963  -  The conversation is never easy.  22 years ago my parents were 77 and 78 and my Dad was not driving well - my mother quit driving at 65.  So the conversation started with getting them assistance to drive - if you are thinking about moving them somewhere you need to think through options.  My Dad passed first at 87 and my Mom just passed last year at 99.  Every situation is different.  There are a variety of ways to go, but I say talk from your heart about what you would want as you get older and let them tell you what they want and see where it goes.

0 Kudos
cancel
Showing results forย 
Showย ย onlyย  | Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Asteroidsยฎ and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP