You can help to pick the winner of the 2018 Movies for Grownups Readers' Choice award! Vote now for your favorite film.

Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Re: Is anyone taking care of a spouse?

Message 281 of 282

Yes, I am taking care of my wife (2) years younger than I am.  She has a mitochondrial mutation that affects her in many ways.  She has had 4 strokes of which there are no visual affects.  There are some problems with communication (aphasia) and mental cognition.  This condition means she will have more strokes and early on set dementia.  Some seems to be already manifesting itself.  It also means that she has to feed through a tube each night (nothing by mouth except meds) and periodically her whole digestive system shuts down.  She manages her feedings each night herself.

I am responsible for everything else in the house.  sometimes i just feel overwhelmed.  Her son could provide me a break in the past if I just needed to get away.  Unfortunately he did a header off a 3rd story balcony last fall and died at 31 years of age.  Thanks for letting me vent.  I need someone to talk to about this.

Gary f

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views
Replies

Re: Is anyone taking care of a spouse?

Message 282 of 282

Hi

I am new to this sight. I have been caregiver to my husband for the last three years and recently had to quit my job and become a full-time caregiver because he can't be alone anymore. He has dementia and Parkinson's and gets lost in our home.It has been a big adjustment because my husband gets so confused with everything and I have to take care of absolutely everything. I feel alone most of the time even though he is here. Unless you are in this situation no-one else understands. Talking with other caregivers is important because we understand the hi's and lo's of our days.

Good Luck and God Bless each of you!

Mary

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Replies