Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Contributor

Parents Solicitation Mail is Hounding Me

Has anyone had experience with this? Both of my parents are suffering from Dementia and health related items. I am the administrator and power of attorney in their care. I had to have their mail forwarded to me. Before we knew my Dad had an issue, he had been giving away money to various charities and now all that mail is following me. I guess the post office informed them of the new address. How can I get this to stop? Nothing seems to be working. I am inundated with this mail and now the phone calls are starting. Any suggestions?

0 Kudos
Contributor

How did you stop the Mail?

Can you share your solution?  

Diane Gladwell, gladwell4@aol.com

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

@DianeG610855 - Please remove your e-mail address; it's not smart to post it on a public website .. before you wind up with more e-mail solicitations as well!!

Registered on Online Community since 2007!
Kudos
Views
0 Kudos
Contributor

I notified every solicitor by calling their 800# (or by email) that the recipient wanted to be removed from their lists. It worked! Took several months for some, but I was consistent. If I heard from them, they heard from me. ๐Ÿ˜‰
Gold Conversationalist

watch it and take action. most likley a scam. aarp mag has had alot about that in last few months.

dont take life too serious
Honored Social Butterfly

The US Postal Service does NOT give forwarding addresses to anyone. The mail goes to the old address, and if there's a forwarding request on file, they slap a new address label on it & send it on to the new address. There's something like a 1 year time limit for forwarding by the USPS, at which time they assume that you've informed those who need to know the new ddress. 

There are many commercial address services that buy mailing lists, and that may be how these unwelcome solicitors have gotten your address for your parents.

I don't think there's anything you can do about it, except wait it out.

Registered on Online Community since 2007!
cancel
Showing results forย 
Showย ย onlyย  | Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Centipedeยฎ and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP