The AARP Fraud Resource Center can help you spot and avoid common scams. Visit today!

Regular Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: Road Trip Recommendations with Your Loved One (LO)

Message 1 of 6

Random ideas off the top of my head:

bring music that your loved one/ travel companion knows and likes. Sing along, if its a musical: the HILLLLLLLLLs are a LIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIVE with the sound of MUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUsic....  Why not.

do be mindful of having to pee. wear pullups? of course if they aren't already used to pullups they may balk...

get out to stretch legs, take in a view. Movement decreases agitation. Wakes you up, too, as the driver! Wakey wakey!

and pack pillows so he or she can stretch out or back and snoooooze.

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Community Concierge
Kudos
Views

Re: Road Trip Recommendations with Your LO

Message 2 of 6

That's a great tip! Ugh, sorry you had to deal with such rude people though! I've driven to the Poconos and there really aren't that many places to stop!

AARPJen
Caregiving Concierge
Tags (1)
Kudos
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 3 of 6

Thanks Jen! I participated in a caregivers support group for a couple of years, when my elderly aunt lived with me .. but never heard anyone use "LO".

I remember one incident very vividly, when we went for a day trip to visit friends. It was a summer Sunday, and we were going to visit friends who spent the summer in the Poconos of PA. My aunt had to use the bathroom, and we stopped at one of the few diners along the route. The hostess said we couldn't use the bathroom, unless we were dining there. I offered to buy a couple cups of coffee or just give them $5 for her to use the facilities. She made some ridiculous comment about teens coming in & trashing their bathrooms; they could see that my aunt was 90! The owner came over, and I thought he'd have the good sense to welcome us .. but he just reitterated their restriction on not using the facilities unless you sat down for a meal! We had to drive another 10 miles, to find a large gas station, with restrooms. I was really tempted to write a nasty letter to the local newspaper covering that area!

My take away was to do a little more research on what restroom facilities would be availble, when traveling, and if certain days were better than others.

Registered on Online Community since 2007!
Kudos
Views
Community Concierge
Kudos
Views

Message 4 of 6

Hi Astrea,

LO means Loved One. It is what is used throughout many of the caregiving groups I'm a part of on FB. I'm happy to spell it out at first instance moving forward. 

Jen

AARPJen
Caregiving Concierge
Kudos
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 5 of 6

What is an "LO"?

It's bad enough AARP keeps "upgrading" the website, whether or not we users want the changes, but please don't start using abbreviations with which we're not familiar & can easily manage without. I'm proud to say that I'm from a generation that's not too lazy to use whole words & sentences.

Registered on Online Community since 2007!
Kudos
Views
Community Concierge
Kudos
Views
Replies

Road Trip Recommendations with Your Loved One (LO)

Message 6 of 6

My co-worker is taking her LO on a 4 hour road trip. What are some things she should keep in mind when traveling? He has early stages of dementia, but can walk with assistance. Any suggestions of needs? To dos? Things to keep in mind? 

AARPJen
Caregiving Concierge
Kudos
Views
Replies