Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

AARP Expert

Returning to Work after Caregiving

This program may be of interest to some of you: 

Path Forward is a nonprofit organization "on a mission to empower people to restart their careers after time spent focused on caregiving."  It can be found at http://pathforward.org.

It has worked with many companies, including this year's "returnship" program with Walmart (a return-to-work training program).  The Walmart program  "is open to women and men who have at least five years of professional experience and who have been out of the workforce for at least two years due to their caregiving responsibilities." 

What do you think?  Would a program like this be helpful to bring you back into the workforce after caregiving?  Is there anything like this in your area?

I can certainly see the value in a program like this.  When I was left unemployed after caregiving, it was daunting to think about returning to work.  I had the dream of opening a law firm that served caregivers, but didn't have the energy or capital to do it as I was grieving the loss of both my parents in an 18-month span of time.  I did manage to enroll in Chamber of Commerce courses to learn about opening a small business to keep my dream alive.  By complete happenstance, I ran into a women who was the CEO of a local nonprofit in the Chamber building one day.  When I told her why I was there, she offered a contract position developing programs to help women and minority caregivers.  That work was a stepping stone toward opening my business in 2016.  In my eyes, it was like a "returnship," and I will always be grateful for it. 

Amanda Singleton
All posts are intended to convey general information only and not to provide legal advice or opinions. The posting and viewing of the information in this community should not be construed as, and should not be relied upon for, legal or tax advice in any particular circumstance or fact situation. The information presented may not reflect the most current legal developments. An attorney should be contacted for advice on specific legal issues. Nothing written in this community is intended to create an attorney‑client relationship. An attorney-client relationship may only be established through direct attorney‑to‑client communication that is confirmed by the execution of an engagement agreement.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Centipede® and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP