Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Need Information on Home Care Agencies and Home Care Doctors in Denver Area

Contributor

Need Information on Home Care Agencies and Home Care Doctors in Denver Area

My Dad is 90, and my mom is 84 - they live in Colorado - all their children are out of state.  We're in desperate need of finding reputable home care delivery agencies for my Dad, and physician services that will provide a primary doctor to come to their home.  My mom is in denial of Dad's physical decline, and we're at wits end to find out what is covered by Medicare, Part A, Part B (Humana).

Also looking for assisted living in Centennial area - who's good, who's bad, and cost per month.  Any information anyone has is greatly appreciated!

Thank you,

Eileen Conaty

Community Concierge

@e540999cwrote:

My Dad is 90, and my mom is 84 - they live in Colorado - all their children are out of state.  We're in desperate need of finding reputable home care delivery agencies for my Dad, and physician services that will provide a primary doctor to come to their home.  My mom is in denial of Dad's physical decline, and we're at wits end to find out what is covered by Medicare, Part A, Part B (Humana).

Also looking for assisted living in Centennial area - who's good, who's bad, and cost per month.  Any information anyone has is greatly appreciated!

Thank you,

Eileen Conaty

Eileen,

Since all the children live out of state, I also wanted to point you to our Long Distance Caregiving Careguide. I hope you find this useful in addition to all the good advice you received. 

Write back. 

Jen

AARPJen
Caregiving Concierge
0 Kudos
AARP Expert

@e540999cwrote:

Thank you,

Eileen Conaty

Hi Eileen,

Amy gave you pretty much everything you need to get started. A few thoughts from me. I used to be a discharge planner in a couple of different hospitals, and a geriatric care manager. I think the first red flag that went up for me in your write up is that your mother is in denial. You need to start there. She won't cooperate with serves you arrange for her if she doesn't think she needs it. Nobody likes to be railroaded. I think a family meeting with various adult children present to talk with her is a good way to go. She needs to hear everyone's concern, and she needs you all to hear what she wants done and when. 

Why can't he go into see the doctor? Is transportation hard? Although Humana may pay for a home visiting doctor, i doubt it. (I hope i'm wrong.)  And what does he need done that she can't do? many people balk at having someone who is not family bathe and dress. maybe she can still do that but it sure would be nice to have a house cleaner so she doesn't have to worry about the kitchen, bathroom and vacuuming too. Can everyone in the family pitch in if they can't afford these services? 

It is important to be respectful of your parents even when they are in steep decline. Of course you're worried. Do your due diligence. Make sure everyone is on board. Resentment between siblings is a big problem in caregiving situations. Be respectful of mom. See advice from the area agency on aging (www.eldercare.gov that Amy mentioned), and consider an eldercare attorney WITH your mother.

What do you think you'll tackle first? Please tell us more/ write back. Help us learn from and with you.

Best of luck,

Jane

0 Kudos
AARP Expert

@e540999c

Hi! Home-based care is so awesome - I have discovered many services for my parents that we get at home including doctors, x-rays, lab tests, swallow test etc. 

A few resources for you:

• Call the local Area Agency on Aging and ask if they have a list of physicians and other health care providers who are home-based in your area. They are a great resource for local services and may be able to go to your parents' house and do an in-home assessment for home-based services and supports.  Find your local Area Agency on Aging at www.eldercare.gov 
  • Medicare will cover home-based care in certain circumstances - your parents would have to qualify - a home care provider can help you with that. Most house call physicians will also bill secondary insurance.
  • The American Academy of Home Care Medicine has a locator on their website - here is the link to the Colorado Page
  • Google - put in something like "doctors who make housecalls in Colorado" - I found this one by doing that and there were more.
  • Is your Dad a veteran? Veterans Affairs has home-based primary care programs. He will have to enroll in VA health care (he can still keep his other insurance and Medicare also) and get the VA doc to request home-based care. I have it for my Dad and it is wonderful. Contact VA Caregiver Support Program for help at http://www.caregiver.va.gov/  Toll-free # 1-855-260-3274
  • I've found that once I find one provider who makes house calls they know how to find others - our mobile doctors (which we use in addition to the VA) knows how to order all of the mobile lab tests, x-rays etc. But you could try the other way also - search for mobile x-ray or mobile labs and call and ask if they have any doctors who make house calls they could refer you to. Or call a home health agency and ask. 

Hope this is helpful and you get some support for both you and your parents! Reply to this if you have more questions and I'll be happy to help! 

Take care,

Amy Goyer, AARP Family & Caregiving Expert

Author, Juggling Life, Work and Caregiving and Color Your Way Content When Caring for Loved Ones

0 Kudos
Social Butterfly

Have you looked at AARP Colorado?

https://states.aarp.org/region/colorado/

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Centipede® and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP