When it comes to your workout, there's a good reason not to go it alone. Check out the benefits of exercise buddies.

Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Re: Physical Therapy/Rehab for the elderly/frail - opinions please

Message 1 of 3
Low blood pressure and an uninary tract infection are usually not life threatening. After those issues were diagnosed, I can see why they would send your father to a nursing home for 20 days to possibly regain the strength he lost with this episode so he could go back to his room at the assisted living facility. That's kind of standard in my opinion. While he is there, they will evaluate him to see if he's safe to go back to assisted living or if he'll need to stay in a nursing home for the rest of his life. Have you talked to the hospital's patient liason or social worker---it's called different things in different places? Perhaps he/she can shed some light on how this transfer took place without family involvement. Who holds the power of attorney for health care decisions for your father and if the answer is "no one" then you dad is making his own choices and no one else would need to approve or be consulted about the move.

As for your question as to why a frail, elderly person would be considered for PT/rehab---nursing home PT is very gentle and if that step after a health episode gets a person back on their feet instead of being permentally assigned to a nursing home it will not only save money in the long run it's also what most patients and their families would prefer---to keep someone out of a nursing home as long as possible.

Best of luck to you and your family. It's not an easy time of life to watch your parent go through this kind of thing.
Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Bronze Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Physical Therapy/Rehab for the elderly/frail - opinions please

Message 2 of 3

My almost 93 year old father, who currently lives in an enhanced assisted living faciltiy, was admitted to the hospital last week with very low blood pressure and a UTI.  I am no expert, but to me I was watching a dying man.  I thought at some point the hospital would discuss end of life/hospice care with our family.  Instead, without any conversation with us, he was sent to a nearby nursing home to start 20 days of physical therapy and rehab.  To say we were stunned was an understatement.  I went to visit him at the hospital only to walk in his room and find another person in the bed.  My father is extremely frail and confused.  Now we are being told that the 20 days of PT are covered by his insurance, but if he wants to leave before the 20 days are up, he has to pay $150 per day out of pocket for the time spent there.  We never signed any paperwork, and were not made aware of any of this until he had already been sent to this place.  I have no paperwork, no documentation, I don't even know who from the hospital authorized this transfer.  Other than the obvious, money, why would such a frail, elderly person even be considered for PT/rehab? 

Kudos
Views
Bronze Conversationalist
Kudos
Views
Replies

Physical Therapy/Rehab for the elderly/frail - opinions please

Message 2 of 3

My almost 93 year old father, who currently lives in an enhanced assisted living faciltiy, was admitted to the hospital last week with very low blood pressure and a UTI.  I am no expert, but to me I was watching a dying man.  I thought at some point the hospital would discuss end of life/hospice care with our family.  Instead, without any conversation with us, he was sent to a nearby nursing home to start 20 days of physical therapy and rehab.  To say we were stunned was an understatement.  I went to visit him at the hospital only to walk in his room and find another person in the bed.  My father is extremely frail and confused.  Now we are being told that the 20 days of PT are covered by his insurance, but if he wants to leave before the 20 days are up, he has to pay $150 per day out of pocket for the time spent there.  We never signed any paperwork, and were not made aware of any of this until he had already been sent to this place.  I have no paperwork, no documentation, I don't even know who from the hospital authorized this transfer.  Other than the obvious, money, why would such a frail, elderly person even be considered for PT/rehab? 

Kudos
Views
Replies