Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

PREPARING FOR THE CARE GIVING ROLE OF MY AGING MOM

PREPARING FOR THE CARE GIVING ROLE OF MY AGING MOM

Any & all advice welcome. I am 48 & my mom is 76. Mom lives indepentaly however is mentally declining & I would like to be ahead of the ball. I have no idea where to even start finding resources. Mom's balance. is awful, often falls out of bed, & needs desperate attention. I have gotten mom a bed rail & we have had a small talk recently about her health which could have went worse.
0 Kudos

Hi, I'd be happy to help since I just went through this with my grandparents last year. I've developed a checklist of tasks and resources and welcome any feedback you have (not sure which city and state your mom lives in). [private email address removed to protect online privacy]

0 Kudos

I just don't where to start.
0 Kudos
Bronze Conversationalist

AARP's CAREGIVER RESOURCE CENTER

Click here  ---->  AARP Resources for Caregivers and their Families

Call Our Resource Line at 1-877-333-5885

Free help for individuals taking care of a loved one

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

AARP Family Caregiving Guides

Click Here --->  AARP's Easy to Download Family Caregiving Guides

Lot's of reading guides available - generalized but can offer helpful hints and plans of action.

Depending on where you live there are local government social agencies for elder care and assistance for caregivers of elders.

Depending on your mother's health care coverage/ insurance - she may be able to receive full/ or part time health attendant; depending on your finances up to assisted living facilities, etc. 

If you have siblings or other relatives you can confide in and share your concerns. 

It will seem to be a heavy burden...There are resources and help - the landscape of options will reveal itself - you are not alone.

๐Ÿ™

cancel
Showing results forย 
Showย ย onlyย  | Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Centipedeยฎ and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP